New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Getting used to EM 1

kentvinyard
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Getting used to EM 1

Bought this little camera a couple of weeks ago and I am beginning to get used to how it works. Only have the Olympus 75-300 ll but am able to get some decent images. Comments are appreciated.

kentvinyard 2016

Painted bunting

kentvinyard 2016

Great crowned flycatcher

kentvinyard 2016

Immature painted bunting

kentvinyard 2016

Brown thrasher

May 29, 2017 at 02:18 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Getting used to EM 1

Welcome to the m43 forum!

I really like you images, specially number 3 with great composition!
Are the shots heavily cropped? Looks like either heavy crops or it might just be the lens that is a bit on the soft side, not the entire world. The important thing is the picture in it self!

How are you finding the move to m43 from Nikon?

May 30, 2017 at 07:36 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Getting used to EM 1

Hi Kent! Nice set. I too am making a switch , big learning curve for me . I am learning that I need to rethink how I shoot and the settings.

Birdie

May 30, 2017 at 02:57 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Getting used to EM 1

All mirrorless cameras have a much steeper learning curve than the DSLR. It's because there is a gazillion features, modes and options, and it's ridiculously customizable ... but once you get to know how it works, the in-camera tools that you have at your disposal is just mind-boggling. It's all good if you can overcome the learning curve!

May 30, 2017 at 03:19 PM
kentvinyard
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Getting used to EM 1

Thanks to all. I have not been totally happy with the 75-300 as I bought it for a trial run with m4/3. Most of the shots were cropped a little. As soon as I get some funds that are coming I will purchase the pan-leica 100-400 lens as it appears to be a much better lens. Birdie, I can understand the learning cure all to well, but at 74 I am tired of lugging those big nikkor lenses around. Every one here on FM has been real helpful. I'll get there.

May 30, 2017 at 03:59 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Getting used to EM 1

kentvinyard wrote:
Thanks to all. I have not been totally happy with the 75-300 as I bought it for a trial run with m4/3. Most of the shots were cropped a little. As soon as I get some funds that are coming I will purchase the pan-leica 100-400 lens as it appears to be a much better lens. Birdie, I can understand the learning cure all to well, but at 74 I am tired of lugging those big nikkor lenses around. Every one here on FM has been real helpful. I'll get there.

If it were not for all the help from the forum, I think I would have given up already !!

Totally understand about aging and having to lighten the load. I have only purchased the 60mm macro lens so far.

Still agonizing over which telephoto lens to buy. Now if I could quickly sell my Nikon gear , that would help.

We will get there !

Birdie

May 30, 2017 at 07:14 PM
kentvinyard
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Getting used to EM 1

Birdie
Yes selling off my Nikon gear is the hard part. Just got the 200-500 a few months ago and I know I will take a beating when I sell it. If I can get close to the results that Imagemaster does with his pan-leica 100-400 I'll be a very happy camper.

May 31, 2017 at 12:22 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Getting used to EM 1

It would help a lot if you guys know someone local who is already shooting with an Olympus. But we are here to offer any assistance that you may need - so please don't be afraid to ask!

birdied wrote:
If it were not for all the help from the forum, I think I would have given up already !!

Totally understand about aging and having to lighten the load. I have only purchased the 60mm macro lens so far.

Still agonizing over which telephoto lens to buy. Now if I could quickly sell my Nikon gear , that would help.

We will get there !

Birdie

May 31, 2017 at 01:08 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Getting used to EM 1

Bobby, I'll ask: I have a couple of E-M5s, and I rather like them except for the noise in the images. I really like the lenses I have. But I bought a Canon 80D, and I've been considering selling my Olympus stuff. My question is, how much improvement does the E-M1 Mk II provide in terms of cleaner images than the original E-M5?

May 31, 2017 at 03:11 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Getting used to EM 1

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Bobby, I'll ask: I have a couple of E-M5s, and I rather like them except for the noise in the images. I really like the lenses I have. But I bought a Canon 80D, and I've been considering selling my Olympus stuff. My question is, how much improvement does the E-M1 Mk II provide in terms of cleaner images than the original E-M5?

The E-M5 is 5 years old so I am guessing the E-M1.2 is about 2 stops better. Plus at least a 1 stop improvement in IBIS.

Check out the DXO Mark sensor ratings/score and noise performance on these 3 cameras:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-80D-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5___1136_1076_793

Edited on May 31, 2017 at 06:23 AM · View previous versions

May 31, 2017 at 03:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Getting used to EM 1

What Bobby said, don't be afraid to ask. Some of us are gear heads and love not only shooting photos but also discussing the gear.

Unfortunately I don't yet have the E-M1.2 but hoping to add it in the future, it'll be some time before that happens though.

@Ernie Aubert
What would be the reason you might want to sell the Canon and go for the E-M1.2?

