1       2       3              18      
       end

Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Aztatlan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #1 · p.19 #1 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Bespoked wrote:
I'm absolutely sure it matters how much you order, we just bought out 6th A7RII from the same retailer I always go to. They not only allowed me to shoot the A9 before purchase outside the store, he also is the only retailer that allowed me to borrow a Loxia and compare it to other lenses (outside the store, I took it to my office) and return it (wasn't a huge fan), Zeiss Australia said they couldn't/wouldn't loan and I'd 'have to buy it and sell it on ebay if I didn't like it'.

It's probably not their policy, I really
...Show more

Thanks. I had a look at Camera Lane; they do indeed have a 7 day return policy although I suppose it remains to be seen how generous they would be in the case of multiple returns of bad copies if that relationship did not already exist with them. I'd probably consider buying "low risk" items from them; high risk ones would be very expensive if you needed to return it multiple times (I am in Sydney.)

DD is interesting.. they used to have a fairly good return policy but scrapped it some time ago. Now it's pretty much the stock standard ACL policy, in other words, the same as anyone else. I've had mixed experiences with them - when I returned an obviously and noticeably poor sample of a lens they were extremely reluctant to help and tried to get me to accept an opened, demo model in exchange (but would provide no discount.) They had no other unopened stock. I refused this and after a bit more back-and-forth they did finally consent to a refund but I wouldn't say it was done with a smile. I don't blame the staff member - she was as helpful as could be, but seemed handcuffed by store policy and kept having to consult the manager.

I found the guys at Mainline in Crow's Nest to be extraordinarily helpful; they let me take a sample of the CV15 and CV12 outside onto the street to shoot with unaccompanied and with no form of security. Both were great samples (5th try lucky in the case of the 15, 1st try for the 12) and I bought both; unfortunately they don't stock any of the mainstream brands so are not a store I shop with often but if they carried every brand I'd probably never go anywhere else.

Jun 04, 2017 at 06:41 AM
Bespoked
• • •
p.19 #2 · p.19 #2 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

I just called my retailer, the last A7RII has a decent shutter count on it and was obviously handled by someone, so it wasn't new, they asked me to bring it in for replacement. A little annoying, I should have checked before I left the city, but no big deal.

I leave my body wit lens attached in the store when I take them camera/lens out for tests.

If you're in business (or not) and you're buying a fair bit of stock, the retailer should look after you, they really need all the business they can get and my favourite salesman makes regular decent (not great) commission on our sales, he deserves it. He also lets me know of deals and gives me some heads up if he is aware of a new item etc. He's good with a Sony (and Zeiss) rep and I get some of that info too, I look after him by not blabbing about it.

Jun 04, 2017 at 07:07 AM
Mirror

p.19 #3 · p.19 #3 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

What do you guys think about this comparison of the 16-35GM and the 16-35ZA. I simply expected more from the new GM... Bad copy, bad testing?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59655449

Jun 05, 2017 at 07:52 AM
Chris_88
• • •
p.19 #4 · p.19 #4 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

I would wait for more reviews. Copy variation may come into play with the 16-35 GM as well, but didn't this guy use a copy from a press event? I'd think that those are properly adjusted.

Granted, a good copy of the 16-35 4 is very good (esp. on the wide end), but you would think that the higher price tag and faster aperture guarantee better performance. At the very least the new GM should match the performance of the a-mount 16-35 2.8's second iteration.

Jun 05, 2017 at 11:20 AM
Justin Stone
• •
p.19 #5 · p.19 #5 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

He said his tripod broke so we should assume hand held. Assuming this is true then it would be hard to make valid comparisons. I want one of these lenses for ultimate edge to edge sharpness for hiking and travel landscape work. Whichever provides gets my money.

Mirror wrote:
What do you guys think about this comparison of the 16-35GM and the 16-35ZA. I simply expected more from the new GM... Bad copy, bad testing?

Jun 05, 2017 at 12:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #6 · p.19 #6 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Mirror wrote:

Copy variation plays a big role imo. Whenever a see a review site testing a single copy, it remains unclear if that's how a lens really performs. To believe my own results, I need to test a least at couple centered copies. I've seen 16-35/4 ZA lenses going from very soft to sharp corners. Unfortunately there's more copy variation with zooms (like 24-70 GM, 16-35/4 ZA, etc.), so unless quality control changed dramatically, the new 16-35 GM with its complicated design and more elements will likely follow this trend.

It's also hard to say from the released MTFs... The new 16-35 GM's MTF only shows 10 and 30 line pairs/mm (see image below) while the f/4 ZA shows 10, 20 and 40 lp/mm. We may have to wait for Roger (lensrentals.com) to test dozen copies of the new GM before we speculate how it performs at infinity. I pre-ordered one and will compare to my 16-35/4 ZA (which is a perfect copy) but can't guarantee my GM will be good. I hope I get lucky so I can post accurate samples comparing the two lenses.

From what I've seen, it will not be easy to beat the 16-35/4 ZA for landscapes (f/5.6 and smaller). It's well designed with lots of special elements (5 asphericals, 3 UD). Even the long end is great stopped down. I expect the GM to do very well but I would not count on it being much better than the f/4 version. We'll see.

