New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Off road 2, Shafer trail

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off road 2, Shafer trail

I showed some pictures of this road last year, but this year I specifically wanted to give some idea of the sheer gain in altitude in such a short space. The first is from the bottom up as we returned. The road just sort of disappears as it enters the switchbacks. The second shows the view from near the top. The last shows some of the switch backs.

This is an easy road and you could drive it in your sedan in good weather. The switchbacks are tight, I had to back up for a new angle for one of them. But overall its not hard. The rough road part starts later in the White Rim.

View from bottom

View from top

Switchbacks

May 22, 2017 at 08:25 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off road 2, Shafer trail

Great job capturing the scale of this place.
The switchback gave me a flashback when I road the beartooth on my Harley. You guys out there live in God's country. It's massive!

Did they film a lot of old western movies here? I swear those buttes look familiar.

Dave

May 22, 2017 at 01:03 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off road 2, Shafer trail

They may have, but I think mostly in Monument Valley. This road was built to drive cattle to Moab, and improved in the 50's to hunt for uranium.

May 22, 2017 at 01:44 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Off road 2, Shafer trail

Having these vistas in your back yard makes me want to punch you and every Westerner in the face.

Thanks for sharing, Ben!

Jeff

May 22, 2017 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.