1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · got my Sony A9 today

ai3x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · got my Sony A9 today

Mark_L wrote:
Nice. Encouraging about the flash and battery situation. Sony might just have done it this time.

The flash doesn't work with the electronic shutter does it? It's not the end of the world but given how much I use flash it's kinda annoying.

May 30, 2017 at 10:03 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · got my Sony A9 today

tntcorp wrote:
silly test... :')

I think itīs actually a very good test to judge AF speed semiquantitative.

You can compare different camera systems in different lighting situations and with different contrast levels of the subject. You, for yourself, get a ballpark where a certain system lies in comparison to another. You can even judge your manual focus skills compared to AF.

I have a clue what the focus speeds of my systems are, in ranking: Sony A9, Nikon D750, Sony A7s, Leica M
I even can say if itīs a close call or if the difference is substantial. Of course this is only true for non moving subjects.

You can even compare different lenses of the same system, I know for example that my Nikon 50/1.4 D is soo ( I forget the exact difference) much faster then my Nikon 50/1.4 G.

If you donīt like it, donīt do it. But donīt call something silly just because you donīt understand it.

heiko

Edited on May 30, 2017 at 02:37 PM · View previous versions

May 30, 2017 at 10:05 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · got my Sony A9 today

ai3x wrote:
The flash doesn't work with the electronic shutter does it? It's not the end of the world but given how much I use flash it's kinda annoying.

You are right, flash needs the mechanical shutter.

heiko

May 30, 2017 at 10:06 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · got my Sony A9 today

not sure how many of you have seen this:

http://www.agatomaszek.com/sony-a9-vs-wedding-photography/

I love them!!

May 30, 2017 at 03:30 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · got my Sony A9 today

3catsinky wrote:
not sure how many of you have seen this:

http://www.agatomaszek.com/sony-a9-vs-wedding-photography/

I love them!!

Really great summary, thanks. This is what I wanted to hear from a mirrorless camera:

"I’ve gone through all 6000 shots and the missed shots can be counted on my fingers and toes. My ceremony shots had a 100% hit rate. Over 1000 photos in a row all nailed."

"14 hour wedding, over 6000 shots? Two batteries used."

May 30, 2017 at 04:10 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · got my Sony A9 today

heikoM wrote:
I think itīs actually a very good test to judge AF speed semiquantitative.

You can compare different camera systems in different lighting situations and with different contrast levels of the subject. You, for yourself, get a ballpark where a certain system lies in comparison to another. You can even judge your manual focus skills compared to AF.

I have a clue what the focus speeds of my systems are, in ranking: Sony A9, Nikon D750, Sony A7s, Leica M
I even can say if itīs a close call or if the difference is substantial. Of course this is only true for non
...Show more

silly is b/c the test works for you. for other users who speeds between focus points may be slower or faster, they may arrive at different results and conclusions.

based from the responses, no one is complaining about the af speed of the d750. if the a9 gets you more keepers for you, that is great.

i haven't heard of complaints from customers or viewers that if only the photog. had captured 1 second earlier, the image would be a keeper instead of a ho-hum image... :')

May 30, 2017 at 04:13 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · got my Sony A9 today

tntcorp wrote:
silly is b/c the test works for you. for other users who speeds between focus points may be slower or faster, they may arrive at different results and conclusions.

Sorry, I see this differently.

The actual time does not matter. It does not matter if is 10 seconds, or 12 or whatever.

What counts is the difference between the cameras. Even if someone is quicker then me whit hiss focus-technic, he will get similar "relative" results. I will also find that the A9 focusses faster then the D750.

Instead of saying, I "feel" this camera focusses faster then the other one I can give a number that sets the whole thing into perspective.

heiko

May 30, 2017 at 04:44 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · got my Sony A9 today

tntcorp wrote:
i haven't heard of complaints from customers or viewers that if only the photog. had captured 1 second earlier, the image would be a keeper instead of a ho-hum image... :')

You donīt shoot reportage, do you? (0:

You never hear a customer say that because good photographers do not show missed shots.

heiko

May 30, 2017 at 04:46 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · got my Sony A9 today

heiko

You donīt shoot reportage, do you? (0:

You never hear a customer say that because good photographers do not show missed shots.

heiko

no and yes... i believed just like everyone else, i have a standard set of images needing to be delivered. outside of that set, i looked for candid moments for artistic images.

yes, the photog set the tone and moods of the images collection by choosing the worthwhile images to deliver. so for you, those extra seconds of frame grabs may be useful. for me, i find myself having plenty to cull from.

imho, we have fallen into the marketing hype, becoming more gears-centric, and spend for unnecessary upgrades. instead, we should set a longer upgrade cycle (for ourselves) and focus on refining our techniques.

for me, i will stay with the time-tested dslr and permits the milc time to mature before considering a switch.

May 30, 2017 at 05:49 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · got my Sony A9 today

I'd say this is definitely a valid test. Shooting candid speed of AF is really important. The thing which really put me off my A7 and A7s though was not the speed of focus but rather the hunting I got at times in tricky light. Sometimes it would just plain refuse to find focus which is incredibly frustrating.

Really interested to hear how the A9 works in this regard.

May 31, 2017 at 07:04 AM
CBokeh
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · got my Sony A9 today

Go to 19:41

Jun 06, 2017 at 10:43 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · got my Sony A9 today

CBokeh wrote:
Go to 19:41

he called it scientific test (0:

heiko

Jun 07, 2017 at 12:16 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · got my Sony A9 today

So, not to bash the video, but he is more familiar to sony and how it operates. If he knew the D5 and it focusing system as well as sony, then maybe the test would be legit. The thing is, either way you have a great system. Sony has some advantages, but nothing to put the D5 to shame. If you are comfortable with Sony awesome, If you are comfortable with Nikon, great. The thing is, as a pro, you should know the camera inside and out and how it functions. You should not have to worry about functions of the camera when shooting, for that is just adding an extra step to the equation.

When you do not have to think about how to operate the camera for it is ingrained, you can focus on composition and interacting with your subject.

-Greg

Jun 07, 2017 at 04:04 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · got my Sony A9 today

gnjphotography wrote:
So, not to bash the video, but he is more familiar to sony and how it operates. If he knew the D5 and it focusing system as well as sony, then maybe the test would be legit. The thing is, either way you have a great system. Sony has some advantages, but nothing to put the D5 to shame. If you are comfortable with Sony awesome, If you are comfortable with Nikon, great. The thing is, as a pro, you should know the camera inside and out and how it functions. You should not have to worry about functions of
...Show more

Yeah, I also assume, if he knew the Nikon better, the camera would have focussed much faster in the dark...

heiko

Jun 07, 2017 at 01:09 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.