New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Farmers Market

DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Farmers Market

A couple times a year, my wife and I take our cameras to the farmers market to tinker around. Our small city has an awesome market that stays true to the roots of what a farmers market should be. Usually, I'm going for all the colors available, but today I challenged myself by setting my Fuji to Acros film mode and doing only B&W. It was fun and different.

May 27, 2017 at 02:14 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Farmers Market

All good, but #'s 1, 5, and 7 are the standouts for me.

May 27, 2017 at 03:21 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Farmers Market

Another great set, how would you compare these digital images vs film images from Old Car City?

And the 16-55 vs primes?

Bob

May 27, 2017 at 04:41 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Farmers Market

Bob Jarman wrote:
Another great set, how would you compare these digital images vs film images from Old Car City?

And the 16-55 vs primes?

Bob

To my eye, B&W via digital always looks smoother and cleaner than film. That's neither good or bad... just different. Maybe it's the amount of grain that always seems to come through in the scanning of film.

I used one of the less expensive labs (The Darkroom) for the OCC stuff because I wanted quick turnaround so I could make sure the camera was working correctly. Others turn out better scans but at about $10 more per roll. That said, The Darkroom did a good job with these, and I'm satisfied.

Part of what I find fun about film is the imperfection (maybe more the photographer than the camera or film). There's no checking the back of the camera to make sure you got the right exposure. I tend to start out the day metering every shot, then I start getting lazy and guessing at quick adjustments based on meter readings from earlier in the day.

I'm going to pick up some Acros film and give it a try on my medium format cameras. Have shot TMAX more than anything else.

May 27, 2017 at 04:53 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Farmers Market

Bob Jarman wrote:
And the 16-55 vs primes?

Bob

oops... didn't answer the second question. I like the 16-55, but it doesn't quite match my Canon 24-70 or primes. It's a great walk around setup on the X-T2. I grabbed the single camera and lens this morning because i didn't want to be weighted down by anything. I do wish Lightroom handled Fuji raw files better, but these were jpgs, so no problem.

I want to try the Fuji 56mm for portraits but haven't talked myself into buying one. The Acros simulation looks great right out of the camera, and with a quick contrast & clarity adjustment to taste, they're ready to go.

May 27, 2017 at 05:06 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Farmers Market

This is an awesome set Doug! We have a twice weekly farmers market here, but other than at peak season, we have few vendors. Nice work!
Douglas

May 29, 2017 at 09:33 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.