New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Big Sur - Massive slide and road closure

Craig Gillette
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Big Sur - Massive slide and road closure

A deep seated slide has collapsed over Highway 1 at Mud Creek, approximately 9 miles north of the Monterey/San Luis Obispo County line. This is in the area south of the existing closure from the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge failure. It's possible to get in over the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road but it's unknown when through traffic will be possible. The bridge replacement was expected to be complete in September. The new "slide" which consists of 4 slides which consolidated into a single huge slide covers about 1/4 - 1/3 mile of road 35-40 feet deep. Searches will bring up images, videos, etc.

May 24, 2017 at 05:34 AM
dalite
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Big Sur - Massive slide and road closure

It's a massive slide. I don't see a fix for a long time; I mean a year or more.

May 31, 2017 at 05:43 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Big Sur - Massive slide and road closure

Yeah. Not following any discussions they may be having on dealing with it. I think there are some regulations on what kind stuff can be dumped in the ocean so not sure they can follow up by just bulldozing it over the edge, etc. Although it was a natural process that brought it down and landslides like that are common in coastal areas over time. IIRC the beach at McWay Fall developed after road work up the coast some caused changes in the flow of sand, etc., along the coast.

It's a heck of a place for a road. I don't recall any trips since old enough to see it, that there weren't stretches under repair or evidence of slumping, barriers in some of the canyons, etc. We had friends with a business in Cambria and these closures are hell on the local economy even without impacting southern access to San Simeon, the big draw in the south end.

May 31, 2017 at 03:35 PM
dalite
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Big Sur - Massive slide and road closure

In May of 2016 I drove from Cambria north via Hwy 1. Today, it would have to be a detour north or south via Atascadero. But people wanting to drive south can still go as far as Big Sur. Many portions of Hwy1from Mendocino to SoCal are subject to landslides when they are running so close to steep cliffs, to say nothing of unstable mountain sides.

May 31, 2017 at 10:31 PM
Wilbur Su

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Big Sur - Massive slide and road closure

Big Surís brave new routes cross epic landslide:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/13/big-surs-brave-new-routes-cross-epic-landslide/

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:20 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password