Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       end

Archive 2017 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

bobbytan wrote:
I am surprised that anyone new to Olympus would buy their discontinued FT lenses instead of the native m43 lenses

I moved straight into digital, from Olympus OM, with the Olympus EP-2. Its various limitations, but mainly having to chose between viewfinder and flash, led me to replace it with the EM-1.

I do mostly macro and used a Tamron SP 90mm 2.5, followed by a Leica Elmarit 60mm macro, in turn replaced by a Kiron 105mm, each time improving the resolution of fine detail. That has now, after learning of its reputation, been replaced by an Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro. For the first time, I had full aperture framing and focus. It gives great performance with matched x2TC and/or Raynox MSN-202, the three together giving the smallest FOV 5mm wide. My default ISO (TTL flash) is 400.

Harold

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:15 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Jumped into the micro 4/3 train last week
- likely will complete the pro trifecta, and might get the 12-42 for backpacking trips.
not sure if I will get the EF or M adapter; the last makes more sense as the M lenses are smaller and allow to control aperture.
- not leaving current systems; still deciding if I want to outfit my Pen F with one short or 3 large lenses
- why? it's a light weight, very quick responsive system, that allows me to be snap-happy or dedicated/involved at times.

Dec 19, 2017 at 03:00 PM
pmeheut
• • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

I always have been using a system to complement my main one, i.e. the Leica M.
It used to be film SLR (Canon, Leica) then DSLRs (various brand over the years).

I've never been really happy with DSLR as the compact ones had either small viewfinder and not that great AF, sometimes strange colors. The high-end were better but to big and heavy for me (I have a 5DIII I'm gonna sell).

The journey ended up with a Sony A7 which was compact. But the lenses were not and sometimes disappointing to say the least. I tend to use zooms because if I want primes, I have the M.

Ask about advice on another forum and ended trying a PEN-F. So far, I'm very happy with it and I complemented it with an OM EM-1 II and several lenses.
It could even by my only system as it is very efficient for street pictures, candid portraits... But the M is still something special so I'll keep it

Dec 20, 2017 at 04:10 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

I guess I went to m4/3 mostly for video. Somehow I got it in my head that the iq for stills was bad, and the camera sat there for 2-3 years, mostly, I don't do a lot of video.

Then I felt like I should use it for an event, and it worked out really well. The Silkypix software had a highlight controller that saved the day.

The shutter on the GH1 is really well damped or something, I was able to use a lower ss than expected. And I doubt it took me long to figure out that focusing an 85/1.4 Rokinon is easier on the EVF!!!

I use the m4/3 body with alts exclusively. I really like the articulating screen on the GH1, although I suppose I could get that with Canon. I still shoot both, and tend to shoot the m4/3 slower, with my favorite old alts, and the Canon faster, with af. They are a different experience, and I plan to keep both.

The files might not be as malleable, and high iso might not be as good, say over 800, but low iso (800 or less) in most conditions is maybe better, it seems. I haven't done big printing yet, but I don't see any reason to think I can't, or feel limited by iq, compared to Canon aps.

And high iso is probably substantially improved on some/all newer bodies.

Dec 28, 2017 at 12:42 PM
jestork

p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Travel is reason 1, 2 and 3. Can fit entire pro system in overhead of regional jet. 2 bodies, 3-4 lenses, including if desired equivalent of 600mm (Olympus Pro 300f4), strobes etc. Used correctly, image quality great - multiple award winning prints done with Olympus....

But..... I can't say it totally replaced my prior system- it's really more of an addition to my full frame Nikons, used when the size is an advantage. OMD EM1 II getting much closer, but in some situations still can't do what a Nikon D5 does... So I now use both systems, pretty much equally.

Dec 29, 2017 at 09:17 AM
fotochuk

p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Bought my Wife a Olympus EM10ii and went on a trip with her. I packed the lightest I could go with my Canon Gear and was so jealous of the weight/IQ ratio she had.

Then bought a used EM1 mk1 with 2 primes really cheap. Played around with it a while and did some comparisons to my Canon gear. It was darn close plus it had some perks like macro focus stacking. I also can use DXO prime which really helps compensating when working with high ISO.

Then Borrowed EM1mk2 and GH5 with Pan 35-100 f2.8 and Oly 40-150 f2.8 for a couple weekends to thoroughly test in portrait and poorly lit hockey rinks. All the lenses were great and the CAF on the GH5 was as good as my Canon setup with 70-200L mkii and 80d. Was getting 9/10 keepers at ice level of AAA Jr. game (about as fast a subject I ever have). The EM1mkii was only getting 5/10 keepers. (but they released a firmware upgrade since with reported improvements to CAF).

Then I did 2 long client sessions with my Canon gear and the back pain that followed pushed me over the edge. I pre-ordered a Panasonic G9 have almost sold my canon gear and acquired the M43 lenses I want to start with.

