Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

Mucho Betis
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

Mine definitively not! 😔

In fact I just traded it for a mint 1DX and can not be happier.

I had it for a few months only and decided to get rid of the cam after testing it at low light conditions during the Easter of Seville.

Really poor performance from 1000 ISO on. (Noise, artifacts, colors,... a complete disaster). My 6D produced (by far) much better output at SAME conditions.

Very dissapointed.

Have you had similar issues in low light or I just had a bad copy?

RGDS!!

May 24, 2017 at 08:55 AM
jaybird555
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

Very interesting...I have the 5D3 and I'm happy with it, but I was thinking about more MP and better res.Thanks for the feedback.

May 24, 2017 at 09:03 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

You're going to have to post some example images, if you expect anybody to provide useful answers to your questions.

May 24, 2017 at 09:04 AM
Mucho Betis
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

Just sharing my experience and willing to know if someone else had same issues or poor results. Anyway I will post some example pics.

May 24, 2017 at 09:10 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

This strikes me as totally bizarre: something is wrong with your camera, your photography, or the settings you have on your camera.

May 24, 2017 at 09:19 AM
Arai

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

Robin Smith wrote:
This strikes me as totally bizarre: something is wrong with your camera, your photography, or the settings you have on your camera.

Yes, this makes me curious..Canon wouldn't release such a worst product than its predecessor.

May 24, 2017 at 09:27 AM
Holger
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

Mucho Betis wrote:
Mine definitively not! 😔

I had it for a few months only and decided to get rid of the cam after testing it at low light conditions during the Easter of Seville.

Really poor performance from 1000 ISO on. (Noise, artifacts, colors,... a complete disaster). My 6D produced (by far) much better output at SAME conditions.

Very dissapointed.

RGDS!!

Either you are just trolling, or your camera is defect. We use two alongside the A7rii for weddings and have no issues at high ISOs. And we know numerous other wedding photographers having bought the 5div, too.

May 24, 2017 at 09:49 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

My 1DX is relegated to the back of the closet. The 5D IV is better for my needs. High ISO is quite good so I'm questioning your PP techniques.

EBH

May 24, 2017 at 09:51 AM
Arai

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

Holger wrote:
Either you are just trolling, or your camera is defect. We use two alongside the A7rii for weddings and have no issues at high ISOs. And we know numerous other wedding photographers having bought the 5div, too.

Maybe he had point, I'll wait he post the images he was talking about.

May 24, 2017 at 10:11 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

I've been very impressed with higher ISO that seems to hold its own against my 1DX2 even with 10MPs more. For sure once down sampled to 20MP it is just as good. I still think the original 1DX has a slight edge in high ISO over both but it is minimal and hardly significant. And again sampling 5D4 down to 18MP will likely favour the 5D.

I've been shooting the 5D4 at 1600 and 3200 and sometimes higher without issue.

My only slight disappointment is its performance at f/8 AF compared to 1DX2 but that was to be expected. At least it has all the points working it just hunts more often than the 1DX2.

May 24, 2017 at 10:19 AM
tiggy
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

If you are comparing the 1dx Mark I to the 5D4, you'll need to take the same image in both cameras and downsample the 5D4 image so that it has the same resolution over the same field of view. If, instead, you are taking 100 percent crops of both images and comparing those, then what you're really looking at is apples and oranges.

That's the only think I can think of that would cause you to perceive the 1dx to be better generally. It is true that the 1dx is fantastic at high isos, but you should see them performing similarly, with the 5d4 beating it in IQ in about every other set of circumstances.

May 24, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

Mucho Betis wrote:
Mine definitively not! 😔

Very dissapointed.

RGDS!!

Sounds like either you have a bad copy or some crazy-wild shooting /PP skills.

the 5DmkIV is my go to camera on weddings. Easily hangs with a 1DX except for fps.

5DmkIV is a sweet camera. Selling a 5Ds to help fund another 5DIV.

-Mark

May 24, 2017 at 10:58 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

.. My 5DIV has yet to produce a single decent image .. Not even an image that can be fixed in post processing ..

Disclaimer: I do not presently own .. have never owned and have no intention to own a 5DIV any time soon ..

That said .. a properly working camera should render an image quality equal to it's peers ..

Jefferson

May 24, 2017 at 01:38 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

Robin Smith wrote:

---------------------------------------------

Holger wrote:

+1

May 24, 2017 at 01:52 PM
photoin.nyc
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

I think he's just kidding

May 24, 2017 at 02:54 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

I agree, he's jerkin' yo chains to see if anybody stirs...

May 24, 2017 at 02:58 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

What a load of BS, the differences in colours between different Canon cameras are mostly small, but some RAW converters do a better job than others. Owning the 1DX and 5D4 there is hardly any difference in the look and feel.

I think someone left the door open at the asylum.

May 24, 2017 at 05:32 PM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

Calm please. We should give him the benefit of the doubt, he has been a FM member for 12 years? That has to count for at least an opening statement.

I will say I don't have these issues with my 5D IV at all. I'm just still struggling from being in a 1D world for the last 10 years.

May 24, 2017 at 05:48 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

I've only had my 5d4 for a few weeks. I'm astonished by how clean the images are in poor light and high ISO.

Two examples: almost-sundown BIF (520mm, f/13, 1/1250s, ISO 6400),
almost-sundown, heavily-clouded foliage in the 'shade', 400mm, f/5.6, 1/800s, ISO 2000.

MUCH cleaner than my 5d3, viewing in LR at 100%. I'm also needing less NR due to the smoother noise character.

May 24, 2017 at 06:55 PM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is your 5D4 fulfilling your expectations??

I too have been exceptionally disappointed by the Canon 5D Mark IV for the following reasons:

1) The LCD is quite bad. It is a major step back from the 5D3 in my opinion - it just is too contrasty and overcooked, making accurate capture really challenging (you don't know what you're going to get)

2) Really disappointed by low light one shot AF. AI Servo is miles above the 5D3, but one shot is horrible in low light.

3) The colours are really screwed up out of the camera. The 5D3 is far better in my opinion. However over time I realise that it's not the 5D4's fault per se, but Adobe have done something insane to their profiles within LR to the extent that 5D4 files when applied with presets and edit mechanisms from the 5D3 just don't work

4) DPP 3.x no longer works with the 5D4, therefore culling times have taken a major step backwards. Whilst DPP 3.x itself was totally useless, it's one great feature was that it loaded previews into RAM or something and it was blistering fast to cull. DPP 4.x, Photomechanic, LR, Bridge, all of them are horribly slow - I don't know how everyone tolerates the speed of those programs. DPP 3.x was literally instant - faster than your hand can click.

5) There is something not quite right about high ISO noise. Just no advantage over the 5d3 that I can see.

All in all I find it's a massive waste of money, however its one redeeming feature is that the AI Servo, even in low light, is incredible. It means so many keepers for Bride walking down the aisle shots etc. oh and also the built in intervalometer.

My usage pattern:
- 20,000 exposures a weekend at weddings

May 24, 2017 at 07:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.