FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

SEO / google

dorota.long

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SEO / google

Does SEO really matter? Do people really find their wedding photographers on Google? What are your thoughts?
I just started blogging on my site but I am not crazy about writing, so I'm wondering does it even matter.

May 17, 2017 at 03:17 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SEO / google

dorota.long wrote:
Do people really find their wedding photographers on Google?

Yes, tons do.

I'd venture to guess that most search "Wedding photographers in [X]", open up tabs for the first 15 or so and inquire with a generic email that they paste. They start digging a little further with the ~10 that respond and are within their price range.

May 17, 2017 at 03:27 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SEO / google

At the moment, SEO and referral are probably neck and neck for the most popular way people find their photographer.

Professional listings (wedding wire, knot, etc) are probably a distant second, with social media being an even more distant third.

So, you either need to get a lot of referrals (previous clients, vendors, venues), or get jiggy with the website.

May 17, 2017 at 03:49 PM
dorota.long

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SEO / google

Thank you so much, that's what I thought, it's just so hard to get 'on top' with so much competition around. That's how I find any business I need so I bet it must be the way to go.
I'd probably pay someone to work on my SEO rather than ever pay weddingwire or knot... I just don't trust those subscription sites, I've heard mixed reviews

May 17, 2017 at 03:59 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SEO / google

FWIW, directory sites like WW and The Knot help your rank authority because this huge (traffic) site dealing with your main keyword (weddings) is linking to you (because you paid for it).

Sometimes they pay off in more ways than straight up inquiries through the service.

May 17, 2017 at 07:03 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SEO / google

dorota.long wrote:
Does SEO really matter? Do people really find their wedding photographers on Google?

Depends on your price point. The people that I never book are those that find me via Google.

May 17, 2017 at 07:08 PM
dorota.long

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SEO / google

MRomine wrote:
Depends on your price point. The people that I never book are those that find me via Google.

So what you are saying is the price shoppers google their wedding photographers? So, how do those who book you, find you?

May 17, 2017 at 07:13 PM
dorota.long

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SEO / google

MRomine wrote:

Your work is amazing, Mark!

May 17, 2017 at 07:15 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SEO / google

dorota.long wrote:
So what you are saying is the price shoppers google their wedding photographers? So, how do those who book you, find you?

The vast majority for me is by word of mouth. Of course you have to have in mind that I have been working in the same small market for years so I don't need to have an expensive custom made site. If you were just starting out it might be different. So on a rare occasion I will book someone from a cold Google search but not very often. Maybe one a year or one every other year. So my personal feeling about SEO and websites is not to over spend.

May 17, 2017 at 07:19 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SEO / google

And Mark brings up a great point, SEO helps more making a dent in distant desirable markets while old school relationship building is more effective in your immediate market. Most vendors know all the other local vendors and refer all the time please just leveraging past happy clients.

May 17, 2017 at 07:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SEO / google

dorota.long wrote:
I just started blogging on my site but I am not crazy about writing, so I'm wondering does it even matter.

Before going any further, I want you to re-read what you wrote earlier and notice the disconnect. Essentially you have no idea why you are spending time doing something that you don't even like doing.

So... why bother?

Are you blogging because someone said so on Creative Live? Who are you writing for and who is your target audience? When you publish your article, do you just sit back and wait for others to read it? Do you even know who reads it (or how many)?

Top wedding photographers that I follow rarely blog anymore, a few times in a year at best. Many don't blog at all. I think I know why: they are busy shooting or meeting clients. I will go even further to say that blogging by itself, the way as we know it, is dead. If you wish to spend all this time and energy blogging, you better have a method in measuring the return of investment for doing so. Blogging for the sake of blogging is foolish.

Don't forget, this also means less time pursuing other types of productive, income generating activities: meeting clients, networking or actual shooting.

If you MUST blog... at least learn to love it.

This is like saying that "I just started wedding photography but I am not crazy about weddings".

May 17, 2017 at 09:01 PM
bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SEO / google

I quit blogging a while ago because I hated it. Moved over to Good Gallery and am doing fine without it. Being that his is only my second year of shooting weddings, the word of mouth hasn't started coming around yet and expect it probably won't for a couple more years.

With that in mind, I do use Wedding Wire and The Knot. WW has pretty much sucked for me. The Knot has been a different story. I've booked several wedding through them this year, so I can't piss on it like others here can.

I do get some inquiries from Google searches, but mostly for family or senior work. That I can think of, I haven't booked a wedding from Google, but have gotten some inquiries. So, SEO isn't dead.

May 18, 2017 at 03:46 AM
dorota.long

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SEO / google

bipock wrote:
I quit blogging a while ago because I hated it. Moved over to Good Gallery and am doing fine without it. Being that his is only my second year of shooting weddings, the word of mouth hasn't started coming around yet and expect it probably won't for a couple more years.

With that in mind, I do use Wedding Wire and The Knot. WW has pretty much sucked for me. The Knot has been a different story. I've booked several wedding through them this year, so I can't piss on it like others here can.

I do get some inquiries from Google
...Show more

Thank you so much for this

Edited on Jun 02, 2017 at 02:40 AM · View previous versions

May 18, 2017 at 04:17 AM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SEO / google

Good Gallery - Worth the price? Yes, but you're going to have to put in the time and effort of tagging and captioning every image you put up there. I really like it, but spent a lot of hours getting content built.

May 18, 2017 at 04:20 AM
dorota.long

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SEO / google

That's what I already do on Squarespace, I can see it works, some of my images appear in searches first, which I was surprised to see, I'm just about to renew it too

May 18, 2017 at 04:23 AM
dorota.long

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SEO / google

bipock wrote:
Good Gallery - Worth the price? Yes, but you're going to have to put in the time and effort of tagging and captioning every image you put up there. I really like it, but spent a lot of hours getting content built.

Edited on Jun 02, 2017 at 02:41 AM · View previous versions

May 18, 2017 at 04:27 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SEO / google

The subject of Good Gallery brings up a point. Most of their most successful users have over 100,000 words of content on their site. Call it content (as they do), or call it blogging, buy Google's going to respond to words. So somebody's going to be writing a lot of stuff (sorry, content).

SEO is all about standing in the right place, acting the right way, and doing it often.

May 18, 2017 at 02:26 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SEO / google

Actually, there's only a handful that are over 100k words. A number are in the mid-50's to 60s. I'm just under 40k and will likely hit that mark in the next week.

May 18, 2017 at 04:22 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SEO / google

For someone who doesn't want to blog (create 'content' or whatever we want to call it), 40000 words is like The Bridge Over River Kwai

May 18, 2017 at 04:26 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SEO / google

Depends on your price point, market and how you target. London Wedding Photographer doesn't do too much for me as I'm out of budget of most of the brides. A good venue though or UK's Best Wedding Photographers yield far more.

May 18, 2017 at 11:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password