New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

srvfm
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

I've been practicing with my relatively new EM1 Mk 2 in anticipation of a trip to Iceland this summer. My experience in Tanzania last year was that JPEG served me well and allowed me to have ample storage and backup. But there were a few files I wished I would have had the RAW version to edit. So my thought is that with the dual card system in the Mk2 I could take RAW files in the primary slot and JPEG files in the second slot. Probably 95% of the time I'll be happy with the JPEG (Olympus seems to do really well this) but for those really well-composed shots, I was thinking I could go to the RAW file and make them even better. So maybe I'll deal with 5% RAW files. That would also save a ton of space on my computer. Does anyone else use this type of workflow?

May 21, 2017 at 03:28 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

Just shoot all RAW, since you can get around 2700 RAW images on a 64GB card.

May 21, 2017 at 06:14 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

Just use RAW, specially if you're going to Iceland!
You don't waana come home with a shot and say "that would have been nice if I could have changed this or that without loss of quality".

Storage space is cheap, you can store a lot of shots on a two TB disc

I use RAW + JPG small but only in order to be able to send JPGs to my phone.

May 21, 2017 at 06:45 AM
srvfm
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

Well last night at my daughter's dance rehearsal shooting RAW+JPEG (SF) I often found the buffer full and I was waiting for the camera to write to my single Delkin 1900X UHS-2 card. This was even on low sequential shooting. Second, even on low sequential shooting, I ended up with 1200 shots in about 2 hours, mostly ones I will end up deleting. So deleting that many RAW and JPEG files is not something I'm looking forward to. It just made me wonder if I should even bother at all with RAW. I've done a bit of RAW processing in the past with my Canon 1DX and ended up just going back to JPEG. In reality, I guess if I were better with post-processing, it wouldn't be as much of a hassle dealing with RAW files. But this is only a hobby.

In Iceland, I anticipate being much more selective in my shooting (should have a much higher keeper rate), and I only see a few situations where I'd use sequential shooting - whales, puffins, and geysers. But I guess the best thing I can think of is to write RAW to card 1 (128GB UHS-2) and JPEG to card 2 (64GB UHS-1) since the RAWs average 21.5MB and JPEG-SF average 13.1MB. That way I can access the RAW files if I need them to bring the most out of an image I intend to print. If I don't I can just use the images on the RAW card as backup.

That would leave me going back to RAW+JPEG on my EM1. I guess I can open the files first, sort them by type and only import JPEG and use the RAWs in a similar fashion.

May 21, 2017 at 06:33 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

Hmmm....interesting.
I use a Lexar 1000x UHS II card in my E-M1 II and I find that with Raw +LSF jpeg my buffer fills at about 64 images when shooting 18fps low burst. I was hoping that if I got a 2000x card it would eliminate the bottleneck, but it doesn't sound like it will.

I would be interested in what cards and what shooting parameters others are using to eliminate the full buffer syndrome.

May 21, 2017 at 09:06 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

Sounds like some people are just trigger happy with high fps, when that is really not needed. No wonder these people are referred to as "spray & pray" shooters.

What activity requires a burst of 64 RAW & jpeg images? And since when is 18fps low burst.? 10fps is considered high burst on a DSLR.

And a daughter's 2 hour dance rehearsal requires 1200 shots? Good thing you were not shooting film.

And what is point of shooting both RAW & jpeg? Backup? I have shot digital for ten years on about 20 different camera bodies and on different compact flash cards and SD cards and never had a failure.

If you really feel the need to shoot at faster than 15fps, you should really consider just shooting in video mode, or get a camcorder.

May 23, 2017 at 01:57 AM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

Imagemaster wrote:
Sounds like some people are just trigger happy with high fps, when that is really not needed. No wonder these people are referred to as "spray & pray" shooters.

What activity requires a burst of 64 RAW & jpeg images? And since when is 18fps low burst.? 10fps is considered high burst on a DSLR.

And a daughter's 2 hour dance rehearsal requires 1200 shots? Good thing you were not shooting film.

And what is point of shooting both RAW & jpeg? Backup? I have shot digital for ten years on about 20 different camera bodies and on different compact flash cards
...Show more

Well, first off, the reason I know that the buffer filled after 64 shots was because I wanted to test it with a faster card, not because I'm just some foolish "spray" shooter, as you seem to imply
Secondly, if you have never done a rodeo shoot, than you would not understand how one would amass such a large number of images in a short period of time. My last rodeo resulted in over 3,000 images shot in less than 2 hours, and yes, the buffer did fill on a couple of long bronc rides (bull riders don't get a chance to fill the buffer much)

I shoot raw+ jpeg because it works for my purposes, not backup.

