Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              7       8       end
  

Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?
  
 
PrecisionPhoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


bobbytan wrote:
Subject isolation or background blur is a different matter from bokeh. Yes, you typically get about 2 stops more DOF with m43 ... which is great for landscape work and when you don't want a two-eyelash DOF! When I shot with the Canon 85/1.2L I never shot it wide open as (a) AF is a hit-and-miss at best, and (b) the DOF is just waaay too shallow - not usable IMO.

Here's a shot with my Nocticron wide open. I love the Nocticron 10x more than the 85L II that I had for many years.


Very impressive lens that Nocticron, could bring me over just because of it's ability on the Oly



May 25, 2017 at 07:36 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Very impressive lens that Nocticron, could bring me over just because of it's ability on the Oly


You would like these samples then, all shot with the Nocticron.





























May 25, 2017 at 08:39 PM
PrecisionPhoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


bobbytan wrote:
You would like these samples then, all shot with the Nocticron.


Superb!



May 25, 2017 at 08:45 PM
notherenow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Very impressive lens that Nocticron, could bring me over just because of it's ability on the Oly


Personally, all the lenses mentioned for all systems are very nice and it comes down to preference.
For me, the new Sony 85 FE 1.8 would deserve a closer look.

I am wanting the FE 85 more and more every day (and that would retire my old FD 85 1.2 L most likely).

It is cheaper and may well be even better and is also lighter than the 42.5

I just wish it was a Canon EF lens so I could use it on both my Sony and my M43 GX7.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-FE-85mm-F18-on-Sony-A7R-versus-Panasonic-Leica-DG-Nocticron-42-5mm-F12-ASPH-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-EF85mm-f-1.2L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5DS-R__1818_917_1297_1136_270_1009

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=sony_fe_85_1p8&products=canon_85_1p2_ii&products=panasonic_42p5_1p2

If I was using M43 as my main system, the 42.5 looks very nice and tempting though.



May 25, 2017 at 08:46 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


If you want to compare the Nocticron to the Sony or Canon lens, you need to compare it to an equivalent camera/sensor i.e. Sony A6000 and the Canon 7D II ... and the scores will look very different:

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-FE-85mm-F18-on-Sony-A6000-versus-Panasonic-Leica-DG-Nocticron-42-5mm-F12-ASPH-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-EF85mm-f-1.2L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II__1818_942_1297_1136_270_977

notherenow wrote:
Personally, all the lenses mentioned for all systems are very nice and it comes down to preference.
For me, the new Sony 85 FE 1.8 would deserve a closer look.

I am wanting the FE 85 more and more every day (and that would retire my old FD 85 1.2 L most likely).

It is cheaper and may well be even better and is also lighter than the 42.5

I just wish it was a Canon EF lens so I could use it on both my Sony and my M43 GX7.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-FE-85mm-F18-on-Sony-A7R-versus-Panasonic-Leica-DG-Nocticron-42-5mm-F12-ASPH-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-EF85mm-f-1.2L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5DS-R__1818_917_1297_1136_270_1009

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=sony_fe_85_1p8&products=canon_85_1p2_ii&products=panasonic_42p5_1p2

If I was using M43 as my main system, the 42.5 looks very nice
...Show more



May 25, 2017 at 09:05 PM
notherenow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


bobbytan wrote:
If you want to compare the Nocticron to the Sony or Canon lens, you need to compare it to an equivalent camera/sensor i.e. Sony A6000 and the Canon 7D II ... and the scores will look very different:

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-FE-85mm-F18-on-Sony-A6000-versus-Panasonic-Leica-DG-Nocticron-42-5mm-F12-ASPH-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-EF85mm-f-1.2L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II__1818_942_1297_1136_270_977



No, you need to compare it on what it would be used on.

Also 85mm on APSC is not the "same" as 42.5 on M43 while it is on FF.

The biggest difference it seems using FE lenses on APSC is the lens T stop. Some FF Sony lenses have a T stop the same as the F stop (like this lens) on FF but lose a bit on APSC. The Nocticron, while 1.2 F stop is 1.7 T stop on M43.

