New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Irix 15mm - what adapter?

niklasl
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

I recently bought a used Irix 15mm in EF-mount and a Commlite EF-FE adapter that provides exif info and aperture control. However, the adapter is slightly too thin, 25.6 mm, which affects focusing. I also have a Metabones IV adapter which has the correct thickness, 26 mm, but that doesn't work electronically with the Irix lens for reasons unknown to me. Metabones do not reply to questions via email.
Does somebody know of a different adapter that has the right thickness and provides aperture control and exif info? Any other suggestions?

May 21, 2017 at 02:36 PM
MJKoski
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

Have you tried setting MB to green/advanced mode? Not all lenses like both modes.

May 21, 2017 at 03:52 PM
niklasl
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

I have tried both modes to no avail. There is no indication of aperture setting in the finder and the aperture cannot be controlled. The shutter can be released and focus enlargement activated after waiting for half a minute or so after switching on the camera.

The Irix ILA-FE2EF adapter will be "coming soon" but I'd rather see it work without any additional expenses. I made a quick attempt of shimming the Commlite adapter but it proved a little tricky and I wasn't confident enough to take it apart completely. Maybe I should give shimming another try?

May 21, 2017 at 05:58 PM
MJKoski
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

It is not that expensive adapter. Maybe go ahead with shimming?

If there is no aperture and shutter speed control it may be a symptom of bad contacts with adapter and the lens. Maybe IRIX's rubber ring is causing it. When I used Canon TS-E lenses with MB4(T) the whole setup would occasionally hang but first I lost all controls.

And there is Sigma-MC11 as well. It was sold at good price not a long ago.

May 21, 2017 at 06:22 PM
niklasl
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

Do you by any chance remember what firmware was used for the Metabones adapter and also in what mode? Did the MC-11 adapter have the correct thickness?

May 27, 2017 at 04:38 PM
Mark K
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

This is a rather shock to me as I also want to acquire an Irix 15mm, which appears everything better than Sanyang 14mm I love and use the same AF adapter on my A7rII. Well, the Samyang can be focused perfectely on my older A7r with a dump adapter. Can't imagine the thickness of an adapter will affect the focus

Oct 07, 2017 at 09:47 AM
niklasl
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

Mark K wrote:
This is a rather shock to me as I also want to acquire an Irix 15mm, which appears everything better than Sanyang 14mm I love and use the same AF adapter on my A7rII. Well, the Samyang can be focused perfectely on my older A7r with a dump adapter. Can't imagine the thickness of an adapter will affect the focus

I got a second hand MC-11 and everything is fine and dandy with the Irix 15mm

Oct 10, 2017 at 06:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

I recommend Kindai (Rayqual). Amazing quality and tight tolerances.

Oct 10, 2017 at 09:08 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

pretty sure my irix works just fine on the a7r2 with metabones mk4

Oct 11, 2017 at 02:30 AM
Mark K
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

The acquisition of Irix is for landscape photography. It is a lens with excellent optical quality, affordable price, ability to use small rear gel ND and flat 100mm GND. It also has electronic contacs.

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:29 AM
Fotog4Life

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

I would stick with metabones.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:12 PM
niklasl
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

In my experience it doesn't work with Metabones (IV). That is also the opinion of Swedish photo retailer Cyberphoto: https://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=irix15fireca (see near bottom of page, English translation here: https://translate.google.se/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cyberphoto.se%2Finfo.php%3Farticle%3Dirix15fireca&edit-text=)

Oct 15, 2017 at 08:12 PM
lightskyland
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Irix 15mm - what adapter?

Curious why people would pick this over the Laowa 15/2?

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:31 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password