Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
13
       14              16       17       end
  

Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G
  
 
Matt Kerby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #1 · p.13 #1 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


I've got the 100-400, 12-24 and the MC-11 all on backorder at Adorama..Wish I could just fast forward to August....I'm not the most patient man when it comes to being a consumer...3 day shipping is a stretch for me...



May 19, 2017 at 05:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #2 · p.13 #2 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


Justin Stone wrote:
In for one 16-35 from adorama and one from Amazon for $1699. Hope they honor the price. Expect they won't but who knows.

I expect based on some of these artisan reviews that the 16-35 corners will wipe the floor with the 12-24's.

As for Fred getting advance copies, it is def an easy thing to become a Sony artisan. Send them some pics and prove you have two cameras and G lenses and you're in. Fred's picks are actually very good to boot! Way more than what some of these guys have going for them.


I don't want to be an artisan. I could be wrong about this but I don't think they can really speak their minds.
With a right contact I may be able to get pre-production models. It was pretty easy when I was shooting Canon.

The 16-35 GM and 100-400 GM are two lenses I was waiting for and I am hoping they will be great performers. I pre-ordered both.



May 19, 2017 at 07:29 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #3 · p.13 #3 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


No they can't and you don't want to be either. Your more valuable here anyway. Now getting gear early is different. B&H , Adorama are good sources to make that connection. Your not into selling a product but giving your opinion.

I would personally like to work with Adorama somehow. These kinds of relationships are based on friendship not a certain product.



May 19, 2017 at 07:43 PM
jeremy_clay
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #4 · p.13 #4 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


Fred Miranda wrote:
The 16-35 GM and 100-400 GM are two lenses I was waiting for and I am hoping they will be great performers. I pre-ordered both.


100-400 is going to be a huge deal if it performs as hoped.



May 19, 2017 at 07:52 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #5 · p.13 #5 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


GMPhotography wrote:
No they can't and you don't want to be either. Your more valuable here anyway. Now getting gear early is different. B&H , Adorama are good sources to make that connection. Your not into selling a product but giving your opinion.


Did you pre-order any lens Guy? As you know I was waiting for the 16-35/2.8 GM and was hoping it would be much lighter than the 24-70GM because of the mirrorless advantage at this range. I'm very happy when I saw it was only 150 grams heavier than the f/4 version. The question is: How much better is it?

I don't think I will replace the CV 12 at only 280 grams for the new ultra-wide 12-24 zoom so my landscape set-up will probably be CV 12, 16-35 GM, Loxia 50 and ZM 85 (Or Loxia 85)...Although I'll find a space in my bag for the Loxia 21/2.8.



May 19, 2017 at 07:54 PM
Charlie N
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #6 · p.13 #6 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


Fred Miranda wrote:
I don't want to be an artisan. I could be wrong about this but I don't think they can really speak their minds.
With a right contact I may be able to get pre-production models. It was pretty easy when I was shooting Canon.

The 16-35 GM and 100-400 GM are two lenses I was waiting for and I am hoping they will be great performers. I pre-ordered both.


you dont have to be an artisan. Max yurev has access to sony stuff, and has no problems recommending other stuff to sony.



May 19, 2017 at 07:54 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #7 · p.13 #7 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


Fred Miranda wrote:
Did you pre-order any lens Guy? As you know I was waiting for the 16-35/2.8 GM and was hoping it would be much lighter than the 24-70GM because of the mirrorless advantage at this range. I'm very happy when I saw it was only 150 grams heavier than the f/4 version. The question is: How much better is it?

I don't think I will replace the CV 12 at only 280 grams for the new ultra-wide 12-24 zoom so my landscape set-up will probably be CV 12, 16-35 GM, Loxia 50 and ZM 85 (Or Loxia 85)...Although I'll find
...Show more

I'm going to get the 16-35 for sure. I did not pre order it yet though. May not have too at it's cost maybe not a lot of folks will go for it but I am for sure. I'm keeping my CV 12 as well. Batis 18 I will have to wait and see how they compare. I'm going to slow down a little as I'm raising funds for a A9 and vertical grip in a few weeks. I don't want to put my A7r II doing another 15 k on it in July. The A9 is perfect for these shows so want to get it before that.



May 19, 2017 at 08:01 PM
stevesanacore
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #8 · p.13 #8 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


Pixel Perfect wrote:
Based on the dpreview images the Canon is in a whiole different class, as it should be for the price. How it compares to the SIgma will be more interesting, but those dpreview shots where underwhelming as was the A9 AF. Not one single action shot was truly sharp, maybe that was the AF of the lens, and distortion is very high at edges and corners, but then again it's dpreview and I've never seen many good test shots from them for any lens.


That's dissapointing to hear. I don't understand why they would make anything less than excellent in such an extreme focal length. The Canon is excellent but very heavy on the Sony... Oh well, I'll still wait and see before committing.



May 19, 2017 at 08:34 PM
stevesanacore
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #9 · p.13 #9 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


Guy, please be more positive, Sony needs to make a 35 f2 for us! It would sell like crazy!

GMPhotography wrote:
Well we can think about this for awhile now

12-24 July 31
16-35 August 31

B&H

I'm just going to put it on the back burner with decision making. Keep building my system. Going to grab a A9 on release with 3 batteries total and vertical grip. Hold onto my A7r II as well . But not sure I'm going to buy lenses at this time. Right now I can certainly get by with a CV12, Batis 18, Sigma 24-35, Sony 35 1.4 ( yes I bought my 5th one ) Sony 85 1.8 and my Sigma 135 1.8. I will switch
...Show more



May 19, 2017 at 08:49 PM
jeremy_clay
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #10 · p.13 #10 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


I want to test free Sony stuff! I'm shooting a ton of agency girls and guys for various editorial projects, who do I reach out to for access?


