New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Single large brolly vs twin small

leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Single large brolly vs twin small

I have a shoot coming up which requires semi-volume group shots against white background. Not much scope for adjustments in post due to nature of delivery.

Space is limited so I'm making a few compromises - main one being I'm using my 8'x7' HiLite rather than conventional white paper/cloth backgrounds and all the kit that it requires.

It is this space limitation which causes me to re-think things. I'll have just a total 12x15 feet to include HiLite, lighting, camera position etc.

And because space is limited I'll need to get my groups (of 5 people each) standing with their toes just 30" in front of the HiLite.

(Tests show that if I light the HiLite @ 1.3 stops above the main key, there won't be any horrible over backlighting on the subjects).

Now the question is to how I light the subjects...

My preference is always to shoot with a single XL white Profoto White Deep brolly which at some 64" diameter, does give me good coverage.

However at the possible 10-11 ft from the subjects, I'll get a slight fall off of about 1/2 stop at the extreme ends of the groups.

So I can add a diffuser which will solve the issue, (but that eats up 22" of very precious lens to subject distance because I can't place myself within the big brolly.

Or I can use two small Profoto white brollies either side, pointing straight forward, (rather than at a slight angle), which gives me very even coverage left to right, but I'm not loving the twin catchlights.

(I don't think I'll get twin shadow issues as the background is white and I'm lighting quite flat for speed and ease.)

Brief is to take fun group shots of award winning teams, so nothing is too critical - but I'm forever the perfectionist.

If I had a little more space then life would be easy, but this is the hand I'm dealt.

Which would be your preference? Single big brolly or twin smaller ones?

May 28, 2017 at 04:46 PM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Single large brolly vs twin small

clamshell with two large strip boxes

May 29, 2017 at 01:36 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Single large brolly vs twin small

Interesting thought...

I quickly set up a stripbox and then realised that the depth (Profoto ones are quite deep) and the protrusion in front of the light / lightstand is quite a bit - which makes the light source much closer to the subject than I'd like. (Fall-off can be a bitch and I may need to squeeze subjects into a bunch rather than a straight row).

My space limitation of 15x12ft is a killer. Possible to do, but with compromises. (I guess these may not be going in my portfolio, but it pays the bills...)

May 29, 2017 at 07:19 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Single large brolly vs twin small

leethecam wrote:
Or I can use two small Profoto white brollies either side, pointing straight forward, (rather than at a slight angle), which gives me very even coverage left to right, but I'm not loving the twin catchlights.

The two, as close to one another as possible, feathered out so your light covers the group evenly. Keeping them close makes them act as one single-height but double-width light source.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

May 29, 2017 at 06:01 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Single large brolly vs twin small

I've tried the strip-light set up, but with a couple of 4x3ft softboxes instead.

These are slightly less deep and together they give a simple, almost single catchlight.

It looks a bit overpowering, but at least it's impressive. I'm sure my client thinks I'll be doing this with a speedlight.

But this does seem to be the best solution overall.

May 29, 2017 at 08:34 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password