New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Equipment Insurance

Bobg657
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Equipment Insurance

I want to get coverage for my gear other than a rider on my homeowners policy. Does anyone have experience with NANPA's costs and service? Any other sources?

Thanks,
Bob

May 25, 2017 at 10:53 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Equipment Insurance

Check out these:
Taylor & Taylor
Tom Pickard (TCP)
Hill & Usher
Hayes

May 25, 2017 at 10:59 PM
wsheldon
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Equipment Insurance

I have a Rand policy through NANPA, and it runs about 2.45% of the equipment you insure per year (minimum $350 per policy), which is pretty close to most HO riders. Plus you have to factor in the $100/yr NANPA membership if you haven't already.

I haven't had to make a claim yet (knock on wood), but they have a stellar reputation for paying even large claims quickly. It's an all-hazard, international policy with a $250 deductible per claim, which is better than most other photo policies, which often don't cover things like dropping a camera in a lake. It is a scheduled policy so you have to register individual equipment and specify the insured amount, but that gives you control over what to include. You can also add blanket coverage for unscheduled accessories (max $500/item) and include rented equipment coverage. You can send updates throughout the year as you buy/sell stuff, but they don't charge you (or credit you) during the policy year. You are just charged based on the schedule on file a month or so prior to renewal.

Hopefully others with actual claim experience will chime in, but I'm sticking with them so far because I already support NANPA and don't like the terms in the other dedicated photo policies I've seen as to accidental damage, which is probably more likely than theft/fire with the trips I take.

May 25, 2017 at 11:04 PM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Equipment Insurance

Thanks to both of you for the response, I have some work to do.

May 26, 2017 at 12:52 AM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Equipment Insurance

It looks like I will go with NANPA, the other policies were much more limited to US and Canada and I travel internationally.

Thanks again,
Bob

May 26, 2017 at 03:21 AM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Equipment Insurance

Just FYI, the policy offered by Taylor & Taylor includes worldwide coverage.

Also, make sure any policy offers full replacement value.

May 26, 2017 at 04:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Equipment Insurance

Thanks!

May 26, 2017 at 04:08 PM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Equipment Insurance

TCP for many years now. No complaints!

E

Jun 03, 2017 at 07:47 PM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Equipment Insurance

I use Hill & Usher, and it is an option on my business policy or Inland Marine policy (I can't remember which one).

Jun 05, 2017 at 06:03 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Equipment Insurance

wsheldon wrote:
I have a Rand policy through NANPA, and it runs about 2.45% of the equipment you insure per year (minimum $350 per policy), which is pretty close to most HO riders. Plus you have to factor in the $100/yr NANPA membership if you haven't already.

I haven't had to make a claim yet (knock on wood), but they have a stellar reputation for paying even large claims quickly. It's an all-hazard, international policy with a $250 deductible per claim, which is better than most other photo policies, which often don't cover things like dropping a camera in a lake. It
...Show moreMy homeowners rider policy is about 1% of stated value. If I want replacement with new gear, then I need to increase the stated value, but I have taken values that are high quality used gear using FM buy and sell as reference. My policy covers me world wide with $0 deductible.

Why dont you want a rider policy? That is all I have ever had and made one claim years ago for the gazelle that took my 100-400 lens for a run! I will save the gazelle story for another day.

Aug 22, 2017 at 01:08 AM
wsheldon
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Equipment Insurance

Why dont you want a rider policy? That is all I have ever had and made one claim years ago for the gazelle that took my 100-400 lens for a run! I will save the gazelle story for another day.

Because I've heard numerous horror stories about people having their home owners insurance cancelled or rates increased for years following a camera claim. Insurance is becoming a "use it and lose it" proposition these days, unfortunately. That and I prefer to have my gear insurance associated with my small photography business rather than my family's HO policy for tax purposes. Individual circumstances differ, of course, so it's all about your tolerance for risk and the specifics of the insurance.

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password