Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              8       9       end

Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

I have to say there seems to be an attraction to micro 4/3 and the photos they produce

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II looks very intriguing, and the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II photo page and amazing

I went from Canon to Sony, but micro 4/3 looks wonderful and the system is so much less expensive to Canon to Sony

Thanks

May 24, 2017 at 01:48 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Changed from Nikon and FF (D700) when the original E-M5 was released. I wanted to downsize to look less like a photographer in the street. Can't say it really worked, I still felt and looked like a photographer and in order to get shooting street photo I need a different state of mind, not a different camera

However, that was just one of the reasons and the only reason that failed. I also wanted to down size in order to take the camera with me more. I have no real issues with the weight of a FF camera and a standard zoom like a 24-70 BUT there is indeed a huge difference when carrying a m43 camera compared to a FF with similar lens. It's quite noticeable after a couple of hours. More then this I enjoy adventures, kayaking, hiking, climbing, mountain biking. Everything that has to do with the outdoors. It's so much easier to bring along a m43 system compared to something bigger. Last year I did a seven day hike with around 28kg of weight on my back, including camera gear. I brought an Olympus E-M1, a 12-40 and 40-150 both F2.8 PRO zooms + a 1.4 TC. They gave me a reach of 24-300mm in FF terms + up to 420mm with the TC. It all weighted under 2kg. This is the real benefit for me when it comes to m43. Had I wanted something even remotely similar from a FF for example the weight would have been far higher.

It is less expensive for most part and the lenses as well as cameras are quite amazing.

Make sure you know why you want to change though. They do not produce better images then any other system. In the end and in theory, with the smaller sensor, it creates "worse" images, at least technically. Having said that, I made a heavy crop from a photo yesterday and printed it on an A3 size paper, about 12x17 inches. The crop was well bellow half the image size and the print came out amazing, there is no sign of any degraded quality.

So all in all, low weight, amazing lenses coupled with high speed cameras and great autofocus (not so great continues AF of the bodies prior to the E-M1 Mk II) makes for a system that I truly love.

May 24, 2017 at 02:49 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

If no one else chimes in your comments have really helped
Maybe comparing the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II to Fiji Sony and Canon noise issue and not fair to my judgment
Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 7.57.45 PM by Daniel Danrich, on Flickr

May 24, 2017 at 03:02 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Well, I hope they help and would love to welcome you to m43 in the future and I am quite sure others will reply as well!

The noise issue at 200 iso i no problem, it's really no problem at 6400 either. I've made A4 prints from 6400 without seeing any kind of noise. If you compare the cameras on screen, zoom to 100% or 200% at base ISO you will see a difference in noise. The files from a large sensor is cleaner, but then again if you go medium format it is cleaner still. There is always a trade off somewhere.

The question is wether the trade off is visible and wether it is acceptable. I know I can make A2 prints and larger with no problems at all with m43 (that would be 24x36 inches more or less) and do so at higher ISO then base ISO.

Heck, I have a photo on my wall from a NIkon D80 that was released in 2006, it was 10mp and not really one of the best 10mp sensors either. It was miles an leaps behind the modern m43 cameras. The photo is 100x70cm, that's about 40x27 inches, and it looks great. Sure, if you walk close to it and looks for pixels you will find them but the only people in the world stupid enough to look at a 100x70cm photo from a few centimeters away are... well... us photographers.

Do you mean it is not a fair comparison, comparing the Olympus with the rest?

May 24, 2017 at 03:23 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

No just ridiculous to pixel peak, but your right I had an old 1D Canon that was 8MG and I did some great 24x30 prints that look superb

May 24, 2017 at 03:31 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Ah ok! Completely agree! If it doesn't show in print it doesn't matter.

May 24, 2017 at 04:39 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

I went from Canon (7Dmk2 + 5Dmk2 + various L lenses) to Olympus

Initially ran both systems, keeping the 7Dmk2+ longer L lenses for my sport and birding work

When the EM-1 mk2 came out I sold the 7Dmk2 + remaining L lenses and got the PL100-400

Reason for the switch? Weight, increasing old age meant I could no longer hand-hold the canon system

Regrets - none (I print my work to sell and none of my customers have commented on the results from the two systems, except to say that they prefer the colour produced from the Olympus)

Prints and projected images still win competitions for me too

May 24, 2017 at 06:48 AM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

I gave M4/3 a try to escape the cost of "L" lenses.

May 24, 2017 at 06:59 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Well I am a professional photographer with Nikon FF cameras and big heavy pro lenses, but I also have a Lumix GX8 and a set of lenses.

