FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Red-tailed Hawk take off

Warkari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

I always had difficulty getting a good shot of a hawk taking off because I find them quite unpredictable as to which way they will take off. Sometimes they dive down and glide and sometimes they jump up. So if I keep the hawk full in the frame, I cannot successfully follow it. This is my first successful attempt.

Nikon D500 and Tamron 150-600 G2

Amit

#1.

#2.

May 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

Congradulations on tracking the takeoff. Birds take off into the wind and will turn into the wind before taking off. Now it will be a little less of a surprise

Morris

May 18, 2017 at 11:09 PM
kdacharya
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

beautifully done, Amit. wished the BG on 2nd one was cleaner.

May 19, 2017 at 01:37 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

Congrats on two sharp images here Amit, #1 is terrific.

Kirk

May 19, 2017 at 01:47 AM
Warkari
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

morris wrote:
Congradulations on tracking the takeoff. Birds take off into the wind and will turn into the wind before taking off. Now it will be a little less of a surprise

Morris

Thanks, Morris. I remembered your advice from a previous post of mine. But even with the bird turned into the wind, I have noticed that it sometimes jumps up in the air off its perch and at other times, it flies a bit below its perch to get the wind underneath its wings. If I have framed the hawk tight in my VF, I am not fast enough to follow its flight path. So I have to zoom out if I think its going to take off but now since the bird is small in the frame, i have to crop and lose quality. Wondering how others who post awesome photos manage this.

---------------------------------------------

kdacharya wrote:
beautifully done, Amit. wished the BG on 2nd one was cleaner.

Thanks, KD. I wish it was as well on both actually.

KirkB wrote:
Congrats on two sharp images here Amit, #1 is terrific.

Kirk

Thanks a lot, Kirk.

Amit

May 19, 2017 at 03:18 AM
louie champan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

Two terrific shots, very well done. Would have been nice to have a different background but can't always get what we want.

May 19, 2017 at 03:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

brian_sp
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

i would take these backgrounds any day, i hardly ever get to see a redtail let alone get a shot of one, great job on these!

May 19, 2017 at 07:00 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

nice take off Amit

May 19, 2017 at 09:07 AM
Warkari
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

louie champan wrote:
Two terrific shots, very well done. Would have been nice to have a different background but can't always get what we want.

Thanks, Louie. Agree with your comment. I took these to practice the capturing the take off when I can get close to the hawk.

brian_sp wrote:
i would take these backgrounds any day, i hardly ever get to see a redtail let alone get a shot of one, great job on these!

Thanks, Brian. Redtails are very commonplace where I live so I guess I am lucky. I am not so lucky with other raptors like kestrels, falcons, red-shouldered.

kmunroe wrote:
nice take off Amit

Kenny, thanks for the comments.

Amit

May 19, 2017 at 12:27 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

Warkari wrote:
Thanks, Morris. I remembered your advice from a previous post of mine. But even with the bird turned into the wind, I have noticed that it sometimes jumps up in the air off its perch and at other times, it flies a bit below its perch to get the wind underneath its wings. If I have framed the hawk tight in my VF, I am not fast enough to follow its flight path. So I have to zoom out if I think its going to take off but now since the bird is small in the frame, i have to
...Show more

I leave a little room for them to move into simular to leaving space in the direction there going. If i'm suprised I pull back fast and then zoom back in. It's got to become instinct or as some say muscle memory.

Morris

May 19, 2017 at 01:33 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

The trick is to leave lots of room in the frame so you can react flexibly to a high or low jump-off. Everyone knows what red-tailed hawks look like, so aiming for compositionally interesting images with fun backgrounds is the more promising strategy.

Christian

May 19, 2017 at 07:54 PM
Warkari
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Red-tailed Hawk take off

morris wrote:
I leave a little room for them to move into simular to leaving space in the direction there going. If i'm suprised I pull back fast and then zoom back in. It's got to become instinct or as some say muscle memory.

Morris

Christian H wrote:
The trick is to leave lots of room in the frame so you can react flexibly to a high or low jump-off. Everyone knows what red-tailed hawks look like, so aiming for compositionally interesting images with fun backgrounds is the more promising strategy.

Christian

Thanks for the great tips, Morris and Christian. I need to practice that.

Amit

May 19, 2017 at 10:20 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password