It also helped that godox release TTL flashes and triggers for M43 so I can use my studio lights.

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:31 PM
shmn
• • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

First foray into m43 was in 2013 when I traded for an Oly E-PL5 kit. Didn't like it at all. Hated the menus and user interface. Didn't like the output. Liked the 75/1.8 lens (a lot). Sold it all.

Last year was looking for a smaller fixed lens camera with a 40-50mm FOV and articulating screen. Came across the GX8 which intrigued me so I bought one and was fairly impressed. I like the size, interface and all the features. Image quality is very good. Love the 20/1.7 pancake. Bought some more lenses as I was using the camera more and more.

But I sill think my D700 has much better image quality than the GX8. When I really want a certain shot, I go for the D700. Otherwise I carry the GX8 and a Ricoh GR and maybe the Sigma Merrills.

I like Panasonic's approach to the menu system and interface and build but, in the end, I don't see m43 as a replacement for FF sensors...more of a complement. The images just don't have that smoothness and depth I get from the D700 and Zeiss glass (or even older AIS glass).

Jan 01, 2018 at 02:25 PM
swanny66
• •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

I sold my 600mm, etc. Nikon gear for weight gain. I like birding and photography and it was either/or with full frame gear. Also, I have no interest in keeping a website and the like. I am a hobbyist. I also liked the image quality for my purposes. In all honesty, older digital cameras that I paid thousands for have lesser image quality that I made large prints of with no issues. I rented the em1 MkII and like the images for my uses. I am also not a pixel peeper. And know technology wise, this format will displace the larger frame for many people. Full Frame has its use but it is no longer for me. I think if hobbyists really think about what they are doing with the system they have they would also steer away from full frame.

Jan 02, 2018 at 01:01 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

swanny66 wrote:
I think if hobbyists really think about what they are doing with the system they have they would also steer away from full frame.

I agree, except for using my legacy (and more recent) ultra-wide angle lenses.

Harold

Jan 02, 2018 at 02:26 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Today I have been trying some full frame macro with my A7R, originally purchased for wide angle lenses. Anyway, as I wait for the huge RAW files to be processed, I am reminded that m4/3 can save huge amounts of computer time.

Harold

Jan 03, 2018 at 12:13 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Harold's points about FF and wides (and file sizes) is significant, to me. I bought a Samyang 7.5/3.5 fisheye for this purpose, but the correction of straight lines for interiors is not straightforward.

When I turn my mind back to Nikon FF and the excellent 14–24/2.8 (though a beast of a lens), I do miss that simplicity. I am considering getting a Sony A7r ii, and using OM lenses on it for this reason.

Jan 03, 2018 at 05:30 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
I bought a Samyang 7.5/3.5 fisheye for this purpose, but the correction of straight lines for interiors is not straightforward..

Which is why I also have a Laowa 7.5mm for m4/3. It may only give the FOV of a 15mm on FF but that is usually more than adequate.

Harold

Jan 04, 2018 at 01:26 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

I also bought the Samyang for that purpose, and to be honest its horrible compared to a corrected lens on full frame

Jan 04, 2018 at 05:22 AM
pmeheut
• • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

pr4photos wrote:
I also bought the Samyang for that purpose, and to be honest its horrible compared to a corrected lens on full frame

The Laowa 7.5.mm is excellent. I compared it to the Voigt 15mm/4.5 on a Leica M10, a Canon 17-40mm on a 5D3 and a Pana-Leica 8-18 on an EM1-MkII.
It has the widest FOV and is better in the angles even than the Voigt which is already very good.

Jan 06, 2018 at 02:58 PM
crf59
• •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

My two cents on this. I am an admitted gear-a-holic. I love quality cameras and lenses (I own some older Nikon and Leica film bodies just because of their build quality). Yes, I like photography, but I like well made hardware just as much. I've had literally every brand of digital camera, full frames, APS-C, m4/3, you name it. I loved the file quality from the Nikon FFs I've had, but ultimately what's driven me back to m4/3 (again - third time) are the following: 1) Size really does matter. I carry either an OM-D E-M1 MkII or Pen F now as my primary bodies (and oh, by they way, use a Ricoh GR II as backup). With either a couple of Oly Pro lenses or a handful of primes, the kit is MUCH smaller and lighter than the FF equivalent. 2) The build quality of the Oly bodies is great and the lenses are optically fantastic almost across the board. Certainly the Pro lenses (I have the 7-14 and 12-40 at present) are a match for anything out there and, again, are very small in comparison. 3) IQ is good enough - It's funny how people are so OBSESSED with megapixels, high ISO noise and other IQ topics. Some of the world's best photos were taken 40 years ago when ISO 400 film was about the limit and the prints were nowhere near as good technically as today's. I've fallen prey to that myself, but am "maturing" at almost 60. m4/3 has gotten to the point with the new processing and 20MP sensor that it's almost a match for the FF stuff anyway within reason. So I've settled in now and will use my tiny camera bag and thank the m4/3 manufacturers for saving my shoulder and back.