The Nikon kit is what I use for paid jobs. In low light I simply could not do the jobs I do with any m43 camera. Anything above 1600iso and the Nikon is massively better. But you would expect that.
In daylight, to be honest the GX8 could quite easily do the job. But the people that pay me expect to see a big professional camera being used, and the GX8 doesn't look like that. Heck, my flashes are bigger than my GX8.

So why did I buy an m43 kit? The reason is that away from work I still like taking photos, but I wanted a camera kit that is smaller and lighter. The m43 ticks all the boxes. I have a small camera bag with all the kit in, and can comfortably go off on holiday/hiking/general walking about, and not feel weighed down. The GX8 is a pleasure to use, and the images are fantastic, within the limitations of iso range.

May 24, 2017 at 10:22 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

I am running MFT (Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic GC7) along with Canon DSLRs and big lenses. I often take the Canon along with me for widllife/sports and pack an MFT for wide angle/midrange without the need to change lenses (and the MFT with 3 lenses is not much bigger than the 24-105).

In most cases the image differences are not critical, but my simply knowing the larger sensor produces more detailed images for crops etc is enough for me to keep the Canon rig.

May 24, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kimknapp
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

As with Mike, I did not actually leave my old camera, I just added MFT.
I have a Sony A7Rii and a Sony 6300. Since I bought the Oly E-M1-ii, I have not picked up the 6300 (so, I guess I did leave it).

I got the Oly for bird and other wildlife photography.

Advantages of Oly with Oly 300Pro lens:
Easy to carry when hiking, biking and kayaking.
Faster focus.
Sharp. Great stabilization.
Easier to make quick changes to settings.

Disadvantages:
Dynamic range. You will spend more time making sure you don't have overblown/underblown details. This one, for me, will improve as I become more and more careful adjusting exposure and lighting (especially in middle of day, harsh light).
Noise with low light. Not a huge disadvantage because the MFT sensor has come a long way, but it is still not as good as the Sony FF, obviously.

Overall, I really enjoy it.

When I can, I use the Sony/Sigma combo (can means no BIF, no long hikes, no biking and no kayaking).
All other times, I use the Oly, which ends up being most of the time.

I am going to Costa Rica at the end of the year and wondering if I should bring the big Sigma lens or just use the Oly combo. I'll still bring the Sony for other images.

May 24, 2017 at 03:39 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

I was shooting Canon for a number of years and when Olympus announced the release of the OM-D in 2012, I got on board without any hesitation. I shot with the original Olympus OM back in the 80's and have always loved the compact size and high quality of Olympus glass.

My reasons are:

1. Compact size. I've had enough of the big/bulky/heavy Canon bodies and lenses. I do mostly travel photography and size matters when it comes to carry-ons!

2. Fun factor. Shooting and schlepping around a small and lightweight kit makes photography that much more enjoyable.

3. Cost. Prices are generally significantly lower than the L-series lenses e.g. the Nocticron and 300/4 PRO.

4. IBIS. No other system can match the Olympus when it comes to IBIS and Sync-IS.

5. Image Quality. Yes ... IQ. For a small sensor, the quality is amazing. No, it's not as good as a 40-50MP FF sensor but it's really not that much different in good light unless you enjoy pixel peeping or do major cropping. And the pro lenses are every bit as good as any L-series or Great White.

May 24, 2017 at 04:20 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

DR is actually quite good. It's a stop lower than the Sony a6500 but a stop better than the Canon 7D II:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-Sony-A6500-versus-Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II___1136_1127_977

kimknapp wrote:
Disadvantages:
Dynamic range. You will spend more time making sure you don't have overblown/underblown details. This one, for me, will improve as I become more and more careful adjusting exposure and lighting (especially in middle of day, harsh light).

May 24, 2017 at 04:32 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Some sample photos that I shot last weekend at the Renaissance Faire in Irwindale, CA.

More photos here ... and yes, these were also shot at the RenFaire:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1491672

May 24, 2017 at 04:41 PM
James Farrell
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
If no one else chimes in your comments have really helped
Maybe comparing the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II to Fiji Sony and Canon noise issue and not fair to my judgment

A couple of comments ... statement by Wilbus that the Olympus images are "worse" is a poor choice of words and an overstatement in my view. As far as noise is concerned (as a result of higher ISOs), I would like to say that the combination of excellent Oly EM1.2 in body image stabilization combined with some Oly lenses IS plus the smaller form factor of M43 makes handholding at much lower shutter speeds much more do-able, making possible to keep ISO settings lower. I found that comparison to be very real when re-evaluating shots with a Nikon D500 and a lens like a 150-600 (both of which I owned and have recently sold). The ISO numbers with the Nikon and long lens combos got so high as a result of necessary high shutter speeds as to make images almost unusable.

