Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

Jumped on an open-box GH5 and so far pretty impressed (more post to come I'm sure)

Quick question though I can't seem to figure out; why the max burst rate is slower when I'm using a lens like the Olympus 75mm f1.8 verses my 42.5mm f1.2 ?

With the Nocti, the AF-C rattles away at 9 fps, at stated, BUT, with the Olympus mounted, the burst is notably slower, though the settings still list it as H (high).

In AF-S mode it can fire a fast burst, 11 or 14 fps, I forget which and maybe have confused it with my previous XT2 lol

Now to rule out the obvious, the shutter speed is plenty high, daylight. I thought maybe it was something to do with IBIS, so tried it with it on/off. Makes no difference.

There are no fancy jpeg processing settings like i-resolution etc, not that I'm even sure those affect things.

Just seems that the Olympus lens can't to continuous AF at the speed of Panny glass, or maybe its just the Olympus 75mm ?

Its an older lens design, so I'm thinking now maybe it has something to do with the 240fps drive rates of the newer Panny's and that is required to get the 9 FPS

On my GX8 I can't tell a difference, but, on that camera even the Panny glass tops out at 6.5 FPS.

Am I missing something obvious here ?

I will say as an aside, the AF-C does seem quite improved over the GX8, which already wasn't bad. I haven't tried video AF yet, but AF-C for stills is a nice step forward. Less blackout/lag too, even with it on H, so pretty good. My Sony A6300 could only do that at 8 FPS, so we've gained 1 FPS lol. Certainly not going to match the Sony A9 with full live view at 20 FPS, but, I also paid only about 40% of the price of the A9, so fair trade-off.

GH5 is one beefy camera though, makes the GX8 feel like a light little toy

May 19, 2017 at 05:14 PM
Katy C

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

Hi millsart,

how refreshing to know that there are GH5 and GX8 users on this forum.

I can't answer re max burst rate even though I have the Olympus 75 f1.8
I have yet to use the max burst rate with it! I do find my Nocti 42.5mm f1.2
to be faster at focussing though. I have pre ordered the 35-100mm f2.8 v II
Panny. I expect to get it next week and then I shall sell the 75mm. I'm sure
you're right about the drive rate being slower than the latest Panny lenses.

I'm really enjoying the GH5 especially with my 100-400mm lens. It's great
for capturing birds and with the larger sensor it crops well.

katy

May 19, 2017 at 05:44 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

Skip to my bold text if you just want my "idea" rather then the reason behind it

I don't have the GH5 nor the Olympus 75mm but might have a clue about it anyway, if nothing else it's one more thing to try.

you're saying it is slower in AF-C compared to the Noct for example, right? You're also saying that in AF-S it can fire quick burst as it should do, if I understand you correct?

If so, it leads me to think that it has something to do with AF-C which would make quite a bit of sense since Olympus and Panasonic uses two very different ways to focus, specially in AF-C.

The GH5 is built purely around contrast detect focus points, as most mirrorless cameras were a couple of years ago until some started adding phase detect points on sensor, same type of focusing system as DSLR have been using since... forever

Olympus lenses are designed to focus with both contrast and phase detect points but their recent cameras are built purely for tracking focus if/when phase detect points are used.

Panasonic still uses contrast detect only but their tracking AF is based on their own, quite revolutionary and "still-be-to-be-seen-how-good-it-truly-works-now-and-in-the-future" depth from defocus system.

Depth from defocus uses each lenses very own characteristics to determine where the focus is. This is based on out of focus areas rather then in focus areas. The lenses out of focus characteristics are programed in the camera which enables the camera to understand wether the lens is focused infront of or behind the subject and then readjust as needed. According to Panasonic this works very well in AF-C (as that is its main purpose and the normal contrast detect is wicked fast anyway).

Herein lies problem with Olympus lenses though, which is a reason I am having a very hard time deciding between the E-M1.2 and the GH5 for the future. This system only works with lenses that have been profiled, calibrated and tested with out of focus areas and currently Panasonic only do this to their own lenses. If they profiled Olympus lenses as well I would have a much easier time deciding on the GH5. When you have an Olympus lens on that camera, it will revert back to contrast detect focus only which FINALLY leads me to what I think might be wrong...

Have you checked if the camera is set to release priority or focus priority on continues AF mode? It sounds as if though the camera is set to fire only when it knows it is in focus which means that when paired to an Olympus lens, it will be much slower since it doesn't use depth from defocus (DFD btw) and thus hunts more.

Check the setting and see if I am on to something. If not, then I am really out of ideas, this was a one shot hit and miss kind of idea

Hope it helps!

Btw, how do you find the GH5 compares to the Olympus cameras? If I recall correct, you used Oly before?

May 20, 2017 at 03:22 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

Camera was set to 'balanced', so will try it again with it set to release and see if that speeds things up.

With regards to how it compares to Olympus....well, its different, and to some degree I think its about what your used to. Panny's as a whole do seem to lock onto focus quicker, especially in low light. Not sure if its more accurate, but just snappier with Panny glass.

Panny does the touchscreen way, allowing you to do things like touch and scroll in the menu's and with menu's that are far more logical overall.

IBIS is good, but EM1 mkII seems maybe a stop better, letting me do 1 second + easily, while the GH5 gets around 0.5 seconds. Either are crazy good though

The little joystick is a wonderful additional, and likely something every brand is all going to have. Just plain works

GH5 is a little bigger/beefier than the EM1 mkII, though I'd say the EM1 mkII is maybe a little more weatherproof, both are top notch build.