Also, the A6000 seems to always take a hit for some reason (even the 20mp A5000 has that lens sharper than the 24mp A6000). You could have picked a different M43 camera for instance (the Nocticron gets 6PmPix for sharpness on my GX7).

Yet even after that, the Nocticron on the latest m43 isn't any sharper than the 85 1.8 FE on a older APSC camera that (like the m43 GX7) seems to take a hit on DXOmark and for which the lens isn't a valid comparison.

I love my GX7 by the way and again, all these lenses are very nice.




Just as DXO doesn't include the later APSC Sony's it doesn't include the 24mp Sony's but I am sure the lens would score better on the later Sony APSC cameras as well as the 24mp FF cameras.



May 25, 2017 at 09:27 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


Yes, you are right. I was thinking that you will may be using the Canon on the Olympus camera.

notherenow wrote:
No, you need to compare it on what it would be used on.

Also 85mm on APSC is not the "same" as 42.5 on M43 while it is on FF.

The biggest difference it seems using FE lenses on APSC is the lens T stop. Some FF Sony lenses have a T stop the same as the F stop (like this lens) on FF but lose a bit on APSC. The Nocticron, while 1.2 F stop is 1.7 T stop on M43.

Also, the A6000 seems to always take a hit for some reason (even the 20mp A5000 has that lens sharper
...Show more




May 25, 2017 at 09:41 PM
notherenow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


bobbytan wrote:
Yes, you are right. I was thinking that you will may be using the Canon on the Olympus camera.



Ok.

I actually would use the Canon on the Oly (if I had either) but that is because M43 is my second system and I can use it on both Sony and M43.

I don't have the E-M1ii or the EF 85 1.2 ii L. (or FE 85 1.8 YET).

I do like to use my old 85 1.2 FD L on my GX7 but yes, the Nocticron would be much better than any of the combinations I would use on my GX7.

That is why I was wishing the new FE 85 1.8 WAS a Canon lens so I could use it on both (as different focal lengths).

None of my lenses would score all that high on my A7s either (I would say the 85 1.8 would score either 11 or 12PmPix on the 12mp A7s at best) but for ME, that would be just fine as the low light performance is what I need.

Choice is good.



May 25, 2017 at 09:49 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


I started with a Canon DSLR, the D30, in 2000. Had more Canons, a Sony a99, two Sony a7Rs (I and II), an Oly EM5, two Samsung top-of-the-line mirrorless 'DSLRs', and finally an excellent Pentax K-1 with, eventually, five heavy, expensive Zeiss Z-series primes including two converted from F-mount. The weight and complexity of the latter system is typical of my tendency to get too involved--my loving wife calls me 'Mr. Excess' for good reason--in having too much of the gear I love instead of staying with a system that's more usable and CARRIABLE. (The Pentax wasn't uncarriable, all those heavy lenses were--and understand that I'm 73 and not in the best of shape.)

I discovered the EM1.2 just a month or so ago, and convinced by its larger body and especially the more-prominent handgrip, now have a body, 3 batteries, batterygrip, 2 MMF-3 adapters, and the 'big-3' 4/3 lenses--the 7-14*, 12-60, and 50-200--plus the 50/2 Macro and a little superzoom**. They occupy about 2/3 of my rolling bag's space, and it weighs what seems like about HALF of what it did full of those Zeisses. Since one can't have it all in one camera, I'm willing to give up excellent low-lite, high-ISO performance for a system that's MUCH-more usable for me. The body feels EXCELLENT with the BG--the body-only's grip is slightly too short for my not-large hands, even with the RRS plate on it--and balances any of my lenses just finely. Image quality is excellent.

I LOVE it.


* and have ordered Fotodiox's WonderPana 145mm filter/adapter plate for it. I have four of these already--for the Pentax 15-30 (pic below), the Canon 17TS-E, and also for 77- and 82mm screw-ons. Have a CPL and 10-stop 145mm screw-on filters plus plus slide-in grad-NDs.