Jan 16, 2018 at 07:43 AM
swanny66
• •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

How many people are actually making 48" or greater prints? And even then 4/3 is plenty good enough for that. I made prints that size with the Canon 10d where ISO 400 was marginal at best. They still look great. some of it is we are spoiled with the advances and some is a lack of trying something new, selling off gear, etc. 4/3 isn't for everyone but for me it works fantastic....especially with the 4/3 cameras out there.

I feel as though for the bird photography I am in a better situation than the folks using all that heavy gear getting images that are marginally, if at all, better than I produce currently. And having lack of mobility due to all that gear is a huge issue for me and what I am looking to do. There is a law of diminishing returns spending $25k+ plus the weight for the images that are being produced as a hobbyist. I kind of laugh at the people that have the big gear and think that is THE only option out there. Each of us has to determine what works for them and nobody is necessarily wrong.

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:08 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Size matters. Megapixels matter too if you want to see more detail and/or if you crop your pictures. 600mm is often just not long enough for smaller birds. And let's face it ... none of the m43 cameras can quickly and accurately lock focus on a BIF like a DSLR. The Sony A9 comes a little closer but is still a far cry compared to the DSLR.

I have shot quite a lot of birds with my Olympus 300/4 PRO in the last couple of years but I cannot get the same level of sharpness/crispness/detail that you can get with a high-megapixel FF DSLR. Never mind the fact that my BIF keeper rate is well below 10%. Being a casual bird shooter, I have no desire to invest in a bulky/heavy and expensive DSLR setup ... but there is no denying that m43 is not really suited to BIF work ... not today anyway.

If you are a serious bird shooter and do not mind the weight and bulk of a DSLR kit ... and can afford the super-telephoto lenses, you will use a DSLR. If you go to Bosque del Apache or Conowingo Dam or LD-14 and places like that, you will see that well over 90% of the shooters use either Canon or Nikon ... for very good reason. It's not about the size of the prints but the quality of the images and the keeper rate.

swanny66 wrote:
How many people are actually making 48" or greater prints? And even then 4/3 is plenty good enough for that. I made prints that size with the Canon 10d where ISO 400 was marginal at best. They still look great. some of it is we are spoiled with the advances and some is a lack of trying something new, selling off gear, etc. 4/3 isn't for everyone but for me it works fantastic....especially with the 4/3 cameras out there.

I feel as though for the bird photography I am in a better situation than the folks using all that heavy
...Show more

Jan 18, 2018 at 01:29 PM
swanny66
• •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

If you go to Bosque a majority of the popular photo locations are roadside or very close. Same with FL, owls in northern MN, etc. so of course you will find more big lenses there. Hike the mountains in AZ for example and tell me how many of those you see (I have seen zero). As well as a large majority of the hobby wildlife shooters not aware of the Olympus capabilities.

I am new to the system but I also use the TC so I am at 840 for the smaller birds (same fl as FF). I have not had any problem getting close to small birds using either system. That is a matter of technique I have acquired over the years. I agree with the ability to crop going to FF. But for me, I did not like the results cropping in either system other than the Sony. I even digiscoped in Iceland with an RX100 with very good results. It is all what you want out of your images. I am not a pixel peeper anymore....for the most part. I always check before I process.

Autofocus goes to FF I suspect but I am not a BIF guy. This guy is and has a great success rate with Olympus.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4224638
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4232372
The Olympus tracks gnatcatchers and kinglets just fine for me. Those are perpetual motion machines!

Afford is not the issue. Size and portability with good image quality for me. That is why we all make different choices. And being happy with the images based on a law of diminishing returns. $4500 vs $10,000-$25,000. 5 times the spend is not making 5x , or 2x, the difference in the image. Hence why I rented before buying the system and understood not only the limitations but the output. I recommend everyone do the same and enjoy your photography whichever way you go!

Jan 18, 2018 at 02:34 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Like many here, m43 is an alternative to larger gear (in my case FF gear). Bought primarily for the bulk and weight savings when traveling. It's really handy for the increasingly stingy airline allowances, and when I need to just tuck lenses into a coat pocket and not carry a bag. IQ is very good when I'm fully engaged in the picture taking process, even if I prefer the overall IQ and handling from the FF gear.

I did not find the crop frame DSLRs to be enough of a weight/bulk savings over the FF DSLRs. Perhaps mirrorless crop frame will be the happy medium, though I feel no particular hurry to get rid of the m43 gear.

Jan 24, 2018 at 02:23 PM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.