Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

True fine art paper/printing

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · True fine art paper/printing

In the process of bringing a sample matted album (I posted here a while back for C&C) I am thinking about TRUE fine art printing which, apparently, is the best of the best but quite expensive.

So the question here today is what do you think about TRUE fine art printing in the wedding albums ? Is it worth that extra cost ? or regular good photographic paper/printing will make it for the client's eye ?

Thank you all !

May 17, 2017 at 08:49 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · True fine art paper/printing

I ordered the "fine-art" prints from my album supplier and wasn't super impressed. Just thought it was sort of mediocre. That being said, I love to print my own photos and have used every companies sample pack I can find and have found a combination of paper and printing techniques that I absolutely love and I am dabbling in my own matted albums vs flush mount. It just looks insanely better.

May 17, 2017 at 01:09 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · True fine art paper/printing

How are you defining 'true' fine art printing Jamie?

I am selling Folio Albums to my clients, and they've been my only album offering for well over 5 years. They are printed on Epson Pro printers and they look amazing. A cut above 'photographic' printing IMHO.

May 17, 2017 at 01:13 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · True fine art paper/printing

Great question !

High quality cotton paper with high quality inkjet printing, many labs are offering fine art and they give off-set printing in who knows what kind of paper !

tonyhart wrote:
How are you defining 'true' fine art printing Jamie?

May 17, 2017 at 02:34 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · True fine art paper/printing

Ok, so that tallies with what Folio Albums do. Fine art papers (cotton based largely, their entry level is wood pulp based) and inkjet printing. For me they are a A* company. Fantastic product from start to finish.

May 17, 2017 at 02:37 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · True fine art paper/printing

It can be a lot better. B&w on colour OBA enhancd paper never looks good.

I say can because the papers vary wildly. Many of these watercolour-like papers are horrible imo it makes the print look like it was run through a photocopier and nothing like traditional darkroom fibre paper.

May 17, 2017 at 02:45 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · True fine art paper/printing

I was looking into a 14x17 album which would be printed on paper with an inkjet printer on fine paper and then hand bound. At that size it made sense to invest in a high end inkjet printer (ink costs are less with the larger format printers with their much larger ink tanks.

With inkjet you need protective sheets between the pages as the prints are much more delicate than conventional photo paper processed by a lab. Ink jet prints are much more readily damaged by mechanical abrasion or chemical contamination (an entire wing in the Met had prints badly damaged by the new floor wax that was used).

You do need to try to determine what the market is for the album and how much your prospective clients will pay. I have found that photographers are more enthusiastic about very large fine art type albums than the brides.

May 17, 2017 at 08:38 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · True fine art paper/printing

elkhornsun wrote:
With inkjet you need protective sheets between the pages as the prints are much more delicate than conventional photo paper processed by a lab. Ink jet prints are much more readily damaged by mechanical abrasion or chemical contamination (an entire wing in the Met had prints badly damaged by the new floor wax that was used).

This can not be over emphasized, they are gorgeous but very delicate and IMO they are more safely displayed in a matted album than in a flash album.

May 17, 2017 at 08:43 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · True fine art paper/printing

Yeah, it may be too much of a pricey extra for not appreciation at all !

elkhornsun wrote:
I have found that photographers are more enthusiastic about very large fine art type albums than the brides.

May 17, 2017 at 08:48 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · True fine art paper/printing

I've only ever had flush-mount albums from Folio and I have some samples that are over 5 years old. Despite a lot of viewing (compared to what a customer album might get) I've seen no issues whatsoever. A kid drew on the corner of a page, but that's not an inherent design issue!

May 18, 2017 at 10:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · True fine art paper/printing

tonyhart wrote:
I've only ever had flush-mount albums from Folio and I have some samples that are over 5 years old. Despite a lot of viewing (compared to what a customer album might get) I've seen no issues whatsoever. A kid drew on the corner of a page, but that's not an inherent design issue!

I wonder if we are talking about two different processes here? Are the Folio products ink jet printed or are they a CMYK process? I couldn't find quickly one way or the other by looking at their web site.

