FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Couples session flow

ahaug
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Couples session flow

Maybe a strange question. I know that each venue, weather, couple are different but ... seems like I always start my couples sessions with a walking sequence to get them doing something familiar and to relax into the shoot. I then get them to get close and do my together poses and finish with dips, spins, lifts and depth of field shots. I'm wondering if you have a certain flow to your couples sessions that you like and use regularly? What do you start with and how do you flow through your posing through a typical shoot?

May 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Couples session flow

I always start with a few basic grip and grins and then a few detail shots. At that point we've been talking long enough that's it's not awkward and I can move on to more interesting things.

May 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Couples session flow

It's really more so about communication and comfort... comfort in public, with each other, and with me. I always start my sessions very nonchalant by getting them to just talk about how they met and tell me funny stories. I don't even bring the gear out for at least 20-30 minutes. My goal is to just get them to accept me as a friend first. During this part of the meetup, I always ask a few standard questions towards the end like, what were their fav pics on my site, etc. I watch the guy's reaction, and make him give me an answer as well. This really gives me some huge clues to their personality as a couple.

Once I see the guy is loosened up (usually the last one), then we start walking, talking & shooting. I play it off like I'm just getting my gear setup and stuff, when I'm really already in the session. (I'm way past the needing to set gear up phase lol) Those images are some of the best because they don't think so much about it. This is how I really capture the true "them" in a very normal way.

Since I live in a tourist town, we just walk around and I analyze how they are interacting. Once I see how they are with each other, it guides me where to go and what to do to let them be themselves in the best surroundings. We have private spots if they seem shy, and we have wide open spots if they love the attention. Almost every time, they let me know what shots they want to duplicate from my port. I always incorporate it into the walk, and that's the images I show them to push the shoot to the next level.

It pains me to see photographers that are so rigid with their clients. I see that a lot where I am because we all come downtown to shoot... and it's a SMALL town. There are at least a half dozen of us shooting just on weekdays in a five-block square radius. Those photogs treating their clients like robots make me want to kick fluffy bunnies.

Believe it or not, making the session seem far more like time spent between friends is the best route. Those are always the sessions that come out the best.

May 19, 2017 at 05:22 PM
ahaug
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Couples session flow

Thanks Amonline. I actually was meaning on the wedding day when you may only have 30 minutes and you may have never shot with the couple before. I end up running out of time before I feel like I am satisfied with the number of different images. I want to have a quicker and more efficient flow for shorter sessions on the wedding day.

May 20, 2017 at 07:52 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Couples session flow

I start with some basic shots using a near by environmental element thats useable. I let them know that the first 5-10 minutes is a warm up for me and warm up for them. I ask if they have anything specific they want out of the shoot, and inform them they can interject at any time to change style and flow if they are not feeling it. I throw in some bad jokes and ask about their personal interests while I'm scanning the environment for good light and good spots for some interesting compositions. As far as posing some couples need more some need less, I start out with just having them hang out while I'm a little bit away pretending to adjust my camera. I'm somewhat socially awkward but I can take a stage if I need to and mostly conduct the shoot as part friend part professional part village idiot. I'm not a social butterfly and its rare for me to want to add present relationships so I don't try to pretend to be their bestie, but I keep it light and let them relax as they feel trust and confidence while I shoot. A lot of that is giving small guidance here and there to both help the ladies look their best and it lets them think I am paying attention to detail so their less flattering parts are taken care of. Often times as I move through the shoot its 99% improv. I go with what make sense to me given the couples energy, the environmental palate and the light. Many times during a shoot everything comes together and I get this feeling in my body that literally makes me gasp when I've love what I am getting. Like I literally make an obnoxious sound that is my breath being taken away. I don't do it consciously, and couples get really excited when they hear me do it, but I'm always worried I sound obnoxious after the fact. I think in part because of imposter syndrome I never think my work is any good, and when I surprise myself with my actual abilities Its stuns me even after ten years.

Some couples are awkward, have bad wardrobes, have generic basic personalities and my work doesnt shine there. Others probably can get more out of it, but I seek to amplify and express what a couple inspires in me. If the energy is sugarless vanilla wafers then I fall back to basics.

The weirdest thing, the shoots that I think I do most poorly I receive the most compliments. Always.

My favorite couples are the ones who are perhaps not the most attractive by mainstream standards but who have sunshine in their hearts. I can make these people look amazing, because they are amazing.

My least favorite couples are ones who have been complimented on their looks their whole lives. Their personal image becomes a part of their self worth and there fore are the hardest to please. I could make picture for them that would be stunning and some body dysmorphia will creep up. Always with the pretty ones.

May 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Couples session flow

It depends entirely on the couple. With fit and not overweight couples I will have the fellow pick up his bride to be and spin around. It loosens them up nearly instantly. Whatever works to get them not thinking about the camera and being apprehensive about the pictures.

I usually have them select a favorite location that has special meaning for them as that puts their minds into the memories and sets the mood.

I shoot the last two hours before sunset and the first hour is primarily spent getting them used to posing and standing together and relaxing in front of the camera and the second hour is when I get most of the keepers.

May 23, 2017 at 06:21 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Couples session flow

I hand out hard liquor to begin with.

May 24, 2017 at 12:39 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.