New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

Planning a trip to Washington state for wildflowers in August. Will be camping hopefully close to the wildflowers for easier morning and evening access. Between Rainier and Baker, which do you prefer for wildflowers with the mountains in the background. Which trails would you recommend and camping spots.

Thanks.

May 23, 2017 at 08:14 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

Rainier is my choice. All the trails are good. Both Sunrise and Paradise have good hikes, but there are others like Lower and Upper Tipsoo Lakes. You can't go wrong.

May 23, 2017 at 11:18 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

Rainier might be a late year (later than the last 3-4 years anyways). 3 years ago, it was mid July. 2015 it was in June and last year i think it was late July. This year it could be late August since they got a ton of snow.

I would do Rainier for sure!

May 23, 2017 at 11:54 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

Ok...sounds like it will be Rainier. What campsite would you suggest and is it possible to remote camp on the mountain?

May 24, 2017 at 12:43 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

Mount Rainier would be my pick too. The park website should answer your camping questions.
For campgrounds: https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
For wilderness camping: https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/wilderness-camping-and-hiking.htm
Keith W.

May 24, 2017 at 01:00 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

Great information...thanks. Any trails recommendations that are better for wildflowers. I understand it can become quite a mess with people on popular trails.

May 24, 2017 at 05:14 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

When I went, sunrise had no blooms but paradise was at peak. You'll need to follow the reports and have plans a for several regions.

May 24, 2017 at 06:36 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

chez wrote:
Great information...thanks. Any trails recommendations that are better for wildflowers. I understand it can become quite a mess with people on popular trails.

Its a popular place, there will be people everywhere. Are you going to Backpack? That might be your only option to get a few less people around you. But you might as well come to grips now, there will be people there doing the exact same thing you are doing, exploring and shooting wildflowers. For the most part, if you want to avoid people, then Mt Rainier is not for you.

And as David mentioned, you will just need to check recent reports prior to your going. The blooms can be quite varied and are different each year.

Jim

May 24, 2017 at 06:43 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

sunrise blooms at a different time than paradise. paradise is at like 5500 feet (ish), and sunrise is at 7000+ feet.

Indian Henrys hunting ground is a FANTASTIC area, but is a bit brutal to get to if not used to non stop elevation gain for 5 + miles.

May 24, 2017 at 07:33 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

chez wrote:

I was at peak for Paradise. One early morning I walked up the paved trail from the lodge about ten minutes to a field of beautiful lupines. Not another soul there. Once everyone had breakfast and the light was poor, there were throngs of people.
I couldn't find much for guide books, but I did like having these two foldable cards with me.
http://www.tomhaseltine.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1461

May 25, 2017 at 06:30 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

Given what I hear about the PNW winter, Rainier in August may be way too early. This is from early September in 2011, a year that was not as wet

http://www.lghtbx.com/u/groovygeek/0BxMbtrAZYEMofnFKaGlpSWhyZ0Y4aXZNbUVQcDZvTzJjRHZvd2ZZdVM2TFQxVk0zRFJ3UWM/0BxMbtrAZYEMoRTVBMlNSa0Y2dm8

May 30, 2017 at 02:19 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

I recall in planning our trip I found a snow pack report online that compared the Rainier area to prior and average levels. This helped the guess work to plan our trip.

May 30, 2017 at 09:19 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

Tag

Jun 08, 2017 at 09:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rainier or Baker for wildflowers in August

this was from mid August on Rainer 2011
900% more snow that year.

Aug 14, 2017 at 07:26 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.