New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

bgorum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

I'm searching for a newer, larger backpack to carry my gear. I'm currently using an F-stop Loka, with a large pro ICU, but I've kind of outgrown it. What I'm carrying is a Nikon D500, D750, 20 1.8, 24-85vr, 70-180 micro, 200-500vr, 2 Flashpoint zoom Li-on flashes, R2 transmitter, Wimberly macro bracket, and other odds and ends. The camera and lenses fit, (sort of), in the ICU and all the flash gear goes into an F-stop Harney pouch that lives on top of the ICU, accessed via the top opening of the pack. I took a quick picture with my cell phone and posted it below.
20170526_071148 by Bill Gorum, on Flickr
My 20mm lens only fits if I keep it in a pouch, (to protect from scratches), and lay it loosely on top of the 70-180 micro attached to the D750. You can also see at the top of the picture how the Harney pouch's weight is pushing down onto the ICU. It really pushes it down even more if I remove the D500 and 200-500. In the future I plan to upgrade the 20 to a 14-24 and the 24-85 to a 24-70 2.8, which will make fitting everything in even more difficult.

So I need a bigger bag. My first thought was an F-stop Sukha with my current large pro ICU and a small pro ICU on top of that. The problem is that the opening in the back of the Sukha appears to be the same size as on the Loka, (about 18 inches), and the large ICU pretty much occupies that entire opening. This means I would not have access to equipment in the small ICU from the back panel, but would have to access it through the top, (what f-stop calls hatch backing). I thought also that perhaps I could put the small ICU on the bottom of the pack, and the large ICU on top, with the last few inches hidden behind the pack material. I would then keep my longest lenses at the top of the large ICU and just slip the front of the lenses back underneath the part of the pack that is not open. Not sure how well that would work.

I also did a search on this forum and found the Mammut Trion Pro 50 and Gregory Targhee 45 backpacks that have a similar access design to f-stop, but the openings don't look any bigger than f-stop's and both those packs are smaller than the Sukha, perhaps too small for what I want to carry.

So I guess I'm looking for advice from anyone with experience carrying the amount of gear I'm trying to carry in a comfortable backpack. Incidentally, I often hike all day with the Loka and find it fairly comfortable to do so. Certainly more so than any of the Lowepro and Tamrac backpacks I've owned before.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and sorry this is so long winded!

May 26, 2017 at 08:40 AM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

How about using an XL Pro ICU with a Sukha?

May 26, 2017 at 10:57 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

I use an XL ICU in the Ajna and can still get to stuff hidden under the top part. Ajna is the smallest that fits the XL ICU. Since you already own the Large ICU then putting the small on the bottom would give you a less expensive solution in whatever larger bag you choose. With the Ajna there is only about an inch or so space above the ICU when you open the top flap.

May 26, 2017 at 09:23 PM
bgorum
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

JameeIH, I guess the reasons why I wanted to do the small pro + large pro combo is because I already own the large pro. That means it would be cheaper and I would have the flexibility of 2 backpacks and two different size ICUs depending on what gear and how much weight I was planning to need/want that particular day. Also I would have more total room for equipment with the large/small combo than with the extra large. I think the extra large would probably hold everything I have now, but wouldn't leave much room for future growth.

arbitrage, I think the Anja is the replacement for my Loka, correct? I tried pulling my large ICU up into the Loka while leaving 8 inches between the bottom of the ICU and the bottom of the backpack to simulate the space taken up by a small ICU. I could still slip the D500 w/ 200-500 and the D750 w/ 70-180 micro in by sliding the front of the lenses under the aluminum frame at the top of the back opening. However, it was not convenient, especially with the 200-500. The reversed lens hood wants to catch on the frame when I'm pulling the lens out. That would probably be less of a problem with the extra large ICU alone since it would not extend as far behind the frame/opening.

There's another problem now though. True to F-stops form, the Sukha is out of stock, unless you want it in that orange color that will make you stand out in the landscape from 3 miles away. I'm off to REI as soon as they open this morning to see if they have a Mammut Trion Pro 50+ in stock. If they do, I'll report back on how it seems to be relative to F-stop.

