New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

My old 24" 1920x1200 backlight is dying. The tubes only have 16,000 hours burn time but the unit is beyond the 5 year warranty.

Is there anything better than the new Eizo CG2730 in its class? A 4K monitor is out of the question due to the tiny fonts. Thanks.

EBH

May 21, 2017 at 08:49 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

You can't go wrong with either but have a look at the NEC PA272W, it may suit your needs for $1000 less and can easily handle the most critical photo work.

May 23, 2017 at 12:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

I saw that one before, but is there a way to calibrate the monitor directly without a computer connected to it?

EBH

May 24, 2017 at 07:20 PM
manvin

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

Hi there,

I don’t know if there is anything is better then CG2830, however I’ve purchased this monitor few days ago - i really love this monitor so much because of the following reasons:

The best things i like:

- Seamless electrostatic switches is amazing touch, you can even dim or turn off for the power indicator via menu.

- Screen is matt with minimised reflection with non-glare panel.

- Light-shielding hood is much faster to put on and take off via magnet built-in

- Slim monitor

- Easy on eyes level to the monitor

- Eizo logo is remove at the front - much easier to focus on the screen

- No more eyes fatigue

- Color Rendition is absolutely outstanding

- Smooth video play

- wide gamut AdobeRGB

- Quite smooth for 8-bit gradation ( i wish i had 10-bit support graphic card )

- Uniformity from corner to corner (don’t expect too much from pure black screen)

- Stable color just under 2 mins

- Amazing black level

- Calibration process took no more then 3-4 mins and its quite accurate.

- ColorNavigator software is pretty good generally.

- Not much heat generate from this monitor

- Low power wattage

- Crazy lower power wattage especially on the standby mode

Things i don’t like it:

- Unable to hide the cables (Power Supply, DisplayPort and USB) at the back of the monitor especially on landscape mode

- It’s bit hard to adjust the monitor to most comfortable angle and reposition due stiffness & require bit of effort to move hight, tilt and ONLY swivel is much easier to move left or right.

- Looking at the Light-shielding hood in portrait mode is very strange lol

I used the following setting for CG2730 calibration process;

D65
Gamut: Adobe_RGB
Brightness: 80cd/m
Black Level: Minimum
Gamma: 2.2
Priority: Gray Balance.

It took few days for me to get used to idea from 30” Apple Cinema Display to 27” EIZO, I’m very happy with CG-2730.

Jun 09, 2017 at 06:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

Thanks. I normally use 100 nits for brightness and have the monitor calibrate itself every two weeks. My older Eizos were a bit stiff in movements as well, but I'm the only user and won't do much but adjust the height to access ports occasionally. The area behind my display is a cluster o' cables and a 4-port KVM switch will reside there.

EBH

Jun 09, 2017 at 07:24 PM
manvin

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

EBH,

In that case I'm glad I'm not the only person who face stiff

I will have to learn how to setup for re-calibrate itself for once a week, just wondering which old Eizo are you currently using? I never heard of 4 port KVM Switch before - what do they offer?

Jun 10, 2017 at 07:54 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

Are those CFL tubes replaceable? My Eizo 27" is 5 years in age, and may be fading.

Jun 10, 2017 at 09:45 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

I have the CG245W, which was a high grade model in 2010 (more expensive than the CG2730 is today). Currently I have a main computer, a secondary computer, an Intel NUC (will be the web/email connected computer), and a business laptop all on a DVI-D KVM. I'm planning to use a DP KVM in the future, though there are limited choices and DP emulation can be wonky.

EBH

Jun 10, 2017 at 09:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

rico wrote:
Are those CFL tubes replaceable? My Eizo 27" is 5 years in age, and may be fading.

I doubt the panels are even available anymore unless Eizo stockpiles them.
Most manufacturers replace defective monitors with new models after the old models have been discontinued a few years. I suppose you can contact them.

EBH

Jun 10, 2017 at 09:55 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

Not the panel, the CFL tubes. I should be able to open the panel and see removable CFL tubes. The CFL tubes might be available from Eizo or a CFL tube supplier. The panel itself is then restored to original brightness at a small cost. That's the theory, anyway. I'm in the market for this restoration since my monitor is otherwise fine. I have the 10 bits/channel capability, BTW.

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:10 PM
manvin

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

rico wrote:

I think Eizo come with 5 years warranty, if your warranty still remain active then I would advice you to check with Eizo!

However if 5 years warranty is expired then this will be at your own risk to look inside and find out what's the model for the CFL tubes.

Jun 11, 2017 at 07:10 AM
manvin

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

EB-1 wrote:
I have the CG245W, which was a high grade model in 2010 (more expensive than the CG2730 is today). Currently I have a main computer, a secondary computer, an Intel NUC (will be the web/email connected computer), and a business laptop all on a DVI-D KVM. I'm planning to use a DP KVM in the future, though there are limited choices and DP emulation can be wonky.