** but I confess to just ordering the M43 12-100/4

Edited on May 27, 2017 at 05:48 PM · View previous versions



May 25, 2017 at 11:02 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


I am surprised that anyone new to Olympus would buy their discontinued FT lenses instead of the native m43 lenses ... as there so many great options like the PRO series lenses and also the Panasonic and Panasonic-Leica alternatives.

I did buy the FT Zuiko 150/2 on impulse (I've been drooling for this lens!) when Olympus was selling them for 1/2 price a couple of months ago ... and it's now listing on eBay! It's actually an extremely nice lens but it's just too big and heavy for us seniors with tired/aching bodies!

Jeffrey Behr wrote:
I discovered the EM1.2 just a month or so ago, and convinced by its larger body and especially the more-prominent handgrip, now have a body, 3 batteries, batterygrip, MMF-3 adapter, and the 'big-3' 4/3 lenses--the 7-14*, 12-60, and 50-200--plus the 50/2 Macro and a little superzoom**.

I LOVE it.

** but I confess to just ordering the M43 12-100/4




May 26, 2017 at 12:06 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Jorgen Udvang
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


I've gone from Nikon to m4/3 twice, first from D300 and D2Xs to GH1/2/3 and then from D700/D810 to GX8/G85/GM5 last year. My main reasons for changing are:

- Size and weight. The GX8 with 12-35/35-100 f/2.8 weighs slightly more than the D810 alone.
- Price vs. quality. The m4/3 lenses that I use are not cheap, but compared to comparable quality lenses for Nikon cameras, they are certainly cheaper.
- Convenience of mirrorless. While I prefer optical viewfinders, electronic ones are much more convenient. I can review photos in the viewfinder, there's peaking, enlarging, it works for video etc.

After trying the E-M1, I went with Panasonic over Olympus mostly due to ergonomics. Panasonic is very similar to Nikon in that respect. I mostly also prefer the Panasonic and Panasonic/Leica lenses. Most of them are not as clinically sharp as the Zuikos, but they offer a more pleasant rendering and a much nicer bokeh. The 12-35/35-100 kit is also much smaller than the Zuiko 12-40/40-150 kit. I also have the Zuiko 75/1.8, a must have lens, and a Samyang 135/2.0 in F-mount with adapter until there's native prime alternative available around 150 or 200mm.

If Panasonic doesn't come up with a hi-res mode soon, I'll probably buy a Pen F for product and macro photography, but the kit I currently use is very, very good, and works for anything from family snapshots via travel to industrial macro photography. I will buy more lenses eventually, but I don't really need to



May 26, 2017 at 01:53 AM
mitesh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


I recently switched over to Olympus m43 from Canon FF. I owned 2 EOS 1DX cameras and a plethora of EOS lenses: 11-24/4L, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 100-400/4-5.6L IS II, 200-400/4 1.4L IS, and 800/5.6L IS. I had absolutely nothing to complain about with the Canon gear. Weight wasn't a concern for me.

I decided to try out the E-M1.2 more or less on a whim because I was looking for a compact and lightweight alternative to my Canon gear, primarily on the telephoto end, that I could take on casual outings or when space and weight concerns made the large Canon kit less practical. After shooting the E-M1.2 with the 12-100 PRO and 300 PRO lenses, I was very surprised at not only the image quality, but how feature-packed the camera is, and how excellent the lenses are. After a few months, I decided that as an amateur, I had no reason or justification to maintain an expensive Canon FF kit when I could get results that were at least 80% as good for less than a third of the total cost. I've since spent more on Olympus gear, including some ZD lenses like the 90-250/2.8 and 300/2.8, and I'm enjoying using all of it.

I still have a small Sony FF kit, and plan on getting the FE 100-400 and a9, but that's due to my gear addiction, not any shortcomings in the Olympus kit . I try to remind myself that the cleanest high ISO shot or the shot with the smoothest bokeh isn't necessarily the shot that someone will remember as being special. It's a compelling composition and use of light that will always set an image apart. Those two things depend more on the photographer's skill than the equipment used.



