New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Grand Canyon advice

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grand Canyon advice

Planning road trip to GC - my first trip there. Primarily photography and scouting. What are some of the best months to visit (photographic weather wise). I am sure some months have potential to offer better cloud possibilities than other months
Thanks

May 18, 2017 at 04:28 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grand Canyon advice

I'll tell you the months to avoid for the crowds - June, July, August. And April (Spring Break crowds). All this assuming you want to go to the South Rim popular spots. The winter months see far less visitation.

May 18, 2017 at 05:26 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grand Canyon advice

Thx for the tip Rajan. I also would prefer winter months (at least the early winter season ). Only caveat is driving conditions through various passes from Seattle.

May 18, 2017 at 05:49 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grand Canyon advice

August offers the best chances for monsoonal storms, which are utterly magnificent over the canyon. As suggested, N. Rim has far fewer people to contend with, and plenty of lovely primitive camping in the forest just outside the N.P. boundary.

October brings fall colors to Flagstaff and Sedona / Oak Creek, and the N. Rim forests.
http://wildinarizona.com/wordpress/?tag=fall-colors

Winter gets bloody cold, but the snow-on-redrock is lovely, and the hordes are long gone!

March - May is highly variable! Depending on the weather, it can be blowing snow, or a pleasant 70 and sunny.

May 18, 2017 at 10:07 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grand Canyon advice

September can offer the monsoonal clouds with a few less people than between Memorial Day and Labor Day. It's still warm though.

May 19, 2017 at 12:38 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grand Canyon advice

I think I was there in early March, and it was nice. Not crowded. Of course, you can leave a lot of people behind if you hike even a little ways. Some trails are less popular than others, too. I don't remember the names of the trails I was on, though. Didn't get to go to the river.

I really liked Hopi point.

May 19, 2017 at 04:31 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Grand Canyon advice

torroweap!

May 19, 2017 at 04:36 AM
girvincn

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Grand Canyon advice

Anyone here with experience getting to Toroweap? The sources I've found seem really precautionary (and rightfully so). Would a good-condition Subaru Outback in good shape have any problem navigating the road? Obviously flat tires, breakdowns, etc. could cause a major headache, but is the road itself so challenging that an Outback couldn't handle it? And regarding camping, do you need to purchase the permit in advance?

May 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Grand Canyon advice

Thanks all for the inputs. It feels like end Sept/Early Oct may be a good choice for me enabling me to also capture the fall colors across that general region.

May 19, 2017 at 04:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

erielake
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Grand Canyon advice

girvincn wrote:
Anyone here with experience getting to Toroweap? The sources I've found seem really precautionary (and rightfully so). Would a good-condition Subaru Outback in good shape have any problem navigating the road? Obviously flat tires, breakdowns, etc. could cause a major headache, but is the road itself so challenging that an Outback couldn't handle it? And regarding camping, do you need to purchase the permit in advance?

not sure what the clearance is on an Outback but if it's any lower than a standard SUV your gonna have trouble on the last two or three miles.....i drove a Dodge Journey SUV out there and i was scraping bottom in a few places but i did manage to get down to the picnic area at the end.....went in late Oct. when the road is fairly worn from the summer traffic so flat tires are a little less likely......

May 20, 2017 at 12:49 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Grand Canyon advice

Hopefully a toyota sequoia would be fine on that road?

May 20, 2017 at 01:55 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Grand Canyon advice

msoomro wrote:

Yes, though it is possible to cut a tire I suppose. Most of the road is fine until the last few miles when it will be slow going. Bring lots of water.

May 20, 2017 at 06:07 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Grand Canyon advice

i would think an outback would make it. As stated, the road is really good - to about the last 3 miles maybe? i got out of the vehicle and guided my buddy when we went a few years ago

May 22, 2017 at 02:35 AM
Adam Schallau
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Grand Canyon advice

If you're really curious about the road conditions, you can always get in touch with the Grand Canyon Backcountry Information Center at 928-638-7875. FYI...you do need a permit to camp at Toroweap.

As mentioned above, the month of August (and into early September) offers the best chance of getting dynamic skies as the monsoonal weather pattern brings a good chance of thunderstorms to the region. It's probably the best time of year to photograph the canyon, although winter can be awesome if you time it right and are there as a winter storm is clearing.

The park is busy during the summer, but the reality is that it's busy all the time nowadays. You can get away from the crowds by going for short hikes along the rim. I've had the canyon to myself many times for sunrise and sunset, even during the busy summer season, just by going for a 15-minute walk away from the crowds.

May 23, 2017 at 04:11 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Grand Canyon advice

Thanks Adam. I just sent you a PM as well with a quick Q.

May 23, 2017 at 04:44 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Grand Canyon advice

msoomro wrote:

Yea. Drive carefully, bring spare tires and water, and let someone know when you'll check back with them.
Enjoy!

May 23, 2017 at 09:17 PM
20DNoob
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Grand Canyon advice

I'd say allot more time if you're able.

I regret that I blew through during my visit to squeeze in as much of the SW as possible.

May 28, 2017 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password