I asked what I thought was a pretty straight forward question. I was not expecting to be berated for my shooting style.

May 23, 2017 at 11:00 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

You were not berated by me for your shooting style. Shoot anyway you want.

If your Lexar card does not meet your criteria, then use a different card, or work within its limits.

I have shot rodeos, and have done so with a camera that did not shoot in bursts, just like many other photographers have done for the last 50 years. If you want to cull through 3,000 images for a 2 hour rodeo shoot, be my guest.

If you want better buffer capacity, maybe you should get a Nikon D500. That is if you can handle only 10fps.

In addition to benefitting image quality, the EXPEED 5 processor also affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a top continuous shooting rate of 10 fps with full-time autofocus and exposure metering. Up to 200 frames can be recorded in a single burst, even when shooting 14-bit lossless compressed NEF files.

May 23, 2017 at 03:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

Here's the issue, if you use two cards on the EM1.2, the second card will be slower since it's UHS1 only. You can use UHS2 in slot one for the raw files and put jpeg on slot 2, but I'm pretty sure you'll find the buffer speed lagging. You may want to test slower burst speeds (10?) and see how you fare.

May 23, 2017 at 11:48 PM
srvfm
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

Imagemaster wrote:

And what is point of shooting both RAW & jpeg? Backup? I have shot digital for ten years on about 20 different camera bodies and on different compact flash cards
...Show more

As a parent who is not familiar with my daughter's dance routines, I do need to do a little of the "spray and pray" technique. I'm a physician and just cannot make it to my daughter's after school dance practices to know what is coming next or where she may be relative to other dancers in the routine. If I knew when she would be in a clear line of sight I'd take less pictures. I hate going through a thousand pictures to find a few good ones, but I don't have a choice.

The point to me of RAW+JPEG is that if I happen to catch a great shot with great composition, I could always go back to the RAW and maybe make it even better. That way a print would be even better. Plus I've got my son's graduation and our summer trip to Iceland for which to practice.

May 26, 2017 at 03:26 AM
srvfm
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

But what I'm thinking and have to try is this. If i only write JPEG to slot II, the files aren't as big and the slower speeds shouldn't matter as much. The bigger RAW files could go to the faster slot I card.

May 26, 2017 at 03:29 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

I shoot RAW+small JPEG on my old m4/3 fairly often. My reasons are to have a reference to adjust a B&W image, since the RAW processor doesn't really hang on to the camera settings, and also my phone RAW processor gives super bad color, so shooting jpeg gets me around that, if I'm not getting on the computer and want to post to fb or something.

But I think every time I've compared, I've gotten better images by editing the RAW file. So I don't do as much RAW+JPEG as I was doing for a while.

Try converting a RAW to jpeg in your RAW processor directly, no editing. If it looks the same as the camera jpeg, you can just run all your images through the RAW processor later to get jpegs.

I think you should shoot RAW alone, in Iceland, but you could probably just buy $100 worth of cards to cover the jpegs and shoot RAW +JPEG and not worry about it.

Nothing wrong with spray and pray, I know I fire off a bunch of images trying to get a good one sometimes. It's kinda fun! Although going through them can get tedious.

My old Canon actually looks better in jpeg, so I shoot it in jpeg a lot. But RAW is better for editing, and Im not sure if I'll continue to do it. Fun to shoot jpegs, though.

I back up the RAW but not jpegs on m4/3. If there is an advantage to the jpegs, I'd probably back them up. I do on the Canon.

May 26, 2017 at 04:01 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

Jpegs are fine, you just can't edit like you can RAW, imo. And if you blow something out, like snow on a mountain top, it's kinda gone, although I suppose you could burn in a bit of tone with a brush and get away with it, maybe.

I've been watching youtube videos, reading websites, etc and have really improved my pp over the past year or two. I really recommend it, if you have the time. I should have years ago.

Doesn't the EM 1.2 shoot faster than 10fps? Seems like a really fast camera

May 26, 2017 at 04:09 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

AmbientMike wrote:
Doesn't the EM 1.2 shoot faster than 10fps? Seems like a really fast camera

Have you read the specs? It will shoot up to 60fps.

May 26, 2017 at 05:24 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EM1 Mark II RAW+JPEG

Imagemaster wrote:
Have you read the specs? It will shoot up to 60fps.

Amazing! I don't think dslr's are anywhere near that. It's like they read my posts on here about m4/3 being slow, and fixed it.

May 27, 2017 at 01:30 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password