EBH

Wow that's nice monitor CG245W and intel NUC !

I think I got very good deal for the CG2730 for £1,359.00 and other country is selling much higher price between £1,600 to £1,800 due currency conversion (USA & Germany).

I normally work on Mac & Windows together on a Mac Pro using VMware - much easier to work together and file sharing too!

Jun 11, 2017 at 07:25 AM
manvin

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

rico wrote:
Not the panel, the CFL tubes. I should be able to open the panel and see removable CFL tubes. The CFL tubes might be available from Eizo or a CFL tube supplier. The panel itself is then restored to original brightness at a small cost. That's the theory, anyway. I'm in the market for this restoration since my monitor is otherwise fine. I have the 10 bits/channel capability, BTW.

Do you think it is worth to upgrade from 8-bit to 10-bit graphic card in order to see billion colours but anyway I'm not sure if the printer will support as 10-bit Colors?

Jun 11, 2017 at 07:28 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

manvin wrote:
Do you think it is worth to upgrade from 8-bit to 10-bit graphic card in order to see billion colours but anyway I'm not sure if the printer will support as 10-bit Colors?

You need a capable monitor and video card, plus software that can drive 10 bits/channel. Most of the time, any graduations are masked by image dynamics. Only in areas of smooth illumination will value steps be visible, and even those can be suppressed with dithering. Rapid screen redraw is my priority and I found a significant slowdown from the 10-bit setting, so 8 bits is enough for me. Of course, the aRGB gamut is unaffected.

Jun 11, 2017 at 05:28 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

4k 24" is very nice to look at. Fonts would certainly be tiny but now we have Ps and Lr allowing for that and displaying text the proper size and looking very nice. Windows copes reasonably well and I dare say OS X does too. There are some exceptions around, especially old software that writes directly to screen, but I think the big boys realise that a lot of people want the benefits of 4k and are working to cope with it.

Browsers are a bit of a problem because ideally we want the text enlarged but not the pictures - unless they're thumbnails and icons. Photos that have enough pixels to fill a 4k screen look really, really good. At 185ppi, a 4k 24" screen is half way to being a self-lit print, assuming standard printing at 300/360ppi.

Ps and Lr draw to the screen at native ppi and so you can get true 1:1 viewing of images without any hidden scaling by the operating system. The user interface is scaled to suit but you have some control over that. The programs simply use bigger font in terms of pixels, but it looks "right" in terms of physical size - unlike a few years ago when it looked minuscule. The programs also display "bigger" boxes to hold the characters.

I don't know what the alternatives to Ps and Lr look like at high dpi.

To my eyes the 90-110ppi monitors look too chunky. I used to lean back to increase the viewing distance a little and they looked ok, but my prescription glasses don't allow me that flexibility now. 133ppi is ok but 185 looks great.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:49 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

manvin wrote:
... but anyway I'm not sure if the printer will support as 10-bit Colors?

The printers use significantly more dots per inch than image pixels per inch, and so they can produce dot patterns (dithering each image pixel to 4x4 or 8x8 dot patterns, for example) to mask the unwanted tonal steps that are relatively obvious on monitors at 8-bits per colour channel. Even so the "secret" remains the same as before - do the heavy editing at high bit-depth to reduce the appearance of problems on a display and on a print, use at least 600/720 dpi for prints (for 300/360ppi images), and use a monitor that can do >8 bits per channel internally even if it can't do so externally.

Jun 13, 2017 at 01:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

Alan321 wrote:
4k 24" is very nice to look at. Fonts would certainly be tiny but now we have Ps and Lr allowing for that and displaying text the proper size and looking very nice. Windows copes reasonably well and I dare say OS X does too. There are some exceptions around, especially old software that writes directly to screen, but I think the big boys realise that a lot of people want the benefits of 4k and are working to cope with it.

Browsers are a bit of a problem because ideally we want the text enlarged but not the pictures -
...Show more

That's not really a viable option. I could probably justify the 4K Eizo, but online Adobe is a no go this time.

EBH

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:08 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

Well, in that case I have one piece of tongue in cheek advice: If you buy a FHD or similar screen, then do not look at a 4k screen of the same size. It'll be like driving a better car, or hearing a better sound system - you'll just want one

Jun 14, 2017 at 05:56 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

That's the problem. I have used a 4K (not mine) and found it just too difficult to see the tiny type without being so close that I cannot see more than a portion of the display. I'm sure it would have been easier 30 years ago without glasses.

EBH

Jun 14, 2017 at 07:32 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Eizo Color Dodge CG2730

EB-1 wrote:
I saw that one before, but is there a way to calibrate the monitor directly without a computer connected to it?

EBH

You still need a computer, though it is true hardware calibration using a 14bit LUT that will stay with the monitor once calibrated, regardless of the PC. Very painless process, but to my knowledge still requires a PC.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.