Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       end

Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

You're absolutely right about LR and C1, C1 dose get more detail but not as soft looking as LR
I was able to use this OM raw I found online and process it using both
LR on the left and C1 on the right
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 10.09.41 PM by Daniel Danrich, on Flickr

Jun 01, 2017 at 05:16 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

What makes the E-M1.2 a fun camera? Let me count the ways.

• Camera ergonomics. The E-M1.2 is just the right size - not too big and not too small (e.g. Sony A7RII) so it becomes front-heavy and disproportionate when you stick a 600mm lens on the body. The grip is also very comfortable compared to the A7RII which is too close to the lens so it pinches your fingers. It’s the perfect size IMO - for both, men and women.

• Size/bulk/weight of lenses. m43 lenses are most definitely more compact and lighter than either APS-C or FF lenses, given the same focal length and speed. The PL 100-400 lens is only 6.75” long and weighs only 2.17 lbs. The Nikon 200-500 lens is 10.53” and weighs 4.6 lbs. The Canon 200-400 lens is more than twice as long and almost 4x the weight of the PL. And the quality of the pro-series and high-grade lenses are second to none - as good as the best DSLR lenses. And the range of m43 lenses, both native and non-native, is quite staggering and still rapidly expanding.

• Feature set. The feature set is ridiculously huge. High-Res mode allows you to capture 50MB RAW files, Pro Capture mode captures 14 frames as soon as you touch the shutter button, in-camera focus stacking and focus bracketing, live time mode allows you to see the image capture in real time, built-in intervalometer, dual card slot, Super Control Panel, etc, etc. No other camera has this many useful and practical feature set.

• Speed. Continuous/sequential shooting of 15 fps (RAW) in mechanical mode and up to 60 fps (RAW) in silent/electronic mode. No other camera is faster than this.

• Image stabilization. It’s no secret that Olympus has the best IBIS of any camera system. You get 5.5 stops of IBIS with any lens, and 6.5 stops with Sync-IS with the 300/4 PRO lens.

• Image quality. For a smallish sensor, the IQ is very impressive. Of course it does not have the resolution of a 40-50MP FF sensor but it can hold its own in terms of noise, etc. You don’t have to take my word for it - you can do the comparison yourself here, thanks to Imaging Resource: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

• Sensor dust reduction. Olympus invented the Super Sonic Wave Filter. No other camera can beat the Olympus when it comes to auto sensor dust cleaning. Sony has the worst track record for sensor dust cleaning.

• Battery life. The new/larger battery gives you approx 30% more power than the E-M1 which is very significant. The A7RII battery is absolutely shit compared to this.

These are just some of my reasons. There are many other reasons that may be important to you but not as important to me, so I have not bothered to highlight those reasons. And I am sure there are a few more reasons that I cannot think of right now.

Once you get over the basic learning curve and you have immediate access to the SCP or Super Control Panel you are 90% there i.e. ready for most shooting situations. I rarely have to dig into the menu, except when I need to reformat the SD card or set/change some button functions.

FWIW, I do own a Sony A7RII (for the 3rd time) that I rarely use - as my go-to camera is the E-M1.2 - simply because it’s that much more fun to shoot with, period.

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
I've been watching just about all the youtube videos of the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and noticed that many reviewers say it's a fun camera to use
So what makes it a fun camera to use to you?

Jun 01, 2017 at 04:10 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Any camera that you enjoy using is a fun camera, whether it be a cellphone or a 1DX II.

Jun 01, 2017 at 04:19 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

True that! I was just giving my reasons for my fun camera. Come to think of it, my other fun camera/video is my iPhone 6+

Imagemaster wrote:
Any camera that you enjoy using is a fun camera, whether it be a cellphone or a 1DX II.

Jun 01, 2017 at 04:45 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

bobbytan wrote:
True that! I was just giving my reasons for my fun camera. Come to think of it, my other fun camera/video is my iPhone 6+

Are you trying to say your Sony is not a fun camera?

Jun 01, 2017 at 04:48 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

That's exactly what I am saying! All the Sony shooters will disagree with me, of course, and that's fine as we all have our personal likes and dislikes. And I am just expressing my personal opinion.

The E-M1.2 ... to me ... is a much more fun camera to shoot with. This in no way means that the E-M1.2 is a better camera with better IQ. We are talking strictly about what our "fun camera" is. It's also partly because that I have gotten so used to the OM-D cameras (and we are all creatures of habit) and I am stubbornly refusing to learn how to use the Sony camera properly. Then again, the ergonomics, menu system, etc of the Sony just doesn't appeal to me as much.

Imagemaster wrote:
Are you trying to say your Sony is not a fun camera?

Edited on Jun 03, 2017 at 10:33 PM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2017 at 05:57 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

What bothers me about MFT and APS-C is the way they cheat on there claim to having a true F/2.8 on some of there lenses when there clearly only 5.6 or so

Jun 01, 2017 at 05:59 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

What's in a number? Doesn't bother me one single bit.

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
What bothers me about MFT and APS-C is the way they cheat on there claim to having a true F/2.8 on some of there lenses when there clearly only 5.6 or so

[url=https://www.youtube.com

Jun 01, 2017 at 06:02 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

bobbytan wrote:
What's in a number? Doesn't bother me one single bit.

Numbers don't lie

Jun 01, 2017 at 06:04 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

They don't .... but they can be represented in any number of ways. Just ask Trump!

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Numbers don't lie

Jun 01, 2017 at 06:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

bobbytan wrote:
They don't .... but they can be represented in any number of ways. Just ask Trump!

Obviously you didn't even watch the video and see that MFT and APS-C lie about the true f/stop
Trump: Doesn't bother me one single bit.

