New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2017 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

I was a Canon man for many years and went the way of Sony in 2012 but I miss Canon lenses
I end up adapting so many Canon lens to Sony anyway

I'm not happy with the lack of lenses Sony has and there high cost and Canon has it down when it comes to there many lenses with great used prices too

Can someone help me out before I pull the trigger on the Sony A7RII or the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV ?
Thanks
I presently have the Sony A7

Edited on May 16, 2017 at 09:56 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2017 at 09:41 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

5Div, you want canon lenses, so the choice is simple

May 16, 2017 at 09:54 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Do you use MF glass or OCF a lot?

May 16, 2017 at 09:59 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

I guess it depends a bit on what lenses you need.

Sony has a series of very high quality "most used" focal lengths that have all gotten really spectacular reviews--I am talking about the 28/2, the 35/2.8, the 55/1.8, the 85/1.8, and the 90 f/2.8 macro--and that sell for very moderate prices, especially given their superb performance. Again, see reviews of these lenses. I just bought a like-new 35 f/2.8 today for $500, and the lens is sharp across the frame right out of the box at 2.8.

In addition, you have the eight Batis and Loxia lenses from Zeiss, each of which is a special lens that yields beautiful image properties.

Then you have a strong and rapidly growing range of excellent native zoom lenses. The 2.8 GM versions of these lenses are pricey, but they are new lens designs and everything gets image stabilized--something that Canon does not offer on many of their lenses. The place where Sony is weakest is in long lenses where Canon is truly superb, but Sony is starting to offer lenses in this category.

Canon does have a greater range of lenses--more macro lenses, T/S lenses, and beautiful special lenses like the 50L f/1.2, the 85L f/1.2, the 11-24L f/4 and others. But Sony is adding interesting lenses and apparently is about to add even more. Canon lenses are truly the present strength of the brand, and they are wonderful lenses. But you can use them on Sony with adapters, and the adaptation process is getting better all the time.

So, what exactly is it you are missing?

I shifted from Canon when the 5dIV was introduced. i was very disappointed by the minimal improvement in the sensor technology and in the size of the camera. Canon changes these models only every 4 years, and the 5div at introduction was well behind two year old cameras from Sony and Nikon. By the time Canon updates the 5dIV, Sony and Nikon will be two camera generations ahead.

I loved Canon cameras, and I still think that Canon is a superb professional workhorse. I have used them since the intro of the EOS mount in 1987 when their autofocus technology left Minolta and Nikon in the dust. Ergonomically and in terms of speed of operation and just WORKING in a fast, straightforward way, they are still the leaders. With Canon, you can take the picture as fast as you can get the camera to your eye, and the camera will never let you down. But I think they have fallