1       2      
       4              16       17       end

Sony A9 Image Thread

LBJ2
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony A9 Image Thread

arbitrage wrote:
Do you have any birding examples you can share? What lens are you using for the birds?

Edited on May 29, 2017 at 09:19 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2017 at 11:22 PM
LBJ2
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Birds!

Edited on May 29, 2017 at 09:19 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2017 at 11:25 PM
LBJ2
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Arbitrage. I am not happy with my BIF results. But here are a few. Wish I could blame it on the gear.
P.S. not sure why EXIF data is not showing up with the A9 photos I am posting on this forum today.

May 28, 2017 at 11:48 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Couple more quickies more about color here

ILCE-9    Zeiss Distagon T FE 35 mm F1.4 ZA (SEL35F14Z) lens    35mm    f/5.6    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-9    Zeiss Distagon T FE 35 mm F1.4 ZA (SEL35F14Z) lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/10000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 29, 2017 at 03:01 AM
scrappydog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony A9 Image Thread

LBJ2 wrote:
Birds!

@LBJ2, how is the dynamic range of the A9? Your shot of the wood stork looks underexposed yet the whites are pretty hot. Have you pushed the files?

May 29, 2017 at 03:08 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Fred Miranda wrote:
The amount of aberration is a lens property though. It could be that the in-camera processing or external post-processing software converts files differently. For example, CaptureOne's processing gives me less LoCA for my A7RII files with its default settings when compared to Lightroom.

To compensate for the extra chat, I would have to post a A9 image now but I didn't get this camera!
Post some images for me guys.

Completely agree with you on all fronts. And agree with you about in camera corrections. So I'm guessing the A9 doesn't have the same sort of built in corrections that the A7rII has with current firmware.

I was just bringing up another instance where sensor stack, and reflective light off the sensor covering causes weird "lens like" issues including but not limited to making CA more prevalent. Like my example with the Noctilux (that is also well documented around the net).

May 29, 2017 at 03:59 AM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Wow...That Red Chevy looks like it's popping right out of my monitor..

May 29, 2017 at 04:17 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Bliss

ILCE-9 + Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS @ 300mm, ISO 640, f/5.6, 1/2000s - Silent Shutter.

May 29, 2017 at 05:00 AM
Holger
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony A9 Image Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Here is a great example of what not to do!

I shot my wife with the 85GM into the sun. All is fine, but I was testing the metering options to see if I could get one that would work in this kind of situation (shot shutter priority for this test). I couldn't and honestly the meter was just all over the place again, like with my testing indoors. So since it doesn't seem anyone is pushing and pulling photos around here yet, I'll post one that needed to be pushed. Normally I would just get my shit right, but seeing
...Show more

In accordance with Dpreview's test (https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7266455439/sony-a9-real-world-iso-invariance-and-dynamic-range) there is quite some noise visible (you didn't add grain, did you?). So it seems the A9 is not as well suited for pushing from base ISO as the A7rii.

May 29, 2017 at 05:06 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Holger wrote:
In accordance with Dpreview's test (https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7266455439/sony-a9-real-world-iso-invariance-and-dynamic-range) there is quite some noise visible (you didn't add grain, did you?). So it seems the A9 is not as well suited for pushing from base ISO as the A7rii.

Oh hahah sorry if I didn't make it clear.. That was the point of the image, I didn't add noise. I was giving an example of why the metering should be better because you should avoid pushing the photo so much.

EDIT: Also I know this isn't the right thread for it, but I think I know why spot metering is being wonky, but the other metering modes I have no excuses for and I think it's something Sony will have to address.

May 29, 2017 at 05:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Holger
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony A9 Image Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Oh hahah sorry if I didn't make it clear.. That was the point of the image, I didn't add noise. I was giving an example of why the metering should be better because you should avoid pushing the photo so much.

EDIT: Also I know this isn't the right thread for it, but I think I know why spot metering is being wonky, but the other metering modes I have no excuses for and I think it's something Sony will have to address.

Thanks. I like pushing a bit in post, so this would mean I need to change my style of shooting a bit in some situations.

May 29, 2017 at 05:16 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony A9 Image Thread

3catsinky wrote:
Yowza! stunning images. the color is striking, seems MUCH richer than the RII. Would it be possible to shoot some side by sides with the A7R2, same lens, subject??

At some point I want to do that test.

May 29, 2017 at 05:31 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony A9 Image Thread

GMPhotography wrote:

Off topic, but I have no idea how you could survive without the FE 35 f/1.4 for so long...

Yeah, I know the story about you having to go through 4-5 copies to finally get one you like, but I just love that lens. Difficult to make a bad looking image with it.

On topic, the colors look real nice on the A9!

May 29, 2017 at 06:03 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Really nice to have it back. I missed it

May 29, 2017 at 07:50 AM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony A9 Image Thread

I posted 60 images from my first day of shooting with A9 here, mainly Tokyo street scenery:
https://plus.google.com/+JuhaKannisto/posts/dJsiRZN77Ro

Used Sony Zeiss Distagon FE 35/1.4 and Sony FE 100 STF GM OSS lenses with my A9, daylight shooting mostly at ISO100 and F2 or F5.6 on the Distagon and T5.6 on the STF. Edited in C1 Pro 10.1 (for Sony).

(I don't have direct image uploading available in this forum.)

May 29, 2017 at 07:57 AM
LBJ2
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony A9 Image Thread

scrappydog wrote:
@LBJ2@, how is the dynamic range of the A9? Your shot of the wood stork looks underexposed yet the whites are pretty hot. Have you pushed the files?

Not happy with any of my results from this last birding trip. Operator error. I decided to remove the images from the thread. I can do better.

May 29, 2017 at 09:25 AM
LBJ2
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony A9 Image Thread

GMPhotography wrote:

Red truck pop! As others have posted. Glad to see the FE 35 F1.4 back in your bag. If even only for a short stay

May 29, 2017 at 09:42 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony A9 Image Thread

I'm keeping this one. It's really fast on the A9 too.

May 29, 2017 at 09:44 AM
LBJ2
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony A9 Image Thread

GMPhotography wrote:
I'm keeping this one. It's really fast on the A9 too.

I've kept mine since day one. Just seems to have that something special. It's also one of my fastest focusing lenses on the A7rII. Haven't tried it on the A9 yet. But I did notice in Sony ref material it's not one of the lenses that will acheive up to 20 FPS on the A9. Either way up to 15 FPS is plenty fast.

May 29, 2017 at 10:09 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Plenty fast . I did shoot those flags yesterday I posted at medium speed. Maybe 10fps and more than enough for me. Nice to have but I don't see myself shooting that very often. Was not a priority in the buy decision.

May 29, 2017 at 10:13 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password