May 28, 2017 at 11:05 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

bgorum wrote:
JameeIH, I guess the reasons why I wanted to do the small pro + large pro combo is because I already own the large pro. That means it would be cheaper and I would have the flexibility of 2 backpacks and two different size ICUs depending on what gear and how much weight I was planning to need/want that particular day. Also I would have more total room for equipment with the large/small combo than with the extra large. I think the extra large would probably hold everything I have now, but wouldn't leave much room for future growth.

arbitrage, I
...Show more

The Ajna is pretty much the replacement for the Loka but it is bigger. Ajna is listed at 40L and Loka UL at 37L but they are probably very similar.
Let us know how the Mammut works.

May 29, 2017 at 08:30 PM
bgorum
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

REI didn't have the Mammut in store, but the salesperson there suggested I buy it from REI online and then if it didn't meet my needs I could return it in store. The pack arrived today, and unfortunately I think I need to return it. Despite the 50 +7 being rated at 50 liters it really doesn't provide any more room for camera gear than my 37 liter Loka. The large pro ICU fits, and I'm sure an extra large would also, but not much else. Part of the problem is that the Mammut pack narrows towards the bottom, so that the ICU does not sit flat against the bottom of the pack like it does in an f-stop bag. I really want to like this pack too! The waist belt seems much better and I've no doubt it would probably carry better than an f-stop bag, but its simply too small. However, for any one looking for a pack about the size of a Loka or an Anja this Mammut bag could be a very good alternative!

Jun 01, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

I have the Mammut Trion Pro 50+7 and it is a FANTASTIC bag! Using it to backpack with, as i won't have more than 30lbs. I have a few buddies that have both the Cliq Elite and F-stops, and they were impressed with the bag.

My only camera gear right now is the 14-24, A7r, Minolta 35-70mm and Nikkor E series 70-210. Going to swap out the 14-24 and Minolta with something else.

Jun 01, 2017 at 11:38 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

@Dustin Gent

I am using the same bag since a couple of weeks back, I was very surprised when I read you had the same (in the thread about backpack weight), especially since you live in the US, not sure how large Mammut is there.

A question though, how to you keep your gear in the bag? First I thought about putting some panels in to make it look and behave more like a photo bag using velcro. But that not only limits some of its use but also potentially destroys the fabrics.
Do you put your gear inside another bag? If so, which? I've used the insert of my Wotancraft scout but it's a tight fit.

Jun 05, 2017 at 01:22 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

My wife and I have a pair of F-Stop Tilopa Bags... she has the Large Pro ICU and I have the XL Pro ICU. The XLPro fits, but you have to pack it with long lens going towards the top bc the opening is not long enough to allow complete access to the entire ICU. My bag is currently holding a 200-400VR attached to a D500, a 70-200 f/2.8 attached to a D500, a D810, a 16-35VR and a 105mm f/4 Micro-Nikkor AiS. I have a full Lee filter kit, flash and misc other stuff squeezed in the top pockets.

In the Large Pro ICU, my wife carries a D500 attached to a 200-500VR, a detached D610, 24-120mm f/4, 18mm f3.5 Zeiss macro, 50mm f/1.8G and a flash. Her bag has room for a small icu, raincoat and misc junk. I like the tilopa as it is just big enough to carry my gear but small enough for air travel.
cheers,
bruce

Jun 05, 2017 at 05:14 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

i have small North Face canisters i use (i only have a few lenses, so don't need much) TNF.

however i returned my Mammut as it had a defect on the hip belt Ended up going with an Arcteryx Bora 63 (Needed a little more capacity for week long trips)

Jun 05, 2017 at 07:06 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

Look at the A-mode IN200. Can be bought from HK for under 35. The thing is cavernous, a few inches taller than a F-stop large.

For a more practical size the IN03 will do. About the same price.

That Trion looks pretty good. Possibly better than the Targhee I am so enamored with. Particularly the external straps seem to be very flexible and robust. If I have one complaint about the Targhee that would be it.

Does the Trion 50 have any hope of ever going on an airplane as carry-on?

Jun 25, 2017 at 01:07 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Larger F-stop backpack or alternative

i got my Gregory Baltoro 75 as a carry on flying from PDX to SF with no issues. It fit into the carry on dimension box that they use at checkin. It fit in the overhead bin as well. The Trion is much smaller that the Baltoro

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:11 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.