Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Wow, thanks so much for all the response
I too had the Oly + Zuiko in the 80's, then I went to Canon 2004, then Sony in 2012 with the A7
I'm debating getting the A7rII or wait for the replacement A9r but somehow I stumbled across an article about the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II looks very intriguing

I was suggested David Thorpe who reviewed Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and said the camera is capable of 50MG?
Is this right?
Thanks All!

May 25, 2017 at 02:21 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Well, @James Farrell
I can sort of agree and disagree with you that "worse" is a bad choice of words. Let me change that to "not quite as good" or "not quite as terrific" if that is better?

Just so you understand me correct, I love my m43 system, I am far more invested in the m43 system then I ever was in the Nikon system although I had an expensive kit there as well. Then again, I was in my early 20's when I started shooting and didn't have much money which might have made a difference there.

The simple fact is a smaller sensor doesn't produce as clean results at either low or high ISO. It's physics, simple as that. Only way to achieve that would be with drastically fewer megapixels for the smaller sensor. Now, like I said before, everything is a compromise and for me, if it doesn't show in prints, it doesn't matter. I gladly use a smaller system with slightly less image quality from the sensor. The lenses for m43 are second to none.

I made an A3 size print this week, actually, I made three but this one in particular was cropped from the original file of 16mp down to just 5. 5 Mp, I mean that's less then the Nikon D100 and Canon EOS 10D had in what, 2002? The print looks amazing, there isn't a sign of noise, pixels or other sensor related issues.

Yes "worse" may have been a poor choice of words but it's "true" and also doesn't matter one bit. I think if people actually started to PRINT their photos instead of pixel peep at 100% or 200% many more people would realize they don't need either FF or a huge amount of pixels.

May 25, 2017 at 06:35 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

@PrecisionPhoto

I am still using my fathers OM1 who he gave to me a couple of years ago, he bought it new when it was released together with a 24mm and 50mm and I love the camera. I am still hoping that some day we will have a viewfinder that gets close to the OM1 viewfinder. The camera in it self is also amazing, perfect size, weight and shape!

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II, Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk II and Olympus Pen-F all have the high-res shot mode. It was first released in the E-M5 Mk II and it is not a gimmick although it does have some limitations.

As the sensor in these cameras are stabilized it moves around. Olympus has taken the stabilization and used it in order to shift the sensor half a pixel, take a shot, move half a pixel, take a shot and repeat this for 8 images which it then combines. It combines it to a 50mp JPEG or 80mp RAW. The entire sequence takes around 1 second which means it is not suitable for moving subjects and it must be used on a tripod (or similar). The E-M1 Mk II is the best of the three cameras as they have managed to improve it for slightly moving subjects such as running water, moving leaves in trees etc but it is still not quite there. Olympus them selves say they are working towards making it hand holdable in the future.

Check out Robin Wongs reviews of Olympus cameras and lense.

This one is about the high-res mode of the cameras.

https://robinwong.blogspot.se/2016/11/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-review_8.html

May 25, 2017 at 06:47 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Ok so I couldn't get a large version posted from 500px. I uploaded it to flickr instead which made it much easier to include here.

Here's the 5MP crop from the original image I was talking about.

May 25, 2017 at 07:08 AM
gary0319
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

When I was introduced to MFT it was using a Canon 7d/100-400 L for wildlife and a Canon SX60 bridge camera for street and festival stuff. I was pretty happy with the 7d kit, but disappointed with the image quality from the SX60.

A friend showed me some Africa safari pics she shot with a Panasonic GX7 that really impressed me, and the size of the GX7 was not much larger than the SX. I bought a GX7 with kit lenses and a Panasonic 100-300 to replace the SX60. It wasn't too long after that I was getting equal or better images from the GX7 than I was getting from Canon 7d. I was having fun and my neck pain was gone.......and soon, so was the Canon.

Since then, I've had a number of MFT bodies and lenses and although I use the Olympus E-M1 II/PanLeica 100-400 as my wildlife outfit and my Pen F with the Oly 12-40Pro for most other times, I've recently purchased a Lumix LX100 for those times when I just want something other than my cell phone but still fits in a waist pouch or jacket pocket....... kind of like what I was looking for originally to replace my SX.

