New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · say you have to buy all new gear

daskibum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · say you have to buy all new gear

So... here is the deal. I rolled my car into a river a week and a half ago. I had all my gear with me, it went for a swim with me. I shoot mainly wildlife and landscape for hobby. I had:

D750
300 mm F4 AF-S
80-200 2.8 AFD
50mm 1.8 AF-D
35mm 2.0 AF-D
28mm 2.8 AF-D
Sigma 10-20 EX
2X tele-converter TC-20 III

I am thinking of revamping the kit with a:
D750
Nikon 200-500 5.6
Nikon 80-200 2.8
Rokinon 14mm 2.8

However struggling on the the 28, 35 and 50mm. Thinking of trying to go with 1 lens to cover most of that range. I barely used the 80-200 2.8 and the 28mm so those are optional. What would you buy given the situation?

May 29, 2017 at 06:20 PM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · say you have to buy all new gear

daskibum wrote:
I rolled my car into a river a week and a half ago.

You WHAT?

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry!

I'd go:

D750
20mm f/1.8G or 16-35mm (both accept 77mm filters)
35mm prime (great all around, fast aperture, versatile)
80-400mm (best for wildlife)

May 29, 2017 at 06:39 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · say you have to buy all new gear

Elijah wrote:
You WHAT?

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry!

I did indeed. It was not fun. River is an exaggeration... its more of a creek and it was running low because it was snowing and spring runoff had slowed due to cold weather, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been... had it been 6 inches deeper or I landed 15 feet farther downstream there was a good chance I would have drown. But I lived and only minor injuries so its best to laugh.

May 29, 2017 at 06:50 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · say you have to buy all new gear

Those kind of incidents change one's perspective on life. Glad you are OK

The 200-500 is a great choice. Sigma 150-600 Sport or Contemporary are also good choices

If you are not using the 80-200 much, then consider an 80mm f1.8 or f1.4 and save the weight.

I suspect you will want something closer to normal besides the 14mm

Morris

May 29, 2017 at 07:01 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · say you have to buy all new gear

Glad to hear you're okay after your recent adventure. Clearly, it wasn't too serious or you wouldn't be spending your time on a photography website talking about gear. I say that, of course, as a serious gear head myself.

I know I'll sound like a broken record here, but I'd note that with the kind of shooting you do, you might consider taking care of your needs from 28 to 50mm with one or more Nikon manual focus lenses, which can be purchased for a song. They'll give you great performance on that D750 while saving money you can devote to those longer lenses. They're not only reasonably priced, they are small and extremely well built. Just a thought...

May 29, 2017 at 07:37 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · say you have to buy all new gear

I'd get Panny m43 bodies and 3 Leica zooms for them. Then I'd get a D820 and the 24-70 VR zoom for top quality landscapes to exhibit in large fmt.

May 29, 2017 at 07:45 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · say you have to buy all new gear

morris wrote:
Those kind of incidents change one's perspective on life. Glad you are OK

It changed me a little. The soon to be wife has had a harder time dealing with it than I have. lol

CGrindahl wrote:
Glad to hear you're okay after your recent adventure. Clearly, it wasn't too serious or you wouldn't be spending your time on a photography website talking about gear. I say that, of course, as a serious gear head myself.

I got lucky. It was fairly slow speed (maybe 20ish mph) into shallow water. The worst injury was getting the seatbelt off and landing on my head/neck which threw my back out of wack. But insurance is covering the gear, so I figured while I am laid up I should start making my list of replacement gear. But its been at least 5 years since I bought a lens. Probably longer... haven't even looked since I didn't want to be tempted lol.

May 29, 2017 at 08:14 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · say you have to buy all new gear

Do you prefer primes over zooms? Because if not, the 24-70 is an awfully useful lens for landscape work. If not the 24-70, I'd invest in the 1.8g lenses. Perhaps the wonderful 20mm and 85mm to start.

May 29, 2017 at 08:17 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · say you have to buy all new gear

Surfnsun wrote:
Do you prefer primes over zooms? Because if not, the 24-70 is an awfully useful lens for landscape work. If not the 24-70, I'd invest in the 1.8g lenses. Perhaps the wonderful 20mm and 85mm to start.

Most of what I ran were primes. Weight is a consideration. I do 5 to 10 mile hikes into remote areas sometimes. Try to pack light for that. So primes might be better in that regard.