May 19, 2017 at 09:22 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



SoundHound
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #11 · p.13 #11 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


Probably best to wait for the reviews and tests. Canon's third try at 16-35 F2.8 has so much vignetting at 16mm F2.8 that it's better to buy their 16-35 F4.0. Cheaper and with VR too.


May 19, 2017 at 09:45 PM
bjornthun
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #12 · p.13 #12 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


stevesanacore wrote:
That's dissapointing to hear. I don't understand why they would make anything less than excellent in such an extreme focal length. The Canon is excellent but very heavy on the Sony... Oh well, I'll still wait and see before committing.


When looking at the Dpreview samples, you should pay attention to the aperture selected for each image. The other thing is that they don't comment on curvature of field or focus point, so it's hard to know if the images are good or not. I definitely hold off any judgement for now. I hope to see some proper tests here on FM, which will be much more valuable.



May 19, 2017 at 09:50 PM
Justin Stone
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #13 · p.13 #13 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


Fair enough. Souls are useful! While many may be soulless, I don't think they are all shills! Anyway, would love for you to be able to get early copies to put them through the paces, however you have to do it.

Fred Miranda wrote:
I don't want to be an artisan. I could be wrong about this but I don't think they can really speak their minds.
With a right contact I may be able to get pre-production models. It was pretty easy when I was shooting Canon.

The 16-35 GM and 100-400 GM are two lenses I was waiting for and I am hoping they will be great performers. I pre-ordered both.




May 19, 2017 at 10:56 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #14 · p.13 #14 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


82mm filter thread, that is crazy. All of my old RZ lenses were only 77mm and those were huge. I can't imagine such a large lens on such a small mirrorless body. I would think the balance would be pretty unbalanced.

Sony gear, especially their lenses are too expensive.



May 19, 2017 at 11:29 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #15 · p.13 #15 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


Update now B&H is saying July 31st for both lenses. This mornings no it was August 31 for the 16-35.

So I should be hearing a big Yahoo here. Lol

Still a little late for me I'm driving back to Az from Ny I think on the 18th. Dang



May 19, 2017 at 11:43 PM
Gary Clennan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #16 · p.13 #16 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


I have never had a lens with 82mm thread. Will my standard Lee holder system work without vignetting at 16mm?


May 19, 2017 at 11:44 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #17 · p.13 #17 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


MRomine wrote:
82mm filter thread, that is crazy. All of my old RZ lenses were only 77mm and those were huge. I can't imagine such a large lens on such a small mirrorless body. I would think the balance would be pretty unbalanced.

Sony gear, especially their lenses are too expensive.


Almost every 16-35 and or 24-70 2.8 is 82mm. My Sigma 24-35, 135 all 82mm. Sonys GM 24-70 is also. Nikon , Canon don't know don't care. Costs are relative to need. You don't need it don't buy it. Nothing is unbalanced if you hold it correctly. It's a big lens with big IQ and speed, your going to pay for that. Btw the Sony 2.8 is only 160grams heavier than the F4 version.



May 19, 2017 at 11:48 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #18 · p.13 #18 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


Gary Clennan wrote:
I have never had a lens with 82mm thread. Will my standard Lee holder system work without vignetting at 16mm?


Gary your 100mm square should work I would think. More the issue if anything is the filter holder sticking out to far. I can get 2 empty filter rings on the GM 24-70 and the same on my Sigma 24-35 both 82mm



May 19, 2017 at 11:51 PM
MJKoski
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #19 · p.13 #19 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


Canon 16-35/2.8 is 82mm for V2 and V3. Zeiss 18/21mm also 82mm. Zeiss 16-35/2.8 however is 77mm.

Had a look at dpreview sample gallery, the lenses seem to be sharp where the focus point is. Or at least some parts of the photos were always sharp. Few blurred somewhat badly by motion blur. 16-35/2.8 seemed to be a bit smeared on the right side edge but could not say for sure from those pics.

Especially one image had high clarity - the guy sitting in the bus watching his cellphone. It was from 12-24/4 lens. Canon 16-35/2.8 V3 however may be able to deliver more (at least on native body) than this 16-35/2.8 GM excluding vignette problem if that is a problem for someone.



May 19, 2017 at 11:54 PM
GabrielPhoto
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #20 · p.13 #20 · Pre-order Now! Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM and FE 12-24/4 G


GMPhotography wrote:
Almost every 16-35 and or 24-70 2.8 is 82mm. My Sigma 24-35, 135 all 82mm. Sonys GM 24-70 is also. Nikon , Canon don't know don't care. Costs are relative to need. You don't need it don't buy it. Nothing is unbalanced if you hold it correctly. It's a big lens with big IQ and speed, your going to pay for that. Btw the Sony 2.8 is only 160grams heavier than the F4 version.

+100000000 I will never get the obsession with this "unbalanced" comments. These are not point and shoot cameras...hold them correctly, as GMPhotography mentioned, and its all good. The only lens I have tried that I will call unbalanced is the old Canon FD 300mm 2.8 Fluorite (the black version). All the weight was on the front element so instead of holding the lens by the body like any other big lens I have owned, on that one you basically had to grab it by the front element area..it was weird




May 20, 2017 at 12:55 AM
1       2       3              12      
13
       14              16       17       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
13
       14              16       17       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password