I've actually come back to where I started, but now I'm a size 8, instead of a size 12....I feel better, and my pics are better, too.

May 25, 2017 at 12:57 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Ok looking at some sample shots from the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO Lens I notice the bokeh is not very good even wide open
Is this a trate of the MTF then?
Thanks

May 25, 2017 at 01:40 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Ok looking at some sample shots from the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO Lens I notice the bokeh is not very good even wide open
Is this a trate of the MTF then?
Thanks

There is nice bokeh from m43 and bad bokeh from DSLR like these samples here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1429904/107#14015741

I have a ton of samples of nice bokeh - as I am big on bokeh and I hate bad bokeh. The Nocticron lens has the best bokeh IMO but I would think that the 25/1.2 has sweet bokeh too. Here are a couple of recent samples, albeit with the FT Zuiko 150/2 lens.

May 25, 2017 at 03:15 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Here are some images that I shot with my 75/1.8 lens at the Renaissance Faire. Yes, the highlights are blown on the 1st image, but it will still be blown if I had shot this with my A7R II.

May 25, 2017 at 03:23 PM
kimknapp
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

If you are considering waiting for the A9R, I would seriously consider getting the A7Rii and EM-1 Mkii. I personally think they make a great combination. To minimize the number of lenses you would need, use the Oly for wildlife with longer lenses and the Sony for all other shots.You would have, IMHO, the best of both worlds and the total probably would be less than the cost of the A9R when (if) it comes out.

Best advice given so far, IMHO: RENT. Try them out and take lots of pictures in different light, of different subjects. Make sure the rental gives the option to use the rental fee towards purchase. Splurge and rent several different lenses. For example, for wildlife, some people swear by the Oly 300 Pro and others swear by the Panny 100-400, so rent them both and take lots of pictures (film is free after the initial SD card purchase).

May 25, 2017 at 03:47 PM
James Farrell
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

While I have sung the praises of my new Olympus gear loudly in this thread, I do understand the challenges of achieving subject isolation or bokeh in the m43 system compared to a high-end full frame DSLR-good lens combo. (And I acknowledge the fine thoughts that "Wilbus" has outlined in his most recent posts here). With that said, I have been very pleasantly surprised how well the Oly pro line of lenses perform wide open or almost wide open in contrast to the myriad of Nikon lenses or third party F mount lenses that I had owned for 10 years that required at times considerable stopping down to achieve optimal sharpness. I guess my comments here have turned into more of a full disclosure statement that my artistic skills of subject isolation need considerable refinement. There, a full confession- I feel better now. Bottom line: I am really enjoying my m43 experience.

May 25, 2017 at 04:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Better yet ... get the E-M1.2 now ... and the A7R III later when it comes out.

kimknapp wrote:
If you are considering waiting for the A9R, I would seriously consider getting the A7Rii and EM-1 Mkii. I personally think they make a great combination. To minimize the number of lenses you would need, use the Oly for wildlife with longer lenses and the Sony for all other shots.You would have, IMHO, the best of both worlds and the total probably would be less than the cost of the A9R when (if) it comes out.

Best advice given so far, IMHO: RENT. Try them out and take lots of pictures in different light, of different subjects. Make sure the rental
...Show more

May 25, 2017 at 04:06 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Had I shot this at the same distance with a Canon 1DX & 100-400 II, I would not have got any better results.

E-M1MarkII    LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/320s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 25, 2017 at 05:03 PM
kimknapp
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

As Tony said.
OOC, cropped about 50% horizontally and vertically, with only a little positive Clarity in LightRoom. Taken from my condo balcony!

E-M1MarkII, Olympus 300mm Pro, 1/1000 sec at f/6.3. ISO200

kimknapp 2017

May 25, 2017 at 05:28 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

bobbytan wrote:
There is nice bokeh from m43 and bad bokeh from DSLR like these samples here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1429904/107#14015741

I have a ton of samples of nice bokeh - as I am big on bokeh and I hate bad bokeh. The Nocticron lens has the best bokeh IMO but I would think that the 25/1.2 has sweet bokeh too. Here are a couple of recent samples, albeit with the FT Zuiko 150/2 lens.