As for noise in Olympus images, yes it is higher then larger sensors but I've been printing A3 format these past few days, that's 30x42cm or 11,7x16,5 inches, shots from 200 ISO to 1600 ISO and I can't find any noise in the prints. I'm sure some pixel peeper would see it with a magnifier though. The noise is clearly more visible when looking at the screen when compared to say a Nikon D5 or Canon 1D but really, it would take some pretty large prints to see it and most of us rarely print that large. I will try and print a 6400 ISO shot in A3 size if possible, mostly because I've never tried it before.

@kentvinyard I'm quite sure you will see much improved results from the Pan-Leica 100-400!

May 31, 2017 at 05:05 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Getting used to EM 1

Thanks, Bobby. Wilbus, I won't be selling the 80D; I have lots of Canon stuff - lenses, flashes, etc. - that I'll definitely be keeping. I got M43 cameras originally to take on motorcycle rides. I've stopped riding, so that reason is gone, but I still have the cameras; and while having them, GAS caused me to get some of the best lenses. So I'm still debating whether to sell it all or get an E-M1 II.

After getting the 80D, I did a test with that against an E-M5; same lens on a tripod, changing cameras. The 80D was the clear winner. That's when I started to consider selling all the Olympus stuff. Then the E-M1 II appeared. Perhaps I should rent one...

May 31, 2017 at 02:39 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Getting used to EM 1

According to the DXO tests/reviews, the E-M1.2 edges out the 80D in noise performance. And remember that you can still use your Canon lenses on the E-M1.2. As a matter of fact, your Canon primes will do extremely well on the E-M1.2. Yes, it will be a good idea for you to rent the E-M1.2 so you can test and compare the results against the 80D. In terms of feature set the E-M1.2 trumps the 80D or any other DSLR ... or any other camera actually ... DSLR or mirrorless!

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Thanks, Bobby. Wilbus, I won't be selling the 80D; I have lots of Canon stuff - lenses, flashes, etc. - that I'll definitely be keeping. I got M43 cameras originally to take on motorcycle rides. I've stopped riding, so that reason is gone, but I still have the cameras; and while having them, GAS caused me to get some of the best lenses. So I'm still debating whether to sell it all or get an E-M1 II.

After getting the 80D, I did a test with that against an E-M5; same lens on a tripod, changing cameras. The 80D was
...Show more

May 31, 2017 at 03:01 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Getting used to EM 1

Ernie: This Imaging Resource "Comparometer" is a cool way to compare the images between 2 different cameras. So you can compare the results from the Canon 8D vs the E-M1.2. Just double-click on the selected ISO of both images for a side-by-side comparison:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Ernie Aubert wrote:

After getting the 80D, I did a test with that against an E-M5; same lens on a tripod, changing cameras. The 80D was
...Show more

May 31, 2017 at 08:37 PM
sassykoi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Getting used to EM 1

I am a nikon owner but purchased the new Olympus and pro lenses. I have yet to get a picture inside that is as good. I am hoping it is my photography skills

May 31, 2017 at 09:10 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Getting used to EM 1

Thanks again, Bobby.

Jun 01, 2017 at 12:51 AM
smkunder

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Getting used to EM 1

I am thinking about this system to add to my Nikon system and not replace, it just seems like a great way to go to be lightweight in certain situations . It seems like many others are moving to replace, is that something that happens because everyone just enjoys shooting this way more?

Jun 08, 2017 at 12:17 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Getting used to EM 1

Yes, it's just a fun camera to shoot with once you get over the learning curve of a mirrorless camera, and the IQ is surprisingly good - as good as any APS-C camera. I think this camera is the epitome of ideal size/weight compared to any DSLR, especially with the longer lenses. That's what makes it such a fun (and serious) camera.

smkunder wrote:
I am thinking about this system to add to my Nikon system and not replace, it just seems like a great way to go to be lightweight in certain situations . It seems like many others are moving to replace, is that something that happens because everyone just enjoys shooting this way more?

Jun 08, 2017 at 05:10 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Getting used to EM 1

sassykoi wrote:
I am a nikon owner but purchased the new Olympus and pro lenses. I have yet to get a picture inside that is as good. I am hoping it is my photography skills

I too shoot Nikon (both FF and DX). It's hard to know whether it is an expectation, settings, or processing issue without more details. You might try starting a separate thread with some examples and exif information as their are lots of folks on this site with lots of experience who can point you in a better direction.

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:45 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Getting used to EM 1

kentvinyard wrote:
As soon as I get some funds that are coming I will purchase the pan-leica 100-400 lens as it appears to be a much better lens.

I bought one recently. The images (only tried at 400mm so far) are superb. As widely reported, the zoom ring is very stiff. So it might be best to try before you buy.

Harold

Jun 12, 2017 at 06:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password