New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

retrofocus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

These are all very good suggestions probably, but the adapter choices here also sound a bit like an arrangement of fancy sports cars neglecting well working more "standard" cars. I am using my Fotasy M/E-mount adapter now since years on all kind on M lenses and never felt the need to adjust infinity focus (?) or having issues with internal light reflections (I suspect the adapter baffles mentioned earlier are made for this purpose?). For close focus, I am using simple tubes....

May 22, 2017 at 11:36 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

adamdewilde wrote:
My assumptions of quality loss with the Novoflex and the 35FLE were that it was the sensor and not the adapter. I'm curious now if I should run some tests... Ahhh but then I'd have to buy another 35FLE to replace the one I sold off

Though Charles suggestion to use a helicoid adapter (like the VM-E which is good) might allow for you to fine tune for best results. However, as someone who's used anamorphic lenses, focusing twice can get really annoying very quickly.

Adam, you don't need to focus twice with the helicoid adapters, you can actually just adjust the flange distance so that it is spot on and the lens works better. I am not sure the VM-E does this, but the Hawk's does for sure.

May 22, 2017 at 11:43 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

retrofocus wrote:
These are all very good suggestions probably, but the adapter choices here also sound a bit like an arrangement of fancy sports cars neglecting well working more "standard" cars. I am using my Fotasy M/E-mount adapter now since years on all kind on M lenses and never felt the need to adjust infinity focus (?) or having issues with internal light reflections (I suspect the adapter baffles mentioned earlier are made for this purpose?). For close focus, I am using simple tubes....

For floating element design, the lens is designed for certain flange distance, most adapter has shallower depth to ensure infinity focus, but lens like 50mm Summilux ASPH, 75mm Summicron or 35mm Summilux FLE will not perform as their best at this situation. Most old design Leica M lens (50 rigid, 90cron) or short tele lens (135) will not affect as much.

Having exact the same flange distance as Leica M is a good starting point for using Leica Lens on Sony camera even some lens still have performance hit because of different filter pack in design.

May 22, 2017 at 05:17 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

zhangyue wrote:
For floating element design, the lens is designed for certain flange distance, most adapter has shallower depth to ensure infinity focus, but lens like 50mm Summilux ASPH, 75mm Summicron or 35mm Summilux FLE will not perform as their best at this situation. Most old design Leica M lens (50 rigid, 90cron) or short tele lens (135) will not affect as much.

Having exact the same flange distance as Leica M is a good starting point for using Leica Lens on Sony camera even some lens still have performance hit because of different filter pack in design.

I understand this, but from a practical point of view it shouldn't matter much. I see some slight deviations regarding the focus scale for infinity for example when using my M lenses with the Fotasy adapter. So far it did not affect me at all since I always use either focus peaking or focus magnification to ensure focus within my A7R and didn't care about the focusing scale on the lens which might see a very slight shift compared to being mounted on a M camera. It would be an issue if the shift is so far off that an infinity focus is no longer possible with a M lens on my A7R - but this never happened so far. So isn't this whole flange distance calibration more of an academic value than in practical terms?

May 22, 2017 at 05:34 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

Steve Spencer wrote:
Adam, you don't need to focus twice with the helicoid adapters, you can actually just adjust the flange distance so that it is spot on and the lens works better. I am not sure the VM-E does this, but the Hawk's does for sure.

The VM-E does not have that capability, but it is better in terms of construction and consistency of fit on the lens mount. I base this judgment on the two copies of each adapter that I own.

Rob

May 22, 2017 at 06:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

retrofocus wrote:
I understand this, but from a practical point of view it shouldn't matter much. I see some slight deviations regarding the focus scale for infinity for example when using my M lenses with the Fotasy adapter. So far it did not affect me at all since I always use either focus peaking or focus magnification to ensure focus within my A7R and didn't care about the focusing scale on the lens which might see a very slight shift compared to being mounted on a M camera. It would be an issue if the shift is so far off that an
...Show more

Possibly, I can't find any information (with images) on this topic online anymore. I was involved initially a few years back on this topic here, at that time, one of the conclusion about the performance hit on 50lux ASPH was due to floating element design is picky on the flange distance which is making sense as the lens has complicate focusing action moving groups separately that calculated based on fixed flange distance.

somehow, all my Leica M lens (if it has no focus issue) have correct infinity mark on M body over the years no matter is new or old. That was very different than ZF or OTUS SLR lens I have on Nikon.

The reason for this adapter talk is not aiming for easy or reliable focusing but performance. I will report back once I got the camera and adapter AND TIME

May 22, 2017 at 07:02 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

Steve Spencer wrote:

Yes I know, I own one. I might have been a bit confusing in my post, but as zhangyue pointed out, FLE designs are a bit tricky when it comes to helicoid adapters. It's best to have the lens mounted at a distance as close to the original intended flange distance as possible.
But like what Charles mentioned, if you find yourself needing to focus at a certain position say closer than the intended .7m or if your adapter cannot achieve the correctly intended flange distance then you're going to find yourself having to adjust two points of focus. Which can get annoying if you're looking for the most optimal combination between the adapter and the lens.

I don't have a problem with my fixed Novoflex adapter, but to be honest I've not done enough comparisons between it and the VM-E to really tell if the 35FLE was underperforming with the Novoflex. I was always under the impression it was my Sony cams and not my adapter.

May 23, 2017 at 11:01 AM
seanj
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

Voigtlander VM-E . . . It may be more expensive, but there's no such thing as a free lunch (as they say at LensRentals).

May 23, 2017 at 07:46 PM
hsiunghsiung
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

Does the Tech Art Adapter have any gaps or might easily let in dust?
In the end, I am deciding between TechArt Pro adapter and VM-E adapter (for built quality)

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:21 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

zhangyue wrote:
Possibly, I can't find any information (with images) on this topic online anymore. I was involved initially a few years back on this topic here, at that time, one of the conclusion about the performance hit on 50lux ASPH was due to floating element design is picky on the flange distance which is making sense as the lens has complicate focusing action moving groups separately that calculated based on fixed flange distance.

somehow, all my Leica M lens (if it has no focus issue) have correct infinity mark on M body over the years no matter is new or old.
...Show more

WOW, I forget about this thread. In the end, I bought Hawk and also shimmered my Voigtlander so I have both with correct flange distance. During trip, I just put them as lens cap on my m lens since I use the lens on both Sony and Leica.

Voigtlander has slightly better build quality but at the same time is also heavier.
Tested with M lens, for 50lux, with correct flange distance, I need f8 to be able to get good corner on A7RII, 21SEM maybe f11, but even at that aperture, it is not as good as Leica M at f4. Voigtlander 15mm seems perform fine on A7RII.
Since I decide go with D850 after in field with a7RII, I sold my a7RII and lenses and hawk adapter, only Voigtlander is still offer for sale.

BTW, both of them have light leakage if you shoot long exposure. Put some fabric around mount solve it. I also able to see compressed RAW effect at certain condition. (even with that, pick between it and huge raw file, I chose compress raw)

Adapter WA lens is also/always tricky on Sony, I have seen report that even adapter Canon or Nikon lens, the performance drop on Sony. This also I have experience with Nikon 14-24, but i am not sure I was with correct flange distance.

Found it:
Here is sigma 14mm on Canon 5dsr, Sony. you can see the difference.

Sigma on a7RII and MC-11

Sigma on 5dsR

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password