New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

My A7RII is on its way to me. I plan to use it along with Leica M for travelling. My understanding is for certain lens (with FLE), having correct flange distance is critical. I don't need lens to perform its best as on M camera, but it would be nice I can squeeze more performance for given setup. (for f8, f11 shooting)

My question is which one allow me adjust flange distance and also I can lock the position. OR if there is no lock, what is your experience on those close focus adapter like leicist, or Voigtlander, or any ebay adapter, are they well designed that will not be easily bump to change the flange position?

Thanks.

May 19, 2017 at 05:23 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

Fotasy M/E adapter for about $10. Well made, and I am using it now since 3 years without issues and on Leica and CV 12/21/35/50/90 mm M-mount lenses on my A7R. Use cheap extension tubes between camera mount and this adapter if close focus if needed. No need to buy an adapter for MF lenses for $$$.

Yes, it is ironic to use a $10 adapter with a >$1000 lens, but it works well even at fast lens apertures .

May 19, 2017 at 06:15 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

Depends on what you mean by "allow." Most of them can be taken apart and shimmed if they're too short. If they're too long, then best to return it and move on.

The Hawk's Factory helicoid allows for user adjustment.

May 19, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Parariss
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

Hawks

May 19, 2017 at 06:45 PM
gyoung143
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

I have only had one adapter out of about a dozen that was the right thickness and that was the cheapest. All the othets have needed shimming. The helical I have is a cheap one and doesn't have a lock for the minimum, I wish I had bought the Hawks!

Gerry

May 19, 2017 at 07:35 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

I've had no problems with cheap non-helical M adapters or pretty much any other $10 non-helical adapter for any mount. Shimming most adapters to tune them for infinity is very easy with some strips of aluminum foil and 5-30 minutes of work. Really not a big deal. I avoided this for a long time, as focusing to infinity with my eyes was never hard, but I'm really glad I finally did.

I have a cheap M-E helical adapter, and it's not great. Focus feel isn't bad, and I really like the low profile M mount release as it never gets in the way of a finger like my cheap non-helical adapter's release does. I love having the close focus capability, but there are some issues:

- There's a bit of wobble when extended
- The mechanics for the helical make it very hard to shim - haven't shimmed it yet. Usually all you need to do is take off the mount ring and shim away - but on this helical, under the mount ring is the bits that make the helical work.
- There's no ability to lock with the helical fully retracted
- You can fully retract the helical, but it loosen up a bit when moving around with the camera, and pull back a bit, throwing off your infinity focus. It's fine for stopped down zone focusing or focusing when I take the photo, but it's not reliable for focusing at infinity at wide apertures, like astro and nightscapes.

Based on your camera tastes and assumed budget, get a Hawk's or the Voigtlander VM-E.

May 19, 2017 at 08:28 PM
darrellc
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

I thought the Voigtlander VM-E was much better machined than the Hawks (I think I had the n-1 version, so no idea if there's some improvement in the latest version). Definitely buy one with a helicoid to bring those long MFDs in.

May 19, 2017 at 09:00 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

darrellc wrote:
I thought the Voigtlander VM-E was much better machined than the Hawks (I think I had the n-1 version, so no idea if there's some improvement in the latest version). Definitely buy one with a helicoid to bring those long MFDs in.

In my experience, the build quality of the Voigt VM-E is superior to that of the Hawks, but the Voigt is also somewhat more expensive. I also strongly recommend an adapter with a close-focus helicoid, because rangefinder lenses tend to have rather long minimum focus distances. I find myself using that feature fairly often.

Rob

May 19, 2017 at 11:15 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

The Voigt VM-E were by far the best as I rarely had issues with tolerances or mis alignment. Every other adapter had some issues with infinity, mount too loose or tight, or not parallel to the sensor plane. I was at the point of sending my adapters to a camera lab to check the alignment on the bench and then re machining if necessary.

May 19, 2017 at 11:39 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

I have settled on the Voigtlander VM-E after going through a couple others. It's perfectly aligned unlike the cheaper ones that had a slight tilt. It's hard stop is right at infinity for my ZM 25/2.8 and 35/2.8, as well as my Voigt 35/1.2, and my ZM 50/1.5 can go past infinity. There is no wobble at all when the helicoid is extended. The lenses lock on easily, but with no play. The lens release tab is low profile enough to not bother my finger while shooting. I wouldn't trade it for any other adapter on the market.

May 20, 2017 at 12:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

genji
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

Another vote for the Voigtlander VM-E.

May 20, 2017 at 12:28 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

I appreciate all the replies. Very helpful.

I have the voigtlander regular adapter. I will check if it has correct infinity mark for my Leica m glass. I had impression that all adapter have slightly shallower depth to guarantee the infinity focusing. If it works for my 50lux and 21SEM, I will just stay with it.

I understand that it would be nice to have short MFD but My intention is really just want optimized the lens performance for given setup.

If it turns out my regular adapter doesn't have correct infinity mark with lens say 50lux ASPH I will try to get the voigtlander close focus one.

May 20, 2017 at 12:37 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

Late to the party... But for FIXED M shooting I use a Novoflex adapter (best quality I've found). And for "macro" shooting a Voigtlander adapter and I had a techart pro for a week (borrowed from a friend) and now I'm considering getting one. Especially if the A9 focusing improves the Techart's already decent performance.

