New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Getting used to EM 1

kentvinyard
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Getting used to EM 1

finally got my pan Leica 100-400. Getting a few decent shots.

kentvinyard 2017

white tail doe

kentvinyard 2017

young whitetail buck

kentvinyard 2017

Brown thrasher from the back yard

Jun 23, 2017 at 02:02 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Getting used to EM 1

bobbytan wrote:
The E-M5 is 5 years old so I am guessing the E-M1.2 is about 2 stops better. Plus at least a 1 stop improvement in IBIS.

Check out the DXO Mark sensor ratings/score and noise performance on these 3 cameras:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-80D-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5___1136_1076_793

It's nice to see progress being made by Olympus, but since you put that DXO chart Bobby, the whole story should be told. Those ISO numbers where Olympus scores 1312 ISO versus the Five year old E-M5 are 2/3 of a stop better is sensor iso sensitivity.

To be unbiased and shed full light on the numbers (pardon the pun) It must be noted that when the sensitivity is set for the Canon at iso 1600, it turns out, under testing to be an actual sensitivity of 1088. In contrast a true sensitivity of the OM-D EM-1 mkii, is only iso 688 for Olympus.

So what the new flagship shoots when you set the iso to 1600 is actually less than half the iso value. At iso 6400 the real value is 2797. I won't speculate why Olympus is always so far off the stated values but I've always noticed it when switching from one to another. of my three brand systems. It's not apples to apples, not even close.

My personal standard for the OM-D E5 is iso 1600, which is actually about iso 800 in reality. So it's nice to see progress, but as low light machines, the full numbers don't paint Olympus in flattering light. That's the reality DXO shows, though who cares really if the results are good enough for the prospective owner, seeing as life is always about trade offs.

Fortunately noise reduction is getting better and better and the best shots normally still require good light.

Jun 23, 2017 at 09:46 PM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password