New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · The Lookouts

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Lookouts

Time to get back to Africa editing. For some reason I'm not really in the mood to drop a set, so here's a single that I just processed.

Two giraffe stand lookout for the rest of the journey while the others browse the various greenery.

C&C please!

Jeff

The Lookouts

May 25, 2017 at 03:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Lookouts

The angle is perfect. The near ones head is pointed at the far one. The far one's neck and head are pointing at the near one. having most of the near and much of the far one backgrounds by bald sky also works well here. I see the mite picker is also at work. B&W is a good choice here.

May 25, 2017 at 05:37 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Lookouts

ben egbert wrote:
The angle is perfect. The near ones head is pointed at the far one. The far one's neck and head are pointing at the near one. having most of the near and much of the far one backgrounds by bald sky also works well here. I see the mite picker is also at work. B&W is a good choice here.

Thanks for the feedback, Ben! The oxpeckers are all over the area and it's crazy and sheer amount of ticks that they eat in a given day. They can also be nuisances, though, as they tend to like to also pick at wounds that the animals might have.

I'm glad that you like the black and white! Maybe you're turning a corner on mono stuff.

Jeff

May 25, 2017 at 08:38 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Lookouts

As Ben noted, beautiful, dynamic angles for sure. Maybe a little more contrast?

Steve

May 25, 2017 at 09:34 PM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Lookouts

Great pic Jeff! So...It was California June Gloom (sky) for your whole trip?

May 25, 2017 at 10:16 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Lookouts

I agree, the positioning is great and I love that you have plenty of DOF to get both giraffes sharp. It feels like you were close to the first one, but I see the EXIF shows you were at some (safe) distance. Don't want to get a kick out of giraffes!
The contrast: I had the same initial reaction as Steve. But I think your choice provides a more timeless look. I would think about choice of contrast in larger terms of how this might fit in with a series, or a self-published book.
Scott

May 26, 2017 at 07:21 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Lookouts

eeneryma wrote:
As Ben noted, beautiful, dynamic angles for sure. Maybe a little more contrast?

Steve

Thanks Steve! I will see how some contrast play turns out. Part of me doesn't want this too punchy so I may toe the line on that. I dig the "classic" safari look that I always image when I think Africa.

---------------------------------------------

Kevin T wrote:
Great pic Jeff! So...It was California June Gloom (sky) for your whole trip?

Thanks Kev!! Nope, not the whole trip - but a couple days in particular in Kruger were terribly overcast. At least I've got some cloud detail going on and not just TOTAL white! I'm so envious of folks who live nearby to a place like this. Similar to the wonderful landscapers out west, they can cherrypick the best scenarios and really make some magic happen. As a tourist I just hope that the stars align.

---------------------------------------------

sbeme wrote:
I agree, the positioning is great and I love that you have plenty of DOF to get both giraffes sharp. It feels like you were close to the first one, but I see the EXIF shows you were at some (safe) distance. Don't want to get a kick out of giraffes!
The contrast: I had the same initial reaction as Steve. But I think your choice provides a more timeless look. I would think about choice of contrast in larger terms of how this might fit in with a series, or a self-published book.
Scott

Thanks for the feedback and comments, Scott! Man, those giraffes kick HARD! I've seen some videos of them defending themselves against lions and they can easily crush a skull with one swift kick. These two were a bit off the road but we had some wonderfully closer (and calm!) encounters with these wonderful, alien creatures.

I really think that everyone needs to see a giraffes gait as they cross the African landscape. It's something that cannot be captured by photos or videos.

I will keep the contrast in mind going forward!! I know that at some point the wife and I are going to take these pictures and try make a nice coffee table book for the house. There is something to be said about a physical image that digital presentation just cannot match.

Jeff

May 26, 2017 at 08:58 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.