May 26, 2017 at 02:42 AM
rstoddard11
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


I'm a FF shooter currently, but seriously considering M4/3 system as an everyday walkaround kit.

This is a great article

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/microftmerit/merit2.html




May 26, 2017 at 04:21 AM
tonychen
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


Went from Canon 6D to Sony apsc and then m43. I like the low weight and affordable lenses selection. I did noticed the high ISO lacks when I shoot some indoor events. I probably will pick up a Canon ff and keep two systems.




May 26, 2017 at 04:30 AM
PrecisionPhoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


Since starting this thread 3 days ago now I've been intensely reading and looking at everything I can to learn more about MFT.
I love the lens choices and how I could have a complete kit system for a lot less money and be done with it.

But...... I've been looking at peoples work on pixelpeeper.com and what's gnawing at me is the amount of noise I see from the Oly even using low ISO.

Then again is seems to depend on how experienced the photographer is? or is there an elephant in the room of Oly's problem with low light and high ISO use, because the grainy photo's are causing me to retreat but want to believe in the system

Your thought's



May 26, 2017 at 10:24 AM
Jeffrey Behr
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


bobbytan wrote:
I am surprised that anyone new to Olympus would buy their discontinued FT lenses instead of the native m43 lenses ... as there so many great options like the PRO series lenses and also the Panasonic and Panasonic-Leica alternatives.

I did buy the FT Zuiko 150/2 on impulse (I've been drooling for this lens!) when Olympus was selling them for 1/2 price a couple of months ago ... and it's now listing on eBay! It's actually an extremely nice lens but it's just too big and heavy for us seniors with tired/aching bodies!


Well, Bobby, the new lenses are WAY too expensive for me; two of these excellent 4/3 lenses were about a quarter of the cost of new M43 versions, the 7-14 and MMF-3 adapter were given to me by friends(!), and where's the M43 50-200?



May 26, 2017 at 01:57 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


It's coming ....

https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/panasonic-lumix-catalog

Jeffrey Behr wrote:
Well, Bobby, the new lenses are WAY too expensive for me; two of these excellent 4/3 lenses were about a quarter of the cost of new M43 versions, the 7-14 and MMF-3 adapter were given to me by friends(!), and where's the M43 50-200?




May 26, 2017 at 02:34 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


PrecisionPhoto wrote:
But...... I've been looking at peoples work on pixelpeeper.com and what's gnawing at me is the amount of noise I see from the Oly even using low ISO.

Then again is seems to depend on how experienced the photographer is? or is there an elephant in the room of Oly's problem with low light and high ISO use, because the grainy photo's are causing me to retreat but want to believe in the system

Your thought's


I think you should stop fixating on noise and go out and take great photos with the E-M1 MkII, like many others are doing. Not sure why anyone would even look at that site. Perhaps you could post a link to Mk II images because I did not see any.

Like many others, I have always found pixel-peeping to be a giant waste of time. The majority of people are more concerned with the image than with noise.



May 26, 2017 at 03:33 PM
PrecisionPhoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


Imagemaster wrote:
I think you should stop fixating on noise and go out and take great photos with the E-M1 MkII, like many others are doing. Not sure why anyone would even look at that site. Perhaps you could post a link to Mk II images because I did not see any.

Like many others, I have always found pixel-peeping to be a giant waste of time. The majority of people are more concerned with the image than with noise.

OK my fault, I was looking at picture not from the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II




May 26, 2017 at 03:48 PM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?


A good majority of folks on FM are hobbyists who eventually become gearheads and ultimately suffer from GAS! Consequently, most FM'ers cannot see the forest for the trees because of all the gear rhetoric and excessive pixel-peeping.

Imagemaster wrote:
I think you should stop fixating on noise and go out and take great photos with the E-M1 MkII, like many others are doing. Not sure why anyone would even look at that site. Perhaps you could post a link to Mk II images because I did not see any.

Like many others, I have always found pixel-peeping to be a giant waste of time. The majority of people are more concerned with the image than with noise.





May 26, 2017 at 03:50 PM
1       2      
3
       4              7       8       end






FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              7       8       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password