FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              12       13       end

Sony A9 Image Thread

GMPhotography
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony A9 Image Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
I don't actually know how ::embarrassing:: but I've posted above it was the 85GM (wide open.)

Yea comment was not really for you but new posters to the thread. And I love that shot of your wife. Great look to it

May 28, 2017 at 08:43 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Really so far I see nothing any different from our current A7rII shots. Looks clean , rich in tone and color. Have to see how our inside shots will do. But they look very nice IMHO

May 28, 2017 at 08:45 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony A9 Image Thread

What is really nice is the extremely high shutter speeds and shooting the fast glass your not overexposing. I constantly overexposed past 1/8000 so really nice it can reach 1/32000

May 28, 2017 at 08:49 PM
LBJ2
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony A9 Image Thread

A9 + 24-70 /2.8 GM. I found a reason to use the 24-70 GM more often--this lens rocks on the A9. Oh and a couple of hours in unprotected 91F + temps, A9 blazing away at 20FPS/AF-C. The only thing that over heated was me!

May 28, 2017 at 09:04 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony A9 Image Thread

GMPhotography wrote:
Really so far I see nothing any different from our current A7rII shots. Looks clean , rich in tone and color. Have to see how our inside shots will do. But they look very nice IMHO

Agree. I think the colours are a little nicer than the A7rII, but I have to ask the wife as she's the one always editing photos of herself for her own needs, so she'll have a better handle of skin tons then me.
Which is fair, because she only edits photos of herself, her skin tone is the same [she stays out of the sun], whereas I shoot different people so I'm shooting tons of different skin tones, and I don't even remember what the people look like [colour wise] after I go home for the day.

May 28, 2017 at 09:34 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony A9 Image Thread

GMPhotography wrote:
What is really nice is the extremely high shutter speeds and shooting the fast glass your not overexposing. I constantly overexposed past 1/8000 so really nice it can reach 1/32000

Yep, since I shoot wide open 80% of the time, this is a great feature and one that I have on my SL and Q but take for granted.

May 28, 2017 at 09:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony A9 Image Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Yep, since I shoot wide open 80% of the time, this is a great feature and one that I have on my SL and Q but take for granted.

The best thing is not having to turn off "EFCS" and therefore keeping OOF areas smooth since it's all electronic.

May 28, 2017 at 09:38 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Here is a great example of what not to do!

I shot my wife with the 85GM into the sun. All is fine, but I was testing the metering options to see if I could get one that would work in this kind of situation (shot shutter priority for this test). I couldn't and honestly the meter was just all over the place again, like with my testing indoors. So since it doesn't seem anyone is pushing and pulling photos around here yet, I'll post one that needed to be pushed. Normally I would just get my shit right, but seeing how it was a test to see if I could find a way to rely on the inbuilt metering I figured why not post it.

So exposure specs: A9 + 85GM + 10,000 shutter + 100 ISO + Pushed slightly less than 3 stops so 800 ISO effectively and this was the result with minor color editing:

May 28, 2017 at 09:44 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Also is it just my imagination or does the 85GM have more CA with the A9 than with the A7rII (I don't have the A7sII with me, so I can't do a direct comparison it's in SG).

May 28, 2017 at 09:45 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Fred Miranda wrote:
The best thing is not having to turn off "EFCS" and therefore keeping OOF areas smooth since it's all electronic.

Interesting, how does the EFCS have any barring on OOF areas?
I was totally unaware of this.

May 28, 2017 at 09:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TMaG82
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony A9 Image Thread

LBJ2 wrote:
A9 + 24-70 /2.8 GM. I found a reason to use the 24-70 GM more often--this lens rocks on the A9. Oh and a couple of hours in unprotected 91F + temps, A9 blazing away at 20FPS/AF-C. The only thing that over heated was me!

Very nicely done. If anything it tells us that like typical Sony there seems to be sample variation. But haters will take one negative observation and spew it like its the truth that affects the entire system as a whole and not maybe a select unit or batch.

May 28, 2017 at 09:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony A9 Image Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Interesting, how does the EFCS have any barring on OOF areas?
I was totally unaware of this.

It's a very noticeable issue with fast lenses (especially f/1.4) and high shutter speeds (> 1/1500s).
EFCS makes background rendering much harsher. Here is a few examples from my FE 50/1.4 ZA tests:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1443700/7#13668940

This also happens with all my fast lenses like 35/1.4 and 85/1.4GM. Guy also posted some samples showing differences with EFCS On and Off with his Sigma 135/1.8. Shooting all electronic at high shutters speeds is a very nice feature.

May 28, 2017 at 10:05 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony A9 Image Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Also is it just my imagination or does the 85GM have more CA with the A9 than with the A7rII (I don't have the A7sII with me, so I can't do a direct comparison it's in SG).

The amount of CA (LoCA) should remain the same because it's a lens issue.
I'd say the 85/1.4 has noticeable LoCA wide open. It goes away above f/2.5. The 50/1.4 ZA is my only Sony fast lens almost absent of CA. The 35/1.4 has more than the 85GM.

I just noticed this is an image thread! Sorry for all the talking.