I also have a A7rII, but thinking of selling it and the A7sII pending if I end up keeping the A9 or not.

May 20, 2017 at 02:36 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

I used Hawks

May 20, 2017 at 03:19 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

adamdewilde wrote:
Late to the party... But for FIXED M shooting I use a Novoflex adapter (best quality I've found). And for "macro" shooting a Voigtlander adapter and I had a techart pro for a week (borrowed from a friend) and now I'm considering getting one. Especially if the A9 focusing improves the Techart's already decent performance.

I also have a A7rII, but thinking of selling it and the A7sII pending if I end up keeping the A9 or not.

Thanks Adam. My main concern was not the quality of the adapter itself but performance of M lens with certain adapter.

I have Nikon F to Leica M Novoflex adapter, I agree with the quality. I might just get the novoflex F to NEX adapter as well later.

For M lens with floating element used on Sony, flange distance has to be the same to get decent performance which is already poorer compare to M due to Sony's thick filter pack.

I will wait A7RII arrive and report back once I have some first hand results.

May 20, 2017 at 03:21 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

zhangyue wrote:
Thanks Adam. My main concern was not the quality of the adapter itself but performance of M lens with certain adapter.

I have Nikon F to Leica M Novoflex adapter, I agree with the quality. I might just get the novoflex F to NEX adapter as well later.

For M lens with floating element used on Sony, flange distance has to be the same to get decent performance which is already poorer compare to M due to Sony's thick filter pack.

You will need to use one with close focus adaption as you can then adjust the floating element as with the 35 FLE

May 20, 2017 at 03:31 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

darrellc wrote:

I absolutely love my VM-E and often use it in preference over the latest TechArt. I then bought about 5 of the Leicist adapters (from TechArt) for different mounts (I bought one, loved it, good tight fit with no play, but not too tight, then went back for 4 more. All of them, for different mounts, were the same, tight with no play).

The VM-E isn't cheap but the ability to greatly reduce the MFD is a great feature to have (and as Charles indicates above, maybe even a necessity for you - I have never used a FLE so wouldn't know). As is the feel and confidence in such a beautifully machined adapter. I previously had one of the early TechArt adapters and didn't have any problem at all selling it for a good price when the time came.

May 21, 2017 at 09:19 AM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

I've had 5 different M-E adapters. My favorites now are Rayqual LM-SαE (v2 for FF), very precise with hard inifinity with most of my M and LTM lenses and very light (43g without caps) and well made, great internal baffles. It doesn't have any helicoid for close focus. For close focusing and AF I now prefer TAP (LM-EA7) (134g without caps), as it makes close focusing seamless. (With TAP there's no hard infinity for manual focusing as it allows going well beyond.)

I also have Voigtländer VM-E close focus adapter (120g without caps), but it's not as precise with infinity as the Rayqual (have to pull back a little with almost all of my lenses), and it has a bit stiff helicoid action so I don't really enjoy using it for close focus as much. I also don't like the relatively heavy weight of this adapter especially with my smallest and lightest RF lenses (TAP is even heavier but it does bring in AF). I also have Shoten L.M-S.E close focus adapter (6mm helicoid) (88g without caps), but I don't think it's as high quality as the VM-E overall. It has much lighter helicoid action though. I also used to have the original Voigtländer adapter that was for APS-C e-mount before A7 series, it had some issue with not being optimized for FF (some hard vignetting issues with some combinations) so later I sold it. It wasn't precise with hard infinity either (about the same as my VM-E close focus adapter in that regard).

None of these adapters that I've had have adjustable infinity, although it can kind of be adjusted with the VM-E adapter by leaving the helicoid in suitable focus-position closer than hard infinity (at least my adapter is fairly stiff and the helicoid will stay in set position pretty reliably even without a way to lock it there).

I have 10 M or LTM mount lenses in total now including several Voigtländer, 3 Minolta M-Rokkor, 1 Konica M-Hexanon, 1 Canon LTM, 1 MS-Optical, used to have several more that I've sold). The hard infinity is not exactly the same across all of them, but mostly they are pretty consistent and the ones that were off more were already sold for other reasons. None of my lenses are FLE.

Edited on May 21, 2017 at 10:59 AM · View previous versions

May 21, 2017 at 10:16 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

I think the Hawks version 5 is the best of these.

It has internal baffles, which no others but the Rayqual do.
It has a helicoid for close focus
It has adjustable infinity.

The last is not just convenient; it leads to better performance with a lens with CRC/FLE if you adjust infinity for the lens' hard stop.

The Hawks helicoid does not have the lovely buttery feel of the Yeenon or the Voigtlander; but that's probably a result of being so much lighter - it's made of precisely machined mg/al alloy which is light and strong, but doesn't seem to have a smooth a feel as lurbricated brass.

May 21, 2017 at 10:37 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which adapter is best for Leica M to Sony Alpha

zhangyue wrote:

My assumptions of quality loss with the Novoflex and the 35FLE were that it was the sensor and not the adapter. I'm curious now if I should run some tests... Ahhh but then I'd have to buy another 35FLE to replace the one I sold off

Though Charles suggestion to use a helicoid adapter (like the VM-E which is good) might allow for you to fine tune for best results. However, as someone who's used anamorphic lenses, focusing twice can get really annoying very quickly.

May 22, 2017 at 10:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password