Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Should I re-use CF card that failed?

sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Should I re-use CF card that failed?

I would see if its under warranty, but I wouldn't use it again.

May 29, 2017 at 07:17 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Should I re-use CF card that failed?

sjms wrote:
actually that's not strange. unless you actually filled the card up completely you will find fragments of some real old stuff. that is the nature of how the camera and card work.
when you "format" your card all you do in reality is wipe the FAT (file allocation table) only. you actually never touch your data. wiping the FAT allows overwriting of the card. the computer (camera) will try to write to empty memory areas before used and then it will start overwriting everything as it sees fit. empty is less energy/time consumptive to do and so on.

i'd personally see if
...Show more

Some camera's have the ability to do a low level format. That should zero out all bits.

Ccleaner will let you zero out all bits .... for free. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

After installing and running, click Tools, then Drive Wiper.

Jun 07, 2017 at 06:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Should I re-use CF card that failed?

if that were only totally true.

Jun 08, 2017 at 07:27 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Should I re-use CF card that failed?

arnold1 wrote:
+1....not worth the risk.

Agree 100%. Had this happen 2 a SanDisk and Lexar CF cards. Although were both out of warranty at B&H and companies, I called the companies and they replaced them free of charge. Sent them B&H invoice and were here within 7 days.
Dan

Jun 08, 2017 at 07:56 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Should I re-use CF card that failed?

sjms wrote:
if that were only totally true.

I'm not a mind reader, can you elaborate enough that I can understand what you don't believe to be true? Please, so I can respond, if it was directed at me.

Jun 08, 2017 at 12:09 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Should I re-use CF card that failed?

Access wrote:
Retire it. Remember that the high-density flash memory used (MLC/multi-level cell) in those cards is already prone to failure, so they are built with a certain allowance for cells to go bad and a translation layer that allows bad cells to be mapped out while maintaining the structure of the memory in contiguous blocks. So once you start to see actual detectable failures with the card, that means more will likely follow; it should be retired immediately.

https://flashdba.com/2014/09/17/understanding-flash-the-flash-translation-layer/

It is generally specfic to manufacturer, but some will offer tools to check the relative health of their flash memory cards. Note that you
...Show more

If a low level format is done the computer will map out bad sectors. That is an important first step with a new memory card.

SDFormater is a free application designed to do the initial formatting of SD cards but for a CF the computer's OS can be trusted.

Jun 08, 2017 at 10:40 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Should I re-use CF card that failed?

Isn't this a wee bit like asking if you should reuse a parachute that failed?

Jun 09, 2017 at 05:29 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.