Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

Valvicphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

Hey Guys.

I am going to PhotoPlus in NYC this October, and I am going up a few days early to grab some fall color. I am flying into LaGuardia and renting a car to drive upstate to grab some fall color.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where is a must hit place?

Vito

May 19, 2017 at 11:37 AM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

Lots of places really. Lake Placid, Lake George, Saratoga Springs, Letchworth State Park, Ithaca and Watkins Glen, Hudson Valley, etc, etc.

May 19, 2017 at 01:15 PM
chrismer

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

I'd add Cooperstown, Old Forge, Ausable Chasm and Tupper Lake to stanparker's list. Do your planning now by gathering web sites that track fall foliage in upstate and central New York. Summer and early fall weather can be a huge factor in when peak season hits there - the show can either be brilliant or mildly dull because of it. Would also suggest gathering I Love NY guides for the Capital, Adirondack, and Central Leatherstocking regions so you can see the many sites along the way. There are so many photo opportunities that you can find in small towns, eg stone houses, covered bridges, pristine lakes, tucked away waterfalls, apple orchards etc, that you'll need to narrow down what you want to shoot. Former CNY'er, so if you need any other tips, feel free to ask.

May 20, 2017 at 07:57 AM
hudsonhites

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

Hi Vito

Photoplus doesn't take place until October 25th this year which is usually late for fall color in upstate New York.

You might want to consider Harriman State Park because it's closer to NYC the colors change later in October than farther upstate

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/145

May 21, 2017 at 06:07 PM
Valvicphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

Thanks for the suggestion . I will look at that. Is there some sort of app, or website that tracks color?

vito

May 21, 2017 at 06:38 PM
hudsonhites

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

Here's a website https://www.iloveny.com/things-to-do/fall/foliage-report/ where you can start checking in mid September.

Also The Weather Channel app for iOS or android will track fall foliage colors when the season begins.

Typical if we have a dry summer in New York the trees will change colors earlier.

May 22, 2017 at 06:32 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

I did fall road trip on east coast last year lot of upstate NY and into Canada. My recommendation would be Hudson Valley

May 22, 2017 at 10:06 AM
robn70
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

The Bear Mountain area and 7 lakes Parkway in the Lower Hudson Valley area is pretty scenic and a short drive from the city. West Poit also has some good views of the Hudson River.

Jun 06, 2017 at 11:36 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

Bear Mountain gets REAL crazy. Last year I could not even enter because the road got closed due to over crowding.

Jun 08, 2017 at 10:00 AM
Bob Kane
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

Valvicphoto wrote:
Hey Guys.

I am going to PhotoPlus in NYC this October, and I am going up a few days early to grab some fall color. I am flying into LaGuardia and renting a car to drive upstate to grab some fall color.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where is a must hit place?

Vito

Watkins Glen. It's maybe three hours from NYC but parts of NY17 have wonderful scenery, too.

Jun 09, 2017 at 04:51 PM
SwampYankee

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

A bit late in the year for peak color but you never know. I'd try Poughkeepsie and walk over this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkway_over_the_Hudson. Drive down to Cold Spring Harbor for some outstanding scenery. Will you be hanging around NYC a bit? If so buy this : https://www.jamesmaherphotography.com/ny-photographers-guide/ half a chance the author is speaking or running a tour. If you do end up driveing upstate i neh Cold Spring Area this is a special treat https://www.baus.org/en/

Jul 03, 2017 at 12:16 PM
Ischgl99
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

This map will give you an idea of what the colors typically are during leaf peeking season in CT, which is just east of the Hudson Valley.

http://www.depdata.ct.gov/forestry/foliage/foliagemap.htm

If you look on the county websites for Putnam, Dutchess and Ulster Counties you will find some suggested routes on their website as well as other points of interest. There are a number of nice waterfalls in the area as well you might be interested in adding to your itinerary. Kaaterskill Falls is supposed to be very nice, I haven't made it there yet, but plan on taking the kids this summer.

Jul 04, 2017 at 08:26 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

What hudsonsidtes said. Too late for color upstate.

But, good color downstate and in PA/NJ.

Jul 12, 2017 at 05:47 PM
Don George
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

I'm originally from Upstate around the Ithaca area. We travel back to see family each year in October. We usually arrive around 10/06 and if its a good year the color is just peaking and last for about a week. Of course this varies depending on conditions. The color in the area at the time you plan on being there will be over. As suggested I would stay further South.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:20 AM
GuyFoto

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Upstate New York for Fall color help!

I would drive west into Pennsylvania. From the Delaware Water Gap to Ricketts Glen, you will find lots of areas that still might have some color late in October. Last year most of them peaked just about the time you are thinking about going, but remember, color varies year by year both in intensity and timing.

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:40 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.