Jun 01, 2017 at 06:28 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Well the lenses are actually 2.8 (or whatever is indicated on the lens)

A 25mm 1.4 M43 lens is 25mm and is 1.4.

You can mount that M43 lens on a FF Sony* and it will be just like any other 25mm 1.4 lens (except with vignetting due to the smaller size).

The issue is that the angle of view of that 25mm lens is aprox the same as a 50mm lens on a FF camera and everyone gets that but it also has the depth of field of a 2.8 lens (50mm FF).

* There ARE adapters but unless a lens has mechanical aperture and focus it is pretty pointless.

Jun 01, 2017 at 06:36 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Um, that guy doesn't understand what an f stop is. It's a physical measurement of the aperture size relative to the focal length of the lens (focal lengths also seem to confuse him, again, this is a measurement of the lens itself and has nothing to do with sensor size).

A 25mm lens is a 25mm lens on any camera, the aperture is also the same on any camera. How a lens behaves on different cameras doesn't change anything about the lens.

So the numbers aren't lying, he just doesn't understand them. Or maybe he does and just made click bait, I couldn't watch that video for very long. I hope he didn't have to worry about T stops or his head might explode...

Jun 01, 2017 at 07:03 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Obviously you didn't even watch the video and see that MFT and APS-C lie about the true f/stop

Hey, if you want to believe that guy's video, you may as well believe everything that Trump says.

Don't you find it funny that he is the only photographer that seems to have this problem with ISO, f-stops and focal-length numbers?

Last time I looked, my 60mm f2.8 lens really was a 60mm f2.8 lens, and last time I looked, my ISO 400 on my E-M1 Mk II was ISO 400.

Jun 01, 2017 at 07:11 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

To be fair, I don't think he actually says anything wrong but he doesn't say that a micro four thirds 2.8 lens is really a 5.6 lens either.

He is just saying that (for example) a micro four thirds 25mm 2.8 lens has the depth of field and angle of view of a FF 50mm 5.6 lens and for that he is right.

The other thing is that he is being theoretical while two people using two cameras next to each other in available light are unlikely to be trying for the same photo and would more likely be using a similar ISO regardless of sensor size (unless the lens F stop is vastly different). M43 lenses typically have the same F stops as larger format cameras .

If someone ONLY uses micro four thirds and has never used a larger sensor the focal length and f stop will be the norm for them.

I started with 35mm film and use multiple formats so I do compare but only so I know what I am using.
I have different systems because they ARE different (and I can use the same lenses across systems for a different angle of view/depth of field).

Besides DOF gets infinite pretty quick with wider lenses regardless of the sensor often enough.

Jun 01, 2017 at 07:30 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

@PrecisionPhoto

I've watched a few of Tony's videos but stopped before I reached the end, simply because in every single one I have watched he's always gotten things wrong, everything from small things to large and important things. Sometimes something as simple as specs about a camera or lens that he even succeeds in reading wrong from a spec sheet.

There is no cheating with F-numbers or ISO.

A 25mm F1.4 lens on m43 does the same thing as the same 25mm F1.4 lens on a 35mm sensor camera apart from the fact that it gives a different field of view, more resembling that of a 50mm.

The light gathering capability and depth of field has to do with the lens and not the sensor. Even if you remove the lens from the camera it will still maintain its characteristics.

What does matter some is that in order to have the same field of view as, say a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera, you need to use a 25mm lens on a m43 sensor (two times crop facor) which in it self gives less ability to throw things out of extreme focus. Put the same 50mm lens on a 35mm camera and a m43 camera and shoot a subject from the same distance and they will both have the same shallow depth of field, the same ISO, shutter speed and aperture settings. The difference is the photo with the m43 camera will be much tighter.

Jun 01, 2017 at 08:05 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Those are fake news/videos!

PrecisionPhoto wrote:

Jun 01, 2017 at 08:14 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

notherenow wrote:
He is just saying that (for example) a micro four thirds 25mm 2.8 lens has the depth of field and angle of view of a FF 50mm 5.6 lens and for that he is right.

No. He is saying that any 25m f2.8 lens on a MFT body will act like a 50mm f5.6 lens on a FF body. Put a Canon EF 25mm on a MFT body (with adapter of course) and it will behave exactly the same as an Oly 25mm lens on the same body. It is not a peculiarity of the lens, it is a function of how much more you need to magnify the image when you present both camera outputs at the same physical size. And that last bit is important - it only applies where you try to get the same framing with both bodies.

Jun 02, 2017 at 09:43 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

It will only behave like a 50mm F5.6 lens if 1: Like you said, try to get the same framing 2: It will only behave like that in terms of depth of field, nothing else. F2.8 is F2.8 is F2.8. End of story.

Jun 02, 2017 at 10:47 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Mikehit wrote:
No. He is saying that any 25m f2.8 lens on a MFT body will act like a 50mm f5.6 lens on a FF body. Put a Canon EF 25mm on a MFT body (with adapter of course) and it will behave exactly the same as an Oly 25mm lens on the same body. It is not a peculiarity of the lens, it is a function of how much more you need to magnify the image when you present both camera outputs at the same physical size. And that last bit is important - it only applies where you try to
...Show more

Well yes. That was just an example. Which is also what I said (but that also includes a micro 43 lens too and it is m43 lenses against larger sensor lenses that he was using in his charts.

I regularly use FF lenses on FF, APSC and M43 and also use M43 lenses on E mount (FF and APSC) and Canon APSC lenses on E mount (FF and APSC) and also previously used some of them on a Pentax Q.

Jun 02, 2017 at 12:44 PM
       8       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password