FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25      
       27       28       29       end

Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

LostBoyNZ

Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #1 · p.26 #1 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Luvwine wrote:
Yes. I did not find a lot of value in that posting. Comparing the 12-24 and 16-35 without a landscape image nor any 100% crops seemed odd. Subjective comments about build quality and image quality are fine, but obviously we are used to much more insightful and objectively based information from LR.

Strange he kept mentioning how the 16-35mm f/4 was the heaviest of the three too. It's actually the lightest.

Aug 06, 2017 at 04:26 AM
Parariss
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #2 · p.26 #2 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Messier77 wrote:
New comparison from LensRentals. They're a fan of the 16-35mm f/2.8 GM.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/08/comparing-sony-ultra-wides-zoom-lenses/

Wow. I can't believe that was posted on lensrentals.

Aug 06, 2017 at 05:08 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.26 #3 · p.26 #3 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

It did absolutely nothing for me.

Luvwine wrote:
Yes. I did not find a lot of value in that posting. Comparing the 12-24 and 16-35 without a landscape image nor any 100% crops seemed odd. Subjective comments about build quality and image quality are fine, but obviously we are used to much more insightful and objectively based information from LR.

Aug 06, 2017 at 05:27 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.26 #4 · p.26 #4 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Messier77 wrote:
New comparison from LensRentals. They're a fan of the 16-35mm f/2.8 GM.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/08/comparing-sony-ultra-wides-zoom-lenses/

Well apart from the facc that i would agree that the GM betters the ZA a fairly nonsensical review as he gets the weights wrong and really can't understand how he can say that the GM is less durable when it's been on the market for around 2 weeks!!!. No talk of corners sharpness which is one area where the GM knocks the ZA into the long grass, Pretty much a pointless bit of reading which tells you nothing. Sorry

Aug 06, 2017 at 06:59 AM
stevei
• • •
p.26 #5 · p.26 #5 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Parariss wrote:
Wow. I can't believe that was posted on lensrentals.

That seems to be the only article written by him:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/author/phillip-pettit/

I'd guess it was an experiment by Roger to see if he can get other people writing some types of content to let him focus more on other work.

Aug 06, 2017 at 09:06 PM
Blueshound
• •
p.26 #6 · p.26 #6 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

stevei wrote:
That seems to be the only article written by him:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/author/phillip-pettit/

I'd guess it was an experiment by Roger to see if he can get other people writing some types of content to let him focus more on other work.

That seems likely, from reading the article. The factual errors somewhat undermine any cred that the piece might have otherwise had.

Brian

Aug 06, 2017 at 11:03 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.26 #7 · p.26 #7 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

This gets confusing sometimes.

Lensrentals is this really huge company that I founded but now own a minority share in. They aren't blowing smoke when they say they're the largest photo rental company in the US. I haven't ever met half the employees. There are lots of people working there that if you asked who I am, they would have no idea. I direct QA, optical testing, and repair which is a small, 8 person department that interacts with the area managers.

I entirely own this other little company, Olaf Optical Testing, that I spun off from Lensrentals. I split my time between LRs QA and repair, and testing at Olaf. (About 1/3 of Olaf's work is testing for Lensrentals, so it's all incestuous and confusing.)

As part of our arrangement everything I blog (if it's MTF tests, it's actually from Olaf; if it's a teardown, it's from Lensrentals) gets published on Lensrental's blog. It's not my blog, it's Lensrental's blog.

They also publish stuff that other employees and guest bloggers put up there. But I don't edit it, I'm not in charge of it, and if my name isn't on it, I saw it probably two days after you did (as in this case) because I only sign on to the blog platform to answer questions on my articles.

They are trying to develop content other than mine which is a good thing that I support. Geek articles are fun and you guys love them, but they honestly don't generate a lot of traffic and they would like traffic. I do know some of the techs that are writing them. They're very knowledgable techs, but techs tend to think "I'll spend 20 hours doing this comparison and an hour writing it up". They learn that doesn't work after a post or two.

Roger

Aug 07, 2017 at 12:16 AM
pleaseshoot

p.26 #8 · p.26 #8 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

RCicala wrote:

Lensrentals is this really huge company that I founded but now own a minority share in. They aren't blowing smoke when they say they're the largest photo rental company in the US. I haven't ever met half the employees. There are lots of people working there that if you asked who I am, they would have no idea. I direct QA, optical testing, and repair which is a small, 8 person department that interacts with the area managers.

I entirely own this other little company, Olaf Optical Testing, that I spun off from Lensrentals. I split
...Show more

Hi Roger,

After reading many of your blogs and tests, I was really excited when I saw the comparison on LR blog was up. While reading, a juxtaposition in content became more and more evident. I thought "oh well, that guy seems to likes the 16-35 GM and it's better than no news at all, right?" With that said, what are your thoughts on the 16-35gm? Have you tested it yet?