Top (16-35/4 ZA), Bottom (16-35/2.8 GM)

Jun 05, 2017 at 12:23 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.19 #7 · p.19 #7 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

I have it pre-ordered as well . I hope I get lucky again as I did with the 24-70. Now I have the A9 I would like to test the 24-70 again for AF speed

Jun 05, 2017 at 12:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.19 #8 · p.19 #8 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

GMPhotography wrote:
I have it pre-ordered as well . I hope I get lucky again as I did with the 24-70. Now I have the A9 I would like to test the 24-70 again for AF speed

I've tested a few of your lenses and you are indeed a very lucky Guy!

Jun 05, 2017 at 04:21 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.19 #9 · p.19 #9 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

They named the GM line of lenses after him and therefore only send him the best copy.

Jun 05, 2017 at 05:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Neurad1

p.19 #10 · p.19 #10 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Since I have lethal GAS, I am undeniably curious about this lens. The Sony 16-35 F4 is my most used lens and I have a pretty good copy, though. Unless this lens proves to be WAY better than the F4, "faster" is not reason enough for me to buy it. I use F4 stopped down most of the time anyway, and have the Batis 18 and Loxia 21 for fast WA. So I can't see buying this one unless it proves to be stellar by a majority of reviewers.

Jun 05, 2017 at 09:07 PM
Mirror

p.19 #11 · p.19 #11 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Neurad1 wrote:
Since I have lethal GAS, I am undeniably curious about this lens. The Sony 16-35 F4 is my most used lens and I have a pretty good copy, though. Unless this lens proves to be WAY better than the F4, "faster" is not reason enough for me to buy it. I use F4 stopped down most of the time anyway, and have the Batis 18 and Loxia 21 for fast WA. So I can't see buying this one unless it proves to be stellar by a majority of reviewers.

Well, for me it is worth switching from f4. For under 200 gr. more you will get f2.8. This is a big point. Churches, astro-photography aso. will be pointing with it. Also the focus-button is a great feature vs. the Zeiss f4 and the manual focusing obviously has been improved quite noticeable. I plan to take it as general zoom to complement with some fast primes (35/50/85), the 24-70GM was always a bit too long for my needs. Then the colors. The Zeiss generated me too brownish colors, actually I like the GM contrast and colors better, especially for landscape. With f2.8 @35mm I can imagine also some portrait shots when a fast prime has been left in the Hotel. Here the Zeiss has it's weakest point IMO. Overall Sony must simply deliver a better package for this price. We will need to wait for more tests.

Jun 06, 2017 at 07:19 AM
dgpfotografia

p.19 #12 · p.19 #12 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Looks like 12-24 is already shipping in Europe: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-sony-12-24mm-g-alreayd-stock-europe-pchstore/ , probably other shops worldwide will get copies soon.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:01 PM
Bespoked
• • •
p.19 #13 · p.19 #13 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

It's been available in Australia since yesterday, even on eBay (at a gouging premium).

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/263045766202

For a rumour site, SAR sure is slow with the latest news.

We get ours Monday.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:41 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.19 #14 · p.19 #14 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Bespoked wrote:
If you're in business (or not) and you're buying a fair bit of stock, the retailer should look after you, they really need all the business they can get and my favourite salesman makes regular decent (not great) commission on our sales, he deserves it. He also lets me know of deals and gives me some heads up if he is aware of a new item etc. He's good with a Sony (and Zeiss) rep and I get some of that info too, I look after him by not blabbing about it.

I have a favourite retailer that looks after me like this as well. No issues with returns or exchanges, inside scoops on deals, and he usually sells me Sony gear well below the prices "allowed" by Sony (don't believe anyone who tells you retail margins are tight on Sony gear...). In return, I don't blab about it because it might get him in hot water with Sony.

Jun 22, 2017 at 02:26 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.19 #15 · p.19 #15 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

molson wrote:
I have a favourite retailer that looks after me like this as well. No issues with returns or exchanges, inside scoops on deals, and he usually sells me Sony gear well below the prices "allowed" by Sony (don't believe anyone who tells you retail margins are tight on Sony gear...). In return, I don't blab about it because it might get him in hot water with Sony.

generally, you should be able to get sony USA models for only slightly higher than import prices you see on ebay.

I know for the 16-35 GM, if the reviews are favorable, I'm not paying more than 2K for that, I expect to save at least 10% via greentoe. You can probably get the 24-70gm for that price on GT. The fact that the lenses are made in thailand suggests these items are highly profitable for sony.... gotta do my best to undercut their profits for myself

Jun 22, 2017 at 04:04 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.19 #16 · p.19 #16 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Charlie N wrote:
generally, you should be able to get sony USA models for only slightly higher than import prices you see on ebay.

I would rather buy something with a valid Canadian warranty, which typically costs less than Sony USA products anyway.

Jun 22, 2017 at 04:51 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.19 #17 · p.19 #17 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

molson wrote:
I would rather buy something with a valid Canadian warranty, which typically costs less than Sony USA products anyway.

You can get any Sony lens for less in Canada than the US and that does not even take into account dealing with the local shops nor the unknown shipping / brokerage fees from the US.

Jun 22, 2017 at 05:06 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.19 #18 · p.19 #18 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

chez wrote:
You can get any Sony lens for less in Canada than the US and that does not even take into account dealing with the local shops nor the unknown shipping / brokerage fees from the US.

Especially now that the infamous UPS "surprise" duty and brokerage charges are back at my favourite US store...

Jun 22, 2017 at 05:10 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password