New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Quick off camera multi flash question

gschlact
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Quick off camera multi flash question

I rarely used flash, but when I do portraits outside, I typically use one off camera flash and a reflector. I do regularly use flash exposure compensation to achieve the blend I want with ambient background light.

My question is if I add a second off camera flash, how do I set up the restive difference in the 2nd flash output vs the primary flash while using TTL exPosture? . For instance, say I want the second flash to be 1/2 stop less bright than the primary flash? I know I can use a second channel with the wireless triggers, but I don't know how to set relative power without going to Manual power.

May 19, 2017 at 11:10 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Quick off camera multi flash question

If you're using the Canon flash system with the ST-E3 as a master, or a 600EX-RT on camera, you can use a ratio in ETTL mode. Typically you would assign one flash to group A and the other to Group B and then the ratio can be anything from 1/1 to 8/1 or the opposite 1/1 to 1/8 depending on how the flashes are labeled.

I'll add that 8/1 is 3 stops over the lower flash, 4/1 is 2 stops, 2/1 is 1 stop.

May 19, 2017 at 11:18 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Quick off camera multi flash question

NCAndy wrote:
If you're using the Canon flash system with the ST-E3 as a master, or a 600EX-RT on camera, you can use a ratio in ETTL mode. Typically you would assign one flash to group A and the other to Group B and then the ratio can be anything from 1/1 to 8/1 or the opposite 1/1 to 1/8 depending on how the flashes are labeled.

I'll add that 8/1 is 3 stops over the lower flash, 4/1 is 2 stops, 2/1 is 1 stop.

Just to clarify, you can also set ratios between slave groups on Canon's wireless system even if using an older ST-E2 or 580/550 series masters. (Optical signaling can work outdoors in the right circumstances.) Mentioned in the case the OP has older gear...

May 20, 2017 at 01:07 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Quick off camera multi flash question

I'm still using the old ST-E2 regularly and the advice above is (as usual) quite correct.

If you are using the ST-E2 you just set a ratio on the ST-E2 and set one gun as A and one as B, if you have a flash on camera set that as a master (which is always A) and then set the ratio on the lcd of that gun once you have set the remote gun as a B

It's pretty simple once you get that flash exposure compensation has nothing to do with exposure compensation, as the OP obviously knows.

May 20, 2017 at 02:46 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Quick off camera multi flash question

Thanks all for the quick start info. I simply forgot about being able to use ratio between channels. I have the Youngnuo 622s and TX so it shouldn't be hard. Time to get the new second flash. The big question is when will Yongnuo integrate a combined ste3 with 622 for master and slave transceiver? Their 685 is integrated slave only, and 600 is only ste3 compatible.

May 20, 2017 at 11:15 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Quick off camera multi flash question

If your using two and want a stop less then move it back the correct distance with ttl flash in manual you can set the powers manually unless you can set it on the flash in ttl mode I seem to recall something as I haven't played with them lately plus you have the option of using groups when I do I have a pocket wizard ttl1 mini and a ac3 zone controller on camera and a pw ttl5 flex on each speedlites I find it's easier than the canon ir system.

May 22, 2017 at 03:03 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.