To be fair, your using an equivalent of 300mm that would naturally give you acceptable bokeh
But subject isolation seems to suffer for MFT in the lower mm as stated by Darren Miless in his video

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 10.47.43 AM by Daniel Danrich, on Flickr

When seeing the use of the Oly 25mm f/1.2 it came up short compared to the Canon FD 50mm f/1.2 in Bokeh

A7+ Canon FD 50mm f/1.2
DSC07346 by Daniel Danrich, on Flickr

I honestly want to move to Olympus but still not decided
Thanks

Edited on May 25, 2017 at 07:11 PM · View previous versions

May 25, 2017 at 06:15 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

What about the "bad bokeh" sample link I had posted? Those were shot with a Canon 800mm lens.

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
To be fair, your using an equivalent of 300mm that would naturally give you acceptable bokeh
But subject isolation seems to suffer for MFT in the lower mm as stated by Darren Miless in his video

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4201/34046303584_f9e167087e_b.jpgScreen Shot 2017-05-25 at 10.47.43 AM by Daniel Danrich, on Flickr

When seeing the use of the Oly 25mm f/1.2 it came up short compared to the Canon FD 50mm f/1.2 in Bokeh

A7+ Canon FD 50mm f/1.2
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4267/34078932723_841c99b54b_b.jpgDSC07346 by Daniel Danrich, on Flickr

Thank

May 25, 2017 at 06:35 PM
gary0319
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

OK, if you need to have the shallow DOF of a FF 1.4 lens, then MFT is most likely not for you. Creamy backgrounds with MFT need more work and careful selection of both lens and subject/background. Just a fact of life.

Perhaps shoot with a longer focal length with as shallow an f stop as the lens allows and get more separation between the subject and the background. More of a problem for doing people portraits than wildlife with a long lens, but the shape of the bokeh is not, in my opinion, an inherent drawback to the MFT sensor.

May 25, 2017 at 06:36 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

PrecisionPhoto wrote:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4201/34046303584_f9e167087e_b.jpgScreen Shot 2017-05-25 at 10.47.43 AM by Daniel Danrich, on Flickr

A7+ Canon FD 50mm f/1.2
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4267/34078932723_841c99b54b_b.jpgDSC07346 by Daniel Danrich, on Flickr

Thank

Subject isolation or background blur is a different matter from bokeh. Yes, you typically get about 2 stops more DOF with m43 ... which is great for landscape work and when you don't want a two-eyelash DOF! When I shot with the Canon 85/1.2L I never shot it wide open as (a) AF is a hit-and-miss at best, and (b) the DOF is just waaay too shallow - not usable IMO.

Here's a shot with my Nocticron wide open. I love the Nocticron 10x more than the 85L II that I had for many years.

May 25, 2017 at 06:46 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

If you are not impressed or convinced by the images posted here and on these links ...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1491325
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1489509
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1489333

... then I don't think m43 is right for you, as you are not mentally willing to accept the limitations of the smaller sensor. You will NOT get the ultra-shallow DOF and you will NOT get the very high ISO performance and resolution of the A7R II or D810, unfortunately.

Edited on May 25, 2017 at 07:21 PM · View previous versions

May 25, 2017 at 07:18 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

gary0319 wrote:
OK, if you need to have the shallow DOF of a FF 1.4 lens, then MFT is most likely not for you. Creamy backgrounds with MFT need more work and careful selection of both lens and subject/background. Just a fact of life.

Perhaps shoot with a longer focal length with as shallow an f stop as the lens allows and get more separation between the subject and the background. More of a problem for doing people portraits than wildlife with a long lens, but the shape of the bokeh is not, in my opinion, an inherent drawback to the MFT
...Show more

Yes, long focal length with the 4/3 would be acceptable but harder with lower focal length
Nice shot

May 25, 2017 at 07:21 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

bobbytan wrote:
If you are not impressed or convinced by the images posted here and on these links ...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1491325
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1489509
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1489333

... then I don't think m43 is right for you, as you are not mentally willing to accept the limitations of the smaller sensor. You will NOT get the ultra-shallow DOF and you will NOT get the very high ISO performance and resolution of the A7R II or D810, unfortunately.

You're very helpful, look forward to the thread you started on the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II
Get me a good cigar and a glass of beer and enjoy the read
Thanks

May 25, 2017 at 07:24 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password