New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · RRS Quick Release Issue on Tripod - Accidental Release

lara_ckl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · RRS Quick Release Issue on Tripod - Accidental Release

OP is talking about a theoretical accidental release, right?

How?

Something, say a loop on a glove, gets caught on the lever and accidentally flipping the lever open. Can that actually happen? Maybe. However, the force required to open the lever is quite substantial. I think that before the lever flips open, the tripod would tip over. Regardless of lever or clamp, if you accidentally apply that amount of force on the top of your tripod, it will topple over.

May 21, 2017 at 12:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · RRS Quick Release Issue on Tripod - Accidental Release

if one tries it can be done with some thinking and effort.

a select few have claimed it has. in over 10 years of use I haven't. there will always be someone that can circumvent all though

May 21, 2017 at 01:48 PM
James Farrell
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · RRS Quick Release Issue on Tripod - Accidental Release

lara_ckl wrote:
OP is talking about a theoretical accidental release, right?

How?

Something, say a loop on a glove, gets caught on the lever and accidentally flipping the lever open. Can that actually happen? Maybe. However, the force required to open the lever is quite substantial. I think that before the lever flips open, the tripod would tip over. Regardless of lever or clamp, if you accidentally apply that amount of force on the top of your tripod, it will topple over.

Have you ever been out in the wild, I.e., walking through brush, trees, etc. and had a branch snag or catch in something on you or what you were carrying? I certainly have. I am not an 'urban' shooter; I like being out in the wilds. Unintended release? It might never happen or maybe it is a remote possibility. But anything is possible. Let me think ... is it called Murphy's Law - What can go wrong will ...? I simply wanted to have a discussion about something that has given me some pause, especially ever since I bought a quick release base plate device that is the mounting base for some expensive gear.

May 21, 2017 at 02:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · RRS Quick Release Issue on Tripod - Accidental Release

the clamp will easily open with no plate installed. with a plate installed it imparts approx 50lbs of clamping force to said plate this then increases the force required to open it up substantially too.

May 21, 2017 at 02:36 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · RRS Quick Release Issue on Tripod - Accidental Release

I snagged the QR level once and my camera tumbled onto a concrete dock. Only happened once in my life but having a lock on the QR lever is something I now prefer. I've snagged my hand strap on a branch more than once albeit not the QR.

May 21, 2017 at 02:38 PM
James Farrell
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · RRS Quick Release Issue on Tripod - Accidental Release

sjms wrote:
the clamp will easily open with no plate installed. with a plate installed it imparts approx 50lbs of clamping force to said plate this then increases the force required to open it up substantially too.

Thanks for the info Steve. >> Jim

May 21, 2017 at 02:39 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.