May 28, 2017 at 10:12 PM
LBJ2
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony A9 Image Thread

TMaG82 wrote:
Very nicely done. If anything it tells us that like typical Sony there seems to be sample variation. But haters will take one negative observation and spew it like its the truth that affects the entire system as a whole and not maybe a select unit or batch.

Thank you!

Not sure what to think really. I went out birding several hours yesterday in the hot steamy Florida wetlands and swamps and again today on the Motocross track. Between Saturday and Sunday I really pushed the A9 for several hours in some very inhospitable conditions. While I didn't specifically look for over heating warning messages on my A9, I think I would have noticed if I got that warning message and could not use my camera. I didnt know there was an internet scandal until I checked Youtube and forums early this morning before I went out to the track.

Not that I don't believe there is an issue, all I can say is it hasn't happened to me yet

May 28, 2017 at 10:14 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's a very noticeable issue with fast lenses (especially f/1.4) and high shutter speeds (> 1/1500s).
EFCS makes background rendering much harsher. Here is a few examples from my FE 50/1.4 ZA tests:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1443700/7#13668940

This also happens with all my fast lenses like 35/1.4 and 85/1.4GM. Guy also posted some samples showing differences with EFCS On and Off with his Sigma 135/1.8. Shooting all electronic at high shutters speeds is a very nice feature.

HOLY SHEET.. I don't remember this post. OH MAN ok this is funny because I'm writing up a REALLY big review between the 50SL and the 50ZAFE. I'll unfortunately have to reshoot everything, BUT this changes things from the samples I just seen on your post.

Does the A7II have EFCS? I sold it to my friend a while back, but it's the cam I use to do tests agains the SL because they're of a similar class.. Although considering the A9 is around the same price and also 24mp I could just reshoot these tests with the A9.

May 28, 2017 at 10:35 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Fred Miranda wrote:
The amount of CA (LoCA) should remain the same because it's a lens issue.
I'd say the 85/1.4 has noticeable LoCA wide open. It goes away above f/2.5. The 50/1.4 ZA is my only Sony fast lens almost absent of CA. The 35/1.4 has more than the 85GM.

I just noticed this is an image thread! Sorry for all the talking.

OK, sorry I'll post images to make up for it. BUT actually to be honest I think its' not just a lens issue which is the common thought. I've noticed different sensors act differently towards certain lenses. The M lenses are a good example of this. The 50Noctilux comes to mind. I find that the CA is less noticeable on the SL than on the M240. I originally thought it was something that Leica was doing in camera so I used my dummy adapter and still noticeably better results. A few other lenses come to mind. The 28Cron, 50Lux.

Also the 85GM seems to have veiling flare similar to the 75APO that reduces the contrast significantly (but seems to me in my brief side by side testing yesterday, worse on the A9 than on the A7rII).

OK two more images from the A9 + 85GM combo @ 1.4 for both:

May 28, 2017 at 10:41 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony A9 Image Thread

LBJ2 wrote:
Thank you!

Not sure what to think really. I went out birding several hours yesterday in the hot steamy Florida wetlands and swamps and again today on the Motocross track. Between Saturday and Sunday I really pushed the A9 for several hours in some very inhospitable conditions. While I didn't specifically look for over heating warning messages on my A9, I think I would have noticed if I got that warning message and could not use my camera. I didnt know there was an internet scandal until I checked Youtube and forums early this morning before I went out to
...Show more

Same, I've never had an overheating warning or shut down on my a6000/6300/6500/a7rII. I've had them get hot, but I've also had an E-M1 II get hot, my GH5 get hot, etc. it's just an argument that haters and troll will continue to use without ever using the camera themselves.

May 28, 2017 at 10:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony A9 Image Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
OK, sorry I'll post images to make up for it. BUT actually to be honest I think its' not just a lens issue which is the common thought. I've noticed different sensors act differently towards certain lenses. The M lenses are a good example of this. The 50Noctilux comes to mind. I find that the CA is less noticeable on the SL than on the M240. I originally thought it was something that Leica was doing in camera so I used my dummy adapter and still noticeably better results. A few other lenses come to mind. The 28Cron, 50Lux.

Also the
...Show more

The amount of aberration is a lens property though. It could be that the in-camera processing or external post-processing software converts files differently. For example, CaptureOne's processing gives me less LoCA for my A7RII files with its default settings when compared to Lightroom.

To compensate for the extra chat, I would have to post a A9 image now but I didn't get this camera!
Post some images for me guys.

May 28, 2017 at 10:54 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony A9 Image Thread

LBJ2 wrote:
Thank you!

Not sure what to think really. I went out birding several hours yesterday in the hot steamy Florida wetlands and swamps and again today on the Motocross track. Between Saturday and Sunday I really pushed the A9 for several hours in some very inhospitable conditions. While I didn't specifically look for over heating warning messages on my A9, I think I would have noticed if I got that warning message and could not use my camera. I didnt know there was an internet scandal until I checked Youtube and forums early this morning before I went out to
...Show more

Do you have any birding examples you can share? What lens are you using for the birds?

May 28, 2017 at 10:59 PM
3catsinky
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony A9 Image Thread

Yowza! stunning images. the color is striking, seems MUCH richer than the RII. Would it be possible to shoot some side by sides with the A7R2, same lens, subject??

May 28, 2017 at 11:15 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password