New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

TSA combination locks

runakid
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · TSA combination locks

Which combination locks do you suggest for travel to South Africa?

May 25, 2017 at 06:19 PM
bflood
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · TSA combination locks

I have no specific brand to recommend, but a type. Newer models have an indicator that shows whether the lock was opened. It's a red pop-up that the person with the TSA key cannot disable - the TSA key cannot be removed from the lock if the red indicator is pressed back into the lock. This way you will know if your bag was opened. If, at baggage claim, you find the bag has been opened, you can check immediately for missing items, and if there are any, an immediate reporting of the incident has a high probability of identifying the guilty parties.

May 26, 2017 at 04:47 AM
runakid
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · TSA combination locks

I saw that and it seemed like a good addition to the locks. Thanks.

May 26, 2017 at 08:30 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · TSA combination locks

I have had every TSA approved lock that I have used cut off the case and put on top of my gear along with a note from the TSA. More than 400 TSA employees have been fired after they were caught stealing items from luggage. I don't put anything in checked luggage that I will need at my destination.

May 26, 2017 at 08:37 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · TSA combination locks

I quit buying TSA locks after my third one was removed. But they did not leave a note or the locks. I agree, it would be stupid to check in gear, mainly because of the theft risk.

May 26, 2017 at 08:50 PM
runakid
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · TSA combination locks

I am going to South Africa in August and all my camera gear will be with me but I do need my clothing that will be in my checked bag. Thanks for all your suggestions. They were and are helpful to a new foreign traveler.

May 27, 2017 at 03:19 AM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · TSA combination locks

elkhornsun wrote:
I have had every TSA approved lock that I have used cut off the case and put on top of my gear along with a note from the TSA. More than 400 TSA employees have been fired after they were caught stealing items from luggage. I don't put anything in checked luggage that I will need at my destination.

---------------------------------------------

EGrav wrote:
I quit buying TSA locks after my third one was removed. But they did not leave a note or the locks. I agree, it would be stupid to check in gear, mainly because of the theft risk.

---------------------------------------------

runakid wrote:
I am going to South Africa in August and all my camera gear will be with me but I do need my clothing that will be in my checked bag. Thanks for all your suggestions. They were and are helpful to a new foreign traveler.

------------------------------------------

Bummer: New regulations may require you to put any electronics bigger than a cellphone in your checked luggage. This may depend on your flight route. Be sure to get equipment insurance and make back-ups of your image files onto something small that you can carry on your person. But insurance won't prevent a wasted photo-trip if you arrive without your gear.... If the new regs go into effect, airlines need to provide a new, special, high-security, option for checking-in valuable gear.

Jun 06, 2017 at 06:44 PM
Johnwocher

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · TSA combination locks

Is the TSA screening requiring removing and putting cameras in a special bin, like laptops, in effect? I am flying into Denver from Tokyo, no problem at departure. Wonder if it is a requirement departing Denver and if I should allow more time.
Thanks,
John

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · TSA combination locks

I have twice arrived at my destination and found the TSA locks had been cut off and placed inside in a plastic bag along with a note from the TSA stating the obvious. Now I follow the practice of not putting anything in my checked luggage that I value or will need at my destination.

More than 400 TSA employees have been fired for theft so TSA locks are good for piece of mind but provide no real protection.

One can take on board both a bag up to 22 x 14 x 8 inches in size for the overhead bin and also what is classified as a personal piece of luggage (or a kennel for a dog or cat) that is no larger than 8.5" x 17" x 12". In addition a small shopping type bag for reading material can be carried on board. I hand carry my tripod legs (ball head in my carry on 32 liter backpack) that is less than 22" in length when collapsed and fits inside the overhead bin cross ways. I wear a waterproof jacket when boarding and stuff it into the space where the tripod lays.

All that is inside my checked luggage is an extra battery charger, extra pair of shoes, clothing, and toiletries. If anything happens to the checked luggage my trip is not going to be severely impacted. I can if need be buy clothes and shoes and toiletries at my destination.

Sep 12, 2017 at 06:52 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · TSA combination locks

elkhornsun wrote:
I have twice arrived at my destination and found the TSA locks had been cut off and placed inside in a plastic bag along with a note from the TSA stating the obvious. Now I follow the practice of not putting anything in my checked luggage that I value or will need at my destination.

More than 400 TSA employees have been fired for theft so TSA locks are good for piece of mind but provide no real protection.

One can take on board both a bag up to 22 x 14 x 8 inches in size for the overhead
...Show more

+1. My #1 goal is to get everything of value in my carry on if at all possible. I do sometimes check my tripod legs though with the ballhead in my carry on.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:13 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · TSA combination locks

You've never had an issue carrying on your tripod? I once packed my full size RRS tripod in my checked baggage and tried to take my travel size gitzo as a carry-on, but wasn't allowed to take the gitzo, because it was perceived to be a potential weapon. I ended up having to go back out and giving my gitzo to my wife to take home.
elkhornsun wrote:

One can take on board both a bag up to 22 x 14 x 8 inches in size for the overhead
...Show more

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:38 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · TSA combination locks

elkhornsun wrote:

...Show more

Regulations depend on airlines and departure / destinations. I know of some airlines that limit you to 7 kg carryon...and they do weigh it. As far as carrying tripods on board...again it depends on the airline / airport. I went through Taipei and security was very strick in limiting the size of your tripod to less than 18" in total length. There was a glass case just before security displaying all the valuables ( including tripods ) that were confiscated because they were too big.

Best to check with all your different airlines on your itinerary rather than assuming the North American carryon limits are standard.

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:58 PM
runakid
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · TSA combination locks

Just back from my trip to RSA. They never open my stuff. Never had to take my cameras out of my bag when going thru x ray either. The flight sucked but TSA was fine. Now in April to Costa Rica we will see.

Sep 28, 2017 at 08:49 AM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · TSA combination locks

Never had any TSA locks cut off. (that will probably change on the morning's flight.)

I have had the TSA card inside my bag, at the end of a flight. they used the master key to open.

The only items that go into checked baggage are clothes and a toiletries bag. everything else photography-related is in carry-on. I've stood at the check-in desk and pulled items out of my carry-on and put them into pockets, to make the "weight limit." All the while, I'm thinking "the frakkin gross takeoff weight of a 747 is half a million pounds, and my 100-400 is going to make a difference?"

Sep 30, 2017 at 02:56 AM
runakid
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · TSA combination locks

Thanks to all. I made the trip and the locks were never opened.

Sep 30, 2017 at 03:04 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password