New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Zeiss 135 apo

kenji
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss 135 apo

I am curious about this lens,I have seen pics on flicker. it looks sharp but doesn't have that 3D pop, is it just me? What do you think?

Thanks for your input

May 29, 2017 at 06:14 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss 135 apo

kenji wrote:
I am curious about this lens,I have seen pics on flicker. it looks sharp but doesn't have that 3D pop, is it just me? What do you think?

Thanks for your input

There are two Zeiss 135 APO Sonnar's; one is an F2 model in Z* mount (classic or Milvus). The other is the Batis f2.8 Apo Sonnar for Sony full frame E mount.

Both are about as sharp as any lens for the 135 format, and both have as much 3D pop as I can imagine (although I'm not at all sure that any two people mean exactly the same thing by this). But if it means high contrast, micro contrast and the subject suspended in a clear colour error free background, there's plenty.

May 29, 2017 at 06:31 PM
kenji
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss 135 apo

miluvs is just rehousing from the classic. it's sharp with good bokeh, but not 3d pop.

May 29, 2017 at 06:41 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss 135 apo

kenji wrote:
miluvs is just rehousing from the classic. it's sharp with good bokeh, but not 3d pop.

Milvus is rehousing, pus different coatings on one element. Agreed though little difference in IQ.

But I'm confused: you started the thread asking for opinions about the "3d Pop" of the these lenses, but now you are sure it doesn't have this? Plenty of people think that (given what they mean) that they have it more than almost any other lens.

If you( or I or anyone else for that matter) want to make the case either way, I think images are required - and many of them, and more importantly ones which are largely the same in focal length and composition.

But I bow out, because it's going to depend on what exactly is meant by 3d pop - and there have been plenty of threads on that in the past, and none of them have really settled it.

May 29, 2017 at 08:42 PM
MIRANDA1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss 135 apo

Does this qualify as 3D pop out of the APO SOnnar?Easy to do with the APO

Zeiss APO 135 Sony A7R by Jose Raposo, on Flickr

Coimbra, Cidade do Encanto by Jose Raposo, on Flickr

May 29, 2017 at 10:20 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss 135 apo

Obviously a 135mm lens will not have the same "pop" as that of a shorter focal length, because of its compression of perspective. That said, I never found my 135 APO lacking in that department, on the contrary. What a great lens!

May 29, 2017 at 11:25 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss 135 apo

I don't fine that the Zeiss ZF 135mm APO is lacking of 3D pop.

May 30, 2017 at 10:07 AM
kenji
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss 135 apo

philber wrote:
Obviously a 135mm lens will not have the same "pop" as that of a shorter focal length, because of its compression of perspective. That said, I never found my 135 APO lacking in that department, on the contrary. What a great lens!

True, thanks for poiningt out, I guess I need to see some close up shots

May 30, 2017 at 10:15 AM
kenji
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss 135 apo

ocean2059 wrote:
I don't fine that the Zeiss ZF 135mm APO is lacking of 3D pop.

Now I see 3D pop and nice bokeh, thanks

May 30, 2017 at 10:17 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss 135 apo

Apr 13, 2018 at 02:02 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss 135 apo

I bought this lens on a whim. I didn't expect it to be a long term keeper. I could frankly use the funds for a couple other things I'm interested in, but I can't let it go!

Apr 13, 2018 at 02:30 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.