Colors OOC are a little different, neither is better per say, just different

GH5 has better looking video, and more options for video settings. No surprise there

Overall not a world of difference and both are very good. If you have a lot of panny glass, I'd go GH5, and since I have the 100-400, Nocticron etc, its the way I went. If I had more Olympus glass, would certainly be the EM1 mkII

Sadly though, I think the GH5 is going to have to go back, because I'm getting a purple/blue vertical line down the right side of every image. Seems to be some sort of sensor fault.

100% view shows its actually a dashed line, a few pixels wide, and the higher the ISO, the more visible it becomes.

See attached sample image and then a 100% crop layer over the top. I think its something sensor related, though never encounter such an issue with any camera before.

Guess I know what B&H had an open box return......

May 21, 2017 at 03:16 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

I saw that photo in your other thread as well @millsart really sorry to hear that, hope the return works as it should!

Thanks for the writeup about the cameras as well! You kind of confirm my expectations about the two cameras. The joystick is something I really want as well as the new and improved viewfinder. I only have the PL 25 1.4 in terms of Panasonic glass, other then that I have two Oly PRO zooms and the tiny 45mm F1.8 so quite heavily invested in glass although not as much as some others. Want the PL 42,5 1.2 but am holding on to see if Oly releases another 45mm in their PRO range similar to the 25 1.2.

The GH5 still looks very interesting though!

Let me know if you get the chance to try the burst rate before you send it back, would be interesting to know!

/Rasmus

May 23, 2017 at 06:21 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

I tried changing it to "release" for the AF-C and it made zero difference, still seems about 6-ish FPS. On AF-S it can do 11 FPS just fine, same as the Panasonic glass, but AF-C seems to really slow things down a bit.

Its a usable frame rate, so its not like its bog slow, but still quite odd how different it is across the brands. Or well, I should says lenses I guess, since its the only Olympus glass I've got so maybe something else might work faster ?

I don't have any real old Panasonics to compare with either, so maybe something like the 25 1.4 can't keep up either ?

B&H did send me a return shipping label though for a refund, which is good. Though, I now have to decide if I want to pay the full price for a new camera......

May 23, 2017 at 01:59 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

That is soooo weird!

I wonder if other people experience the same thing?

Good thing they will give you a refund! How much more will a brand new be?

May 23, 2017 at 02:32 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

@millsart I found this review on bhphotovideo's page under reviews of the GH5.

4/3/2017 Great Camera but... By robert I was super excited, camera arrived, started shooting and then...
A Vertical line of pixels died after the first day of use and i had to send it out to Panasonic for repair. The battery doesn't last as long as the GH4 and gets kind of hot really fast. The 10bit codecs didn't display on 8bit monitors and editing software. Only The audio would play with a green or black image.I was able to preview the 10 bit video in adobe bridge though. The 8bit codec worked fine. Low light performance is the same as the
...Show more

Sounds a lot like your camera, maybe it even is your camera?

May 23, 2017 at 09:36 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

Very interesting indeed.....

Exactly what I'm seeing on mine, which makes me wonder if the reviewer in question really did send it in for repair, or if they simply returned it back to B&H.

On one hand it would be bad if B&H is putting damaged returns up for sale used, but if this reviewer did keep his/her camera, it would mean that there is seemingly a batch of cameras purchased from B&H that are all likely to start having sensor defects

May 23, 2017 at 09:45 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

Exactly my idea about it millsart, either they sent out that same camera to you. Or there is more then one with that problem. Perhaps waiting a couple of months before you pull the trigger might be the way to go. Unless you are in dire need of the camera.

May 25, 2017 at 01:51 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

Well mine is in route back to them so it will be curious to see if they post an "OB" or condition "10" Gh5 on their site in a couple days..........

I put a note with the box stating the issue, so hopefully whoever processes returns won't just check for included accessories and toss it in the resale heap

Having just picked up a Sony RX100 mk V, used (fingers crossed) I'm probably going to see how that fares for 4k video and slow motion. Certainly not as full featured, has a record time limit, lesser IBIS, etc, but still full sensor width 5k downsampled to 4k which looks pretty good, and can do 120 fps HD, 240 fps near HD etc, up to a not super usable 960 fps. Build in ND filter is pretty handy too

I've just had the camera for a day, but, I am blown away by the AF-C with the pdaf system. It can track at 24 fps for stills, which is crazy, and for video tracking its just everything we all wished the GH5 could of been.

Basically its near instant AF, you can focus a face, then pan to the background and it snaps right into the focus, pan back the face and it snaps back into focus. GH5 on the other hand would take about 10-15 seconds to refocus, and about 5 seconds before it even tried to refocus, making it rather unusable for AF-C.

Sadly the RX100 doesn't have a touch screen though so not the tool for focus pulls etc, which the GH5 is great at.

RX100 V seems stellar for vlogging and similar non-pro video needs, basically point and shoot video, with no worries over focus, auto ND kicking in, and 4k. High end home movies if you will.....

May 25, 2017 at 04:49 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GH5, slower burst rate with Olympus glass in AF-C ??

The RX100 series has been pretty damn good from the beginning if I remember correct. It surely is a great camera but for the price I can get more needed lenses for m43.

Then again, the RX100 will always be easier to put in a pocket and bring along!

May 27, 2017 at 12:54 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.