While I have no experience with Panasonic gear, I assume the same thing holds true for Pany as well. My comments are biased towards outdoor shooting at long focal lengths (e.g., wildlife). I acknowledge that portrait photography is another story.

Bottom line for me is the smaller form factor of m43 is making photography fun and enjoyable again. And my large prints look great. And I am shooting RAW only and processing in Capture One Pro 10 which supports Olympus (lens profiles and High-Res) beautifully.

Edited on May 24, 2017 at 06:58 PM · View previous versions

May 24, 2017 at 05:12 PM
vadafallon
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

Went from Nikon d750 to Panasonic GH5. Video was great, photos meh... i am back with Nikon d810 but still considering picking up another m43 strictly for video. That IBIS on the GH5 was killer!

May 24, 2017 at 05:20 PM
James Farrell
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

James Farrell wrote:
A couple of comments ... statement by Wilbus that the Olympus images are "worse" is a poor choice of words and an overstatement in my view. As far as noise is concerned (as a result of higher ISOs), I would like to say that the combination of excellent Oly EM1.2 in body image stabilization combined with some Oly lenses IS plus the smaller form factor of M43 makes handholding at much lower shutter speeds much more do-able, making possible to keep ISO settings lower. I found that comparison to be very real when re-evaluating shots with a Nikon D500
...Show more

I should add one more comment - I understand fully that there are those of you who shoot professionally and need your high-end, heavy DSLR gear to make a living. I, being 70 years old, am just trying to "stay in the game" in photography and need a smaller, easier to handle form factor like m43. Enough said. To each his/her own.

May 24, 2017 at 05:29 PM
srvfm
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

I'm an enthusiast only, and went from superzoom (FX20) to Canon D30 ...many cameras later...1DX. But with the extra hassle of traveling (flying especially) with the large body, large charger/batteries, large lenses (combinations of 17-40f4L, 24-105f4L, 70-200f2.8 and 120-300f2.8) I found I was leaving it at home and just getting crappy iPhone pictures. But while traveling in Canada I stumbled upon the Olympus OMD-EM5 and thought it looked pretty good and would be great for travel. It got me back into photography. Over time, I've added most of the PRO lenses and use the system 90% of the time. The only time my 1DX gets used is for low-light situations. I take photos of my son's high school swimming and diving and my daughter's dance. Once those situations are done, I may sell the Canon.

May 24, 2017 at 05:55 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

More and more pros have adopted the m43 format and all the Olympus Visionaries are pro photographers:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/visionaries?ref=CJ

James Farrell wrote:
I should add one more comment - I understand fully that there are those of you who shoot professionally and need your high-end, heavy DSLR gear to make a living. I, being 70 years old, am just trying to "stay in the game" in photography and need a smaller, easier to handle form factor like m43. Enough said. To each his/her own.

May 24, 2017 at 06:09 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tell me why you went micro 4/3 and what brand you left?

I added a cheap M43 camera (Olympus E-PL2)to my Pentax system to test the mirrorless waters.

After a while I went full mirrorless effectively (still had some pet DSLRs) and gave the PL2 away and replaced it with my current GX7 as well as adding an A7.

I have then added an A7s and sold the A7 (A7s is the camera I always wanted).

I started with a few native lenses for m43 and mostly adapted lenses for the Sony including Canon EF and FD.
I have since sold most of my m43 lenses and now just have a couple of native M43, a couple of native Sony E mount and mostly lenses I can adapt on both.

AF with EF lenses on M43 is effectively native fast for AFS (pretty much zero for my GX7 and Kipon adapter for AFC and video). AF is much slower with the same lenses on Sony.

M43 will mostly always be a secondary system for me and has its uses.

I may well upgrade the GX7 later this year (or next year).

I still have an old 6mp Nikon DSLR but it is just a relic along with a lot of film SLRs and rarely used (does have a nice high flash sync).

I might add a native lens to each system as well though the Sony will take priority for me. I shoot a LOT in low light and am often at high ISOs and it is chalk and cheese. IF M43 gets as good as the A7s is currently at low light (at least 2 generations away I would think), I might consider M43 more for my primary system though by then I would think FF would be even better.

For day time, M43 is fine for me.

May 24, 2017 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password