May 29, 2017 at 08:23 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · say you have to buy all new gear

daskibum wrote:
Weight is a consideration. I do 5 to 10 mile hikes into remote areas sometimes. Try to pack light for that.

Heck with hiking. You drive your car into rivers sometimes. Weight should be your only consideration.

Glad you're okay buddy.

May 29, 2017 at 08:36 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · say you have to buy all new gear

See if this works...

https://68.media.tumblr.com/87bbdfd355943fe10d9cf046588e80f7/tumblr_oq5xt8jAkv1uq8bhao1_1280.jpg

May 29, 2017 at 08:45 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · say you have to buy all new gear

W o w

May 29, 2017 at 08:49 PM
D5100 Dude
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · say you have to buy all new gear

Holy smokes, glad your alright.

May 29, 2017 at 10:48 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · say you have to buy all new gear

Things like that tend to get women overly upset. Good thing she wasn' with you. I was driving around Kansas with my wife 32 years ago and ran out of gas two miles from a town. She still talks about it. As for camera gear, think through what you used and didn't use much and go from there. I would consider a used 70-200mm f2.8 VR1 instead of 80-200mm now that prices have dropped.

Kent in (Mt. Rainer NP) SD

May 30, 2017 at 11:17 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · say you have to buy all new gear

If I was starting over with landscape and wildlife photography in mind I would go with Canon and not Nikon for my gear. Far more telephoto lens choices with Canon and less expensive super telephotos. With Canon the tilt shift axis orientation can be changed in the field and do not require sending the lens to the manufacturer for the change. Also a better wireless flash system. Canon is superior for shooting video and has a full line of cine lenses and third party gear options. The only area where Nikon is superior is with respect to the D500 and D5 cameras with their new autofocus system.

I have over $50,000 invested in Nikon cameras and lenses so the switch is not something I will be doing unless my house burns down.

May 30, 2017 at 12:15 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · say you have to buy all new gear

elkhornsun wrote:
If I was starting over with landscape and wildlife photography in mind I would go with Canon and not Nikon for my gear. Far more telephoto lens choices with Canon and less expensive super telephotos. With Canon the tilt shift axis orientation can be changed in the field and do not require sending the lens to the manufacturer for the change. Also a better wireless flash system. Canon is superior for shooting video and has a full line of cine lenses and third party gear options. The only area where Nikon is superior is with respect to the D500 and
...Show more

Taking over from here, since elkhornsun is onto something.

Neither in landscape, nor in wildlife do you have a significant gain from a 24x36mm sensor. Sure, there is the thing about acuity and light gathering and stuff, but the tradeoff is (depending on camera) either a much higher price, or less features that really help you.

If I had to start over, with your choice of subjects, I would buy:

D500 or D810 (an 15 Mpix crop is almost as good as 20 Mpix from a cropped sensor)

Sigma 120-300 f2,8 Sport with 1,4x and 2x TC's
Sigma 35mm f1,4 Art
Nikon 85mm f1,4 AF-D

May 30, 2017 at 01:02 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · say you have to buy all new gear

I am seriously considering an 810 with a 200-500 VR, the 24-120mm F4 as a walk around, testing the primes I have to see if they work (they are not fogged up where as you can see water moving around in the 300F4 and the 80-200) and an older 70-200 (or a used 80-200 for $600). If the 35 and 50 I have are screwed up they are cheap to replace at least. Then I can cover 24 to 500mm with very little gap. Its only about $500 more than the kit I had been using to do it this way, and since I rarely shoot needing faster than F4, it seems like a decent setup...

May 30, 2017 at 08:02 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · say you have to buy all new gear

I still have a bunch of pre-Ai, Ai, Ai-S and even a an AF-D 20 mm prime, but the only time I really want a prime is when I want a narrow DoF. Otherwise, I just stop down a zoom.

VR and good sensor performance is the reason...

May 31, 2017 at 02:48 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · say you have to buy all new gear

daskibum wrote:
See if this works...

I was too horrified to notice before but that's a really gorgeous shot, daskibum.

May 31, 2017 at 03:20 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · say you have to buy all new gear

nolaguy wrote:
I was too horrified to notice before but that's a really gorgeous shot, daskibum.

Lol. That was the shot the fiancé took for insurance just in case...

Battle to get homeowners to cover the gear.

Jun 02, 2017 at 03:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.