New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · DSLR Video help for a long time still shooter

Bradphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DSLR Video help for a long time still shooter

Okay, so I'm on my... lets see... 6th camera with video capabilities and I've literally never used it or explored it with any of them.

Fast forward to today, and a very good friend of mine has asked me to video his stand-up sets Saturday night for him to use for submissions into a large upcoming festival. I want to help him out but I'm just completely ignorant on settings for this thing when it comes to video.

I literally just got back into Canon (shot Canon for 10+ years then played manufacturer roulette for a year and decided my heart was still here with this system) after selling off all my M43 stuff and just got a 6D, and the only lens I have left from my previous time with this system is my trusty 50 1.8 for now. That should be fine for this setting (low light and all), but its the in-camera stuff I'm freaking about a little.

The camera will just be set up on a tripod and pre-focused so I shouldnt have to worry too much about tracking him as long as he stays moderately still.

Also, I have a Zoom H5 that I use for podcasting that I'm going to be using for the audio, so at least I have a good headstart on the audio sounding much better than the onboard mic.

I'm definitely going to do more in-depth research when I get home this evening, but was just hoping you guys can give a couple of pointers in the mean time to get me going the right direction, as far as shutter speed/aperture settings and whatnot. I know there is some rule about keeping the shutter speed at twice the framerate or something like that... so those are the pointers I'm thinking about.

Couple of specific questions I have as well:

1) How much of a 64GB memory card should I expect to get eaten up with a 10 minute runtime, possibly two sets of 10 mins.
2) What kind of file will this thing spit out? Is it a file that I can just then send to him afterward that he can just open and play, or will it need some kind of conversion to make it a file that he can just then upload to youtube or wherever he plans to use it?
3) Being that I'm using the Zoom for the audio, should I get with the sound guy and see if there is any way to record the audio straight off of the board into the Zoom, or should I just use the cross mics to record the whole room? I know with standup having crowd reactions is huge so I suppose just using the H5 mic will probably be the best option here. That would also keep me from having to sync it later as well. I don't have any video editors (although I'm sure Windows 10 has something I can use if necessary) so I'm not too up to speed on what it would take to sync the separate audio file if I recorded straight out of the board.

I'm sure there is more that I'll come up with down the road, but these are the couple of things on the top of my head that I'm not clear on.

Thanks in advance!

May 18, 2017 at 01:27 PM
Mar73
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DSLR Video help for a long time still shooter

I'm surprised you did not get a response here. I was actually just doing a search to for a similar reason. Video is not my thing but I'm starting to become somewhat interested in it. I wish there was a forum dedicated to video here on FM.

May 24, 2017 at 10:05 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DSLR Video help for a long time still shooter

General tips

Locking down the shot on a tripod will work but be sure your focal length is wide enough to keep him in the frame for where he intends to walk around the stage.

White Balance is very important since compressed video is much less malleable for color adjustment than still images, so bring a WB card and be sure to measure under the exact performance lighting (lighting may change pre-performance)

Your questions

Don't have a 6D to confirm but online search reveals it has a 91Mbps data rate for the all-I encoding and 31Mbps for IBP. All-I means only intraframe compression, so faster to work with during editing but most modern machines can handle IBP just fine. 91Mbps translates to 11.37 Megabytes/second (682 Megabytes per minute). 31Mbps translates to 3.875 MB/s (232 Megabytes per minute).

The 6D generates an H.264, wrapped in a Quick Time .MOV wrapper

I'm no expert on audio but I would recommend patching the audio from the sound board for the stage mic and an ambient mic for the audience.

May 24, 2017 at 11:26 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.