New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

shaunmcfd
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD

It would be used for family portraits, weddings, etc.

Can get a new lens from Canada for $699 (usd) with a 1 year intl warranty and can add a 6 year extended warranty for $29.

May 29, 2017 at 01:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

Sounds like a great deal. Make sure they can ship it to you by Canada Post (delivered by USPS), because that improves the chances that you won't get charged sales tax and ensures that any handling fees will be reasonable (as opposed to using a courier, which can cost a lot more).

I don't know this lens, but I expect it'll be fine on a 6D. Great camera.

May 29, 2017 at 02:37 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

I had that lens for some time, and sold it to fund an EF 24-70 f2.8L II. The Tamron will get you some photographs, and some handheld that you wouldn't be able to get without stabilization, but its IQ isn't particularly good. It depends on how the trade-offs between price, IQ, and stabilization align for you.

May 29, 2017 at 02:52 PM
woos
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

It's a crazy sale, so if you don't like it (and you might not, but meh) you could resell it and get your money back later and not lose anything.

May 29, 2017 at 03:14 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

It's a nice lens. I would have kept it except for the coma with night sky.

May 29, 2017 at 04:49 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

Most testing shows the Tamron to be a bit better than the 24-70 f/2.8 v1 in IQ and the VC is good for 2.5-3 stops, nice to have and in fact Canon is working on new 24-70 f/2.8 IS. That's a good deal for a top lens, can't complain about that for about 1/3rd the 24-70L II price.

May 29, 2017 at 10:45 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

woos wrote:
It's a crazy sale, so if you don't like it (and you might not, but meh) you could resell it and get your money back later and not lose anything.

I'm not sure the off-brand lenses hold their value that well... you may have a tough time getting your money back compared to a Canon lens.

May 30, 2017 at 08:25 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

The current average selling price on eBay for the SP 24-70/2.8 VC in Mint/Like New condition [M/LN] is about $730 US, which would be about $650 US after deducting fees (and not incl. shipping).

May 30, 2017 at 08:33 AM

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

molson wrote:
I'm not sure the off-brand lenses hold their value that well... you may have a tough time getting your money back compared to a Canon lens.

The Canon brand is not a panacea... For example, I was unable to sell my 70-200/2.8 L IS lens (unless I had agreed to offload it for peanuts), and in the end I decided that I'd rather keep it until it falls to pieces. I've had no more or less luck selling Canon, Minolta, Sigma or Tokina lenses... all had to go for significantly less than the (used-)market value anyway. Maybe I just have no haggling skills whatsoever, who knows.

May 30, 2017 at 08:55 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

I'd plan on buying the most cost effective lens that suits your needs. If you are planning on regularly using it, I would not worry too much about losses after reselling. Compared to a long term rental, it is still a deal.

May 30, 2017 at 09:16 AM

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

Oh, and on topic - this is the lens I'd be getting if I had been in the market for a pro grade standard zoom, especially a fast one (at f/4, the Canon 24-70/4 L also looks compelling). I believe the new Sigma 24-70 OS Art is going to be better, but it's not yet released (correct me if I am wrong), and it's bound to be quite a bit more expensive.

May 30, 2017 at 09:19 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

P.S. I'm very happy with the 6D + EF 24-70/4L IS (24-105/4L IS, too). I traded-down from the EF 24-70/2.8L II last year, to save on size and weight, plus to get IS for slow shutter speeds. The high ISO performance on the 6D is so good, that I don't mind cranking up ISO by one stop, to "match" the higher shutter speed that I could get with a f/2.8 lens. More often, when shooting static subjects in low light, I'm shooting at the same or slower shutter speeds than I would use on the f/2.8 lens, and using IS to keep the images sharp.

May 30, 2017 at 09:41 AM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

I have had the same experience as Jim, finding an f/4 lens adequate most of the time with the 6D most of the time because of the excellent high ISO performance.

Just food for thought, your needs might be different.

May 30, 2017 at 09:56 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

Having shot both this Tamron and the current Canon for events on the 6D, I'll say that the Tamron is certainly 'good enough'.

What mattered more than IQ, and I was certainly impressed enough with the Tamron, was AF speed and VC quirkiness (it takes a moment to start up and can blur shots).

Whether it will be suitable for your work is up for debate; I rented and was pleased with both.

May 30, 2017 at 02:54 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thoughts on this lens to pair with 6D

If I had a 6D and needed a general purpose zoom, I'd get the 24-70 4L IS USM: pin sharp, nominal distortion and flare, blazing fast AF, high performance IS and darn good as a quasi macro lens. Wait, I do have that combo!

May 30, 2017 at 07:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.