FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Mesa Arch

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mesa Arch

I usually skip MA when in Moab, but I wanted to get one I could print at 16x45 and I wanted more of the arch than I had previously gotten at 16mm.

The first is what I plan to print on my Epson P800. The second is a more conventional crop that would print at 16x30 and probably shows better on the web.

16x45

16x30

May 18, 2017 at 11:01 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mesa Arch

Hi Ben,

Both of these look good on the web. I don't have a real preference between the two, they both display the arch nicely and you did a pretty good job with the sun flare.

Jim

May 18, 2017 at 12:29 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mesa Arch

Nice work on these, Ben. I think the 1st will make a fine print.

May 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mesa Arch

JimFox wrote:
Hi Ben,

Both of these look good on the web. I don't have a real preference between the two, they both display the arch nicely and you did a pretty good job with the sun flare.

Jim

Thanks Jim, good to hear. The 11-24 is a good lens for flare, I only had a couple spots to clone. This is a single un-blended image

Edited on May 18, 2017 at 03:49 PM · View previous versions

May 18, 2017 at 01:05 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mesa Arch

psharvic wrote:
Nice work on these, Ben. I think the 1st will make a fine print.

Thanks, I expect this print will wrap up my Mesa Arch attempts. Spent a week out there with two night on the White Rim, lots of locations calling to me.

Edited on May 18, 2017 at 01:42 PM · View previous versions

May 18, 2017 at 01:07 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mesa Arch

Two beautiful images, Ben.

May 18, 2017 at 01:32 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mesa Arch

Ben, both are excellent shots and would make nice prints. Can you print on canvas? I get most of my printing these days on canvas.

May 18, 2017 at 01:42 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mesa Arch

These are nice Ben.
I like both.

David

May 18, 2017 at 01:53 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mesa Arch

stanparker wrote:
Ben, both are excellent shots and would make nice prints. Can you print on canvas? I get most of my printing these days on canvas.

Thanks Stan, I probably could, but I am set up for Fine Art and my wife does not like canvas.

May 18, 2017 at 02:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mesa Arch

Thanks David and Fred

May 18, 2017 at 02:25 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mesa Arch

Very nice MA image here, Ben.
Are these two from the same shot with two different crops?

May 18, 2017 at 02:36 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mesa Arch

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Very nice MA image here, Ben.
Are these two from the same shot with two different crops?

Yes identical image, different crop.

May 18, 2017 at 02:53 PM
salamander1

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mesa Arch

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks Jim, good to hear. The 11-24 is a good lens for flare, I only had a couple spots to clone. This is a single blended image

this is a very nice, very clean, well proportioned shot indeed. the sun star is exemplary. what do you mean by "a single blended image" if you don't mind my asking?

May 18, 2017 at 03:30 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mesa Arch

salamander1 wrote:
this is a very nice, very clean, well proportioned shot indeed. the sun star is exemplary. what do you mean by "a single blended image" if you don't mind my asking?

Caught me in a typo, it should read un-blended. Spell checkers don't l;like that word. I will fix it.

Thanks for the kind words. Even though I was there over an hour before sunrise, there was 7 people in a workshop already lined up. So I had to move left of my preferred spot. But as soon as the first sun burst was finished they moved leaving me a shot at my preferred place. I also prefer the sunburst when the sun goes behind the arch as it is doing here.

May 18, 2017 at 03:48 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mesa Arch

Nice image Ben.

It seems you are constantly improving and trying...

On some other Mesa Arch photo someone said something to the effect that they were so tired of the cliche Mesa Arch photos. I can't remember when or where, just the comment. Most likely someone who has never been there. I still like iconic images a lot.

May 18, 2017 at 03:48 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mesa Arch

ckcarr wrote:
Nice image Ben.

It seems you are constantly improving and trying...

On some other Mesa Arch photo someone said something to the effect that they were so tired of the cliche Mesa Arch photos. I can't remember when or where, just the comment. Most likely someone who has never been there. I still like iconic images a lot.

Thanks Ckcarr. I was thinking of you while driving back from the Gooseberry campsite and saw some Desert Big Horns. I got a few shots but they were collard and too far away for a wall hanger. But it was fun to see.

May 18, 2017 at 03:53 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mesa Arch

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks Ckcarr. I was thinking of you while driving back from the Gooseberry campsite and saw some Desert Big Horns. I got a few shots but they were collard and too far away for a wall hanger. But it was fun to see.

Probably females? I rarely see the rams this time of year. Although you never know.
I haven't been out there for a while, spending more time up in the La Sal's.

Bighorns are luck a lot of times. I'll go out, then just wait on a rock for a couple hours. They either get curious, or calm down, but suddenly I'm surrounded by them. Although not always... They have a lot of hiding places.

May 18, 2017 at 04:02 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.