New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · D500 w/MB-D17 Issue

Wilvoeka
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 w/MB-D17 Issue

Hey guys I am wondering if any of you have had an issue like this.

I just got my D500 and grip, I only have the one battery that came with the camera, so it is a genuine Nikon battery and one of the newer ones.

With a fully charged battery...
When I have the battery in the grip the Battery level will flash off and on and BP will flash and not show the battery level. If I put the battery in the camera the battery level displays with no issue. If I attach the grip with the battery in the camera it starts doing the intermittent battery level and BP flashing.

The camera functions fine, but not being able to see the battery level is annoying to say the least.

So it is obviously and issue with the grip, I just don't know if its the actual grip or the connection port in the camera.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this before and can clue me in to whether I will need to return the grip or the camera?

May 28, 2017 at 10:14 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 w/MB-D17 Issue

Return both for evaluation.

May 28, 2017 at 10:26 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 w/MB-D17 Issue

I had an issue like this with a Meike grip (or however you spell it)

There was a connection issue between the grip and camera. Cleaning the contacts helped a little, but the only solution was to dump the grip. So much for saving money on a cheaper one.

May 29, 2017 at 12:15 AM
Wilvoeka
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 w/MB-D17 Issue

**UPDATE**

I have also noticed that wiggling the grip can make it worse or better depending on the orientation of the grip. Holding the camera by the grip in portrait orientation the issue will becomes less(Less flashing and I can see the indicator) in landscape mode it is more erratic and the I cant see the indicator most of the time.

I will call for an exchange on Tuesday when the store opens. I also sent an email to Nikon support to see if the have anything to say about it.

May 29, 2017 at 12:29 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 w/MB-D17 Issue

Wilvoeka wrote:
**UPDATE**

I have also noticed that wiggling the grip can make it worse or better depending on the orientation of the grip. Holding the camera by the grip in portrait orientation the issue will becomes less(Less flashing and I can see the indicator) in landscape mode it is more erratic and the I cant see the indicator most of the time.

I will call for an exchange on Tuesday when the store opens. I also sent an email to Nikon support to see if the have anything to say about it.

Yep, that's exactly the issue I had.

You need a new grip.

May 29, 2017 at 12:33 AM
evan47
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 w/MB-D17 Issue

You shouldnt really be able to "wiggle" the grip. Mine does not move at all.
Is it tightened properly?
As far as I remember, when you remove the rubber connector port cover for the grip connection you should place it in the recess in the grip to store it and help prevent the grip from moving (all my nikon grips have had this recess......I have had 6 of them in my time).
Cleaning the connections with a blower may help too.

May 29, 2017 at 06:09 AM
Wilvoeka
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 w/MB-D17 Issue

evan47 wrote:
You shouldnt really be able to "wiggle" the grip. Mine does not move at all.
Is it tightened properly?
As far as I remember, when you remove the rubber connector port cover for the grip connection you should place it in the recess in the grip to store it and help prevent the grip from moving (all my nikon grips have had this recess......I have had 6 of them in my time).
Cleaning the connections with a blower may help too.

You cant see or feel it "wiggle" but just small amounts of pressure change on the grip when holding it will cause the issue to decrease or increase.

Grip cant be tightened any more, rubber cover inserted in grip, already used a blower to clean out the contact ports.

May 29, 2017 at 07:06 AM
Wilvoeka
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 w/MB-D17 Issue

With the grip off I checked it and there is a lot of wiggle to the electronic connector port on it. It seems to have a rubber boot around the bottom of it(for weather sealing) so I am guessing there should be a small amount of wiggle to it but I am not sure how much.

I have tightened the grip as much as I can, when the battery indicator and BP/Camera Icon are flickering if I put my fingers on the top of the left side of the camera and my thumb under the grip and give a gentle pinch everything will stop flashing and show correctly. So it seems like the weather seal may be lose or improperly installed causing it not to seat correctly.

May 29, 2017 at 07:42 AM
Wilvoeka
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 w/MB-D17 Issue

Well I think I figured it out, it is the CAMERA.

I went to put my camera on the tripod and when I mounted the tripod plate I could not get it to get tight enough to prevent the plate from freely rotating. Once the plate is as tight as it will go I can still easily rotate the plate around. If I mount it to the grip it easily locks down and can not be rotated.

So it appears the threads in the cameras tripod mount are either to shallow or where damaged, I can not see any damage though(and my 9 to 5 job is quality control in a facility that taps weld nuts for Honda so I know bad threads).

May 29, 2017 at 08:45 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500 w/MB-D17 Issue

Outrageous!

If it mine it already on its way back.

Where did you buy this? I never deal with anyone except B and H.

Robert King

May 29, 2017 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.