Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Spring is in the air!

johnpava

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spring is in the air!

I was testing a new lens (Canon EF 400 f5.6L) on my Canon 1D Mark III camera in my backyard on 5-12-17, and managed to get the attached photo. It is a bee working to get pollen from the flower of a Passion Plant. Look closely, Can you see it?

Spring is in the Air!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    EF400mm f/5.6L USM lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 18, 2017 at 12:29 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spring is in the air!

you might want to try and shade the flower of photograph it on a cloudy day as the exposure will be much easier. Those are stunning flowers

Morris

May 18, 2017 at 12:32 AM
johnpava

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spring is in the air!

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try that. My backyard also gets it share of big black bumblebees as well. I hope to capture one on this flower but I will probably wait awhile to get that shot!

May 18, 2017 at 12:38 AM
Tom In Arizona
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spring is in the air!

Hi John...

Welcome to FM, and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the weeks ahead. As Morris suggested, softer light would bring out the beautiful detail of these flowers. Also, I'm not sure if you hand-held this shot, but you may want to set up your camera on a tripod when the lighting is better. A tripod will give you a sturdier support, and since the flower isn't going anywhere, you can wait for that shot when the black bumblebee lands.

Good work.
Tom

May 18, 2017 at 02:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnpava

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spring is in the air!

I had the lens mounted on a tripod. The lens has a 11.5 feet MFD, so I felt that even with this light lens I would get too much shake with my 76 year old body. I had not planned having the bee land on the flower, so I "took the shot" without changing shutter speed and ISO. I wanted to prove to myself that this lens could be used for closeups as well as long telephoto shots. I will be testing the long telephoto capabilities of this lens with both 1.4X II and 2.0 II TC's this coming weekend. My wife and I will be spending 3 days in Yosemite and hope to get some great shots of Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite Falls (upper, middle, and lower falls), El Capitan, Half Dome, and the valley view from Tunnel View. If Glacier Point road is open, we may see great views as well as birds, deer, but it probably too early for bears. Bye-the-way, the flows in the rivers and creeks is at it's greatest in 30 years. I am really stoked about the trip!!

May 18, 2017 at 05:26 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spring is in the air!

Try using exposure bracketing on shots like that. The underexposed bracketing shot would have given better exposure for the over-exposed flower.

A 2X TC on your 400 f5.6 will give dismal results and will not auto-focus.

The 400 f5.6 is a terrible choice for close-ups, unless you are using extension tubes. The original 100-400 has better MFD, as well as IS.

May 18, 2017 at 05:49 AM
johnpava

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spring is in the air!

Thanks for the info Imagemaster! I have never used exposure bracketing, but will research and learn how. I am using a 1D Mark III body and it will allow center point autofocus at f8 (as well as 10 fps for BIF. The documentation says that the lens is compatible with both the 1.4x II and the 2.0x II TC's. I am testing the lens under real world conditions to see the effect of TC"s on my copy of this lens and how much, if any, loss in sharpness results from their use.

I have never used extension tubes, but I understand your point! I may purchase a set and experiment. Thank you for the suggestion.

I am learning each day and find it very enjoyable! This is a great forum with lots of posts.

May 18, 2017 at 06:06 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password