New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

How to create this lighting effect?

Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to create this lighting effect?

>>> Here <<<

I saw a window display in my local mall with a photo showing a similar look.

Clearly it's 3 gelled heads (Red, Green, Blue, combining to white light on the models), probably undiffused and some distance back from the models … Is that all there is to it?

I found a couple of Youtube vids that show how to color a single shadow, but I don't see that those techniques would work here…

C

May 21, 2017 at 07:56 PM
ugdog
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to create this lighting effect?

That's probably althea is to it. Gel 3 strobes and start experimenting!

May 21, 2017 at 08:33 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to create this lighting effect?

ugdog wrote:
That's probably althea is to it. Gel 3 strobes and start experimenting!

For less than $20.00 you can buy three 20x24 inch sheets of Roscoe gel.

May 21, 2017 at 08:40 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to create this lighting effect?

Three hard lights gelled, but I can't conceive why I would ever do it.

May 22, 2017 at 03:13 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to create this lighting effect?

That is a wild effect.

May 22, 2017 at 02:06 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to create this lighting effect?

For $0 you can get the effect by moving the light and capturing three frames. Then combine R/G/B in post, one channel from each frame. Of course, this method applies to stationary subjects only. Source is a Speedlight:

I still think the result is insufferably dull, but what do I know about Eternal Art?

May 23, 2017 at 05:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

williaty2

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to create this lighting effect?

Ow. That makes my brain hurt because it keeps thinking my eyes are doing something wrong.

May 23, 2017 at 05:59 AM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to create this lighting effect?

You could just have asked me!

As other people have mentioned already, I used 3 gels: red, green, and blue, or the closest approximation thereof from a Rogue gel pack on 3 Cactus RF60s, shooting in parallel about 1 foot apart. It's direct hard light since I wanted an 80s pop vibe (think Depeche Mode).

As you observe, where the light combines, it makes white, and where one or more are shadowed, it makes other colors. I took a shot with an Xrite Color Passport white balance target so I could get a good white balance correction in Lightroom afterwards since the gels weren't pure RGB.

Another hint: keep the lights as far away from the subject (within their lighting power) and the subjects as close as possible to the background so the shadows are as sharp as possible.

It's not original to me as I learned it from Nick Fancher's Studio Anywhere series of books. They're a great treasure trove of lighting ideas for speedlights, especially hard lighting.

So we shot about 115 frames over the course of 90 minutes at mostly 1/4 power, and some 1/2 power towards the end. The flashes were powered by Eneloop AAs, so the recycle times were relatively slow. Yet I melted all 3 gels, with the red one suffering most, presumably because it had to absorb the most energy.

BTW, speaking of heads hurting, every time I looked at the thumbnails in LR, I thought something was messed up with my monitor!

May 24, 2017 at 03:07 AM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to create this lighting effect?

rico wrote:
I still think the result is insufferably dull, but what do I know about Eternal Art?

I think it's super fun, but in the end it's just a treatment/technique; the image could be dull or not dull depending on what else it shows us...

May 30, 2017 at 03:10 AM
Jay Ford

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to create this lighting effect?

Damn. Worst chromatic aberration I've ever seen!

May 30, 2017 at 06:52 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to create this lighting effect?

Jay Ford wrote:
Damn. Worst chromatic aberration I've ever seen!

C

May 30, 2017 at 09:21 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to create this lighting effect?

Andre Y wrote:
You could just have asked me!

As other people have mentioned already, I used 3 gels: red, green, and blue, or the closest approximation thereof from a Rogue gel pack on 3 Cactus RF60s, shooting in parallel about 1 foot apart. It's direct hard light since I wanted an 80s pop vibe (think Depeche Mode).

As you observe, where the light combines, it makes white, and where one or more are shadowed, it makes other colors. I took a shot with an Xrite Color Passport white balance target so I could get a good white balance correction in Lightroom
...Show more

thanks for the explanation on positioning. prior to your explanation, i had solved the physics of colors but couldn't reconcile how to light the subject in monochrome light. :')

May 31, 2017 at 04:57 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password