Edited on May 18, 2017 at 01:17 PM · View previous versions

May 18, 2017 at 12:38 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · True fine art paper/printing

MRomine wrote:
I wonder if wee are talking about two different processes here? Are the Folio products ink jet printed or are they a CMYK process? I couldn't find quickly one way or the other by looking at their web site.

They are inkjet printed.

May 18, 2017 at 12:39 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · True fine art paper/printing

tonyhart wrote:
They are inkjet printed.

Very interesting, so someone has actually overcome the biggest flaw of ink jet printing, the delicate surface.

May 18, 2017 at 01:19 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · True fine art paper/printing

MRomine wrote:
Very interesting, so someone has actually overcome the biggest flaw of ink jet printing, the delicate surface.

They are printed on big Epson's. 4900's possibly if I recall from an Instagram photo I saw a while back. Let me try and find the image: https://www.instagram.com/p/lhlUNYm2ut/

The albums arrive with loose sheets between the pages (I believe this is incase, despite adequate drying time something is still not 100% cured) but I always remove these loose sheets before sending on to the customer. I've yet to have any issues with print surfaces. Obviously it's a 'hands off' situation and the literature suggests touching page edges rather than print surface, but having the books closed doesn't seem to do any damage whatsoever.

If you have questions, fire a message to Stewart Randall, the founder or one of his team and mention that I sent you. They're all hugely helpful and friendly people.

May 18, 2017 at 01:23 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · True fine art paper/printing

tonyhart wrote:
They are printed on big Epson's. 4900's possibly if I recall from an Instagram photo I saw a while back. Let me try and find the image: https://www.instagram.com/p/lhlUNYm2ut/

Whatever you do, don't buy one of these for yourself. Horrendous reviews on Amazon.

May 18, 2017 at 01:59 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · True fine art paper/printing

MRomine wrote:
Whatever you do, don't buy one of these for yourself. Horrendous reviews on Amazon.

I have a 3880 and am reasonably pleased with it. I use it for non album prints.

May 18, 2017 at 02:00 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · True fine art paper/printing

Bit more info here:

https://www.epson.co.uk/insights/casestudy/folio-albums-relies-on-epson-technology-for-professional-photos

May 18, 2017 at 02:04 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · True fine art paper/printing

Graphi too !

MRomine wrote:

May 18, 2017 at 02:52 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · True fine art paper/printing

jmraso wrote:
So the question here today is what do you think about TRUE fine art printing in the wedding albums ? Is it worth that extra cost ? or regular good photographic paper/printing will make it for the client's eye ?

Are you going to charge extra for this or take a dive on your profit margins?

Are you going to be looking at this because it will impress the clients, allow you to get more bookings, get a higher return for your work or just massage your own ego for the sake of doing something " Better" that you already wonder if the client will appreciate?

Having a business rather than artist mentality, I only incur higher costs in what I do for a beneficial return on that investment. If the client will like the result of the added expense, if it will give me something that is more marketable, will make me stand out from competitors, give me something I can charge a higher rate as a multiplied cost and the CLIENTS will have a greater desire to own it over the cheaper method, then it may be worth while to me once I crunch the numbers.

If it's just because it's somehow " better", better being in it's ability to massage my own ego, I am all kinds of fked up these days but yet to become that pre occupied with the artistic mentality over a profit driven one.
I understand that is different to so many people here who run a business primarily for their own satisfaction so you need to look at why you are doing it and what you want honestly.
If it makes you feel better, and that is why you are in the game in the first place, Fine.

If it is to ultimately make more money out of your business, then you need to do your homework and see if the clients appreciate it enough to pay more for it and increase your bottom line.
Just because it's " Better" may not mean the Clients like it more or see greater value in it.

If what one is doing presently is not broken, maybe one should ask themselves what it is exactly they are trying to Fix before they change anything?

May 18, 2017 at 10:59 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · True fine art paper/printing

Michael Howard on FB from Musea does a lot of "fine art" printing.
Also Robert Cavalli from Still Moving Pictures does ultra high end fine art prints as well.
He specializes in dark room work being a master printer but he has done some inkjet prints for me and they were stellar.

May 19, 2017 at 02:03 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password