Best,
Jordan

Aug 07, 2017 at 12:59 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.26 #9 · p.26 #9 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

RCicala wrote:

I entirely own this other little company, Olaf Optical Testing, that I spun off from Lensrentals. I split
...Show more

By the negative reaction to the article, it's pretty obvious it wasn't written by you.
We are really dying to see the 16-35GM MTFs!!
Do you have a timeframe for us?
Take care,
Fred

Aug 07, 2017 at 01:06 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.26 #10 · p.26 #10 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Roger's comment on that article: "I do not have 10 copies tested yet. From what I have done, it looks superb at 16mm, fading in performance towards 35mm as most of the 16-35 zooms do. Itís different than the Canon Ė not as sharp in the center for certain, but at 16mm itís more even across the entire field. Some will prefer it to the Canon, no question. But it wonít numerically outperform it, Iím afraid, so no fanboy fodder."

Aug 07, 2017 at 04:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Viramati
• • •
p.26 #11 · p.26 #11 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Roger's comment on that article: "I do not have 10 copies tested yet. From what I have done, it looks superb at 16mm, fading in performance towards 35mm as most of the 16-35 zooms do. Itís different than the Canon Ė not as sharp in the center for certain, but at 16mm itís more even across the entire field. Some will prefer it to the Canon, no question. But it wonít numerically outperform it, Iím afraid, so no fanboy fodder."

Intersting as I had missed this. My copy certainly seems to be producing a level of sharpness at 35mm that I wasn't seeing on the ZA version and I think that it is more even across the frame make a big and important difference to general performance.

Aug 07, 2017 at 05:10 AM
IsabellaR

p.26 #12 · p.26 #12 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Itís different than the Canon Ė not as sharp in the center for certain, but at 16mm itís more even across the entire field. Some will prefer it to the Canon, no question. But it wonít numerically outperform it, Iím afraid, so no fanboy fodder."

Anyway, DXO will classify it as significantly better than the Canon

Aug 07, 2017 at 06:21 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.26 #13 · p.26 #13 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

IsabellaR wrote:

We certainly don't need to worry that those fanboys will run out of ammunition

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:13 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.26 #14 · p.26 #14 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

RCicala wrote:
They're very knowledgable techs, but techs tend to think "I'll spend 20 hours doing this comparison and an hour writing
it up". They learn that doesn't work after a post or two.

Roger

So true, Roger!

I also appreciate you clearing things up in the rest of the post.

Aug 07, 2017 at 07:53 AM
Aztatlan
• •
p.26 #15 · p.26 #15 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Phillip Reeve wrote:

Sounds good to me. I can't remember the last modern lens I looked at that offered unsatisfactory centre sharpness even wide open - it's always the edges/corners that let a lens down, if anything does. At least in my book. Happy to sacrifice a bit of central sharpness for more consistent edge-to-edge performance.

I have tested the EF 16-35III on my A7RII and was very impressed (although the copy was decentred, so only half the lens was good.) If the 16-35GM offers a broadly comparable performance I'll be a happy camper - hopefully with less vignette though.

Aug 07, 2017 at 08:30 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.26 #16 · p.26 #16 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

So far I haven't vignetting to be an issue as the lens correction profile in LR CC seems to do a good job not resulting in any loss of detail. There is some there but it certainly isn't in any what I would call extreme

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:05 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.26 #17 · p.26 #17 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Fred Miranda wrote:
Do you have a timeframe for us?
Take care,
Fred

I've done 5 copies and while I have plenty of copies in stock, I'm badly backed up with several things right now. Additionally, our tech who runs the MTF bench is out for a month so I'm having to do them myself when time allows and I'm having to miss a lot of office time for family matters right now.

There's a chance I get them finished this week, but it may well be next week.

Aug 07, 2017 at 11:07 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.26 #18 · p.26 #18 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

IsabellaR wrote:

I have no doubt that they will classify it as the best 16-35 ever made.

Aug 07, 2017 at 11:11 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.26 #19 · p.26 #19 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

I have the 16-35/2.8 GM coming this week and will compare it to the 12-24/4 G and 35/2.8 ZA. I can't imagine it will be better than the 12-24/4 @16mm and 24mm but I'm curious to test it out. The 35/2.8 ZA is very good at landscape distance starting from wide open so that will be a tough challenge for the new GM zoom.
Hopefully, I get a good copy from the start.

Aug 07, 2017 at 02:39 PM
Aztatlan
• •
p.26 #20 · p.26 #20 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G

Fred Miranda wrote:
I have the 16-35/2.8 GM coming this week and will compare it to the 12-24/4 G and 35/2.8 ZA. I can't imagine it will be better than the 12-24/4 @16mm and 24mm but I'm curious to test it out. The 35/2.8 ZA is very good at landscape distance starting from wide open so that will be a tough challenge for the new GM zoom.
Hopefully, I get a good copy from the start.

I look forward to your testing.

I want the GM to be good - I'd much prefer it to the 12-24. Needing to use 150mm filters is very off putting; I've been through that with my Tamron 15-30 before and would really like to avoid doing it again.

Aug 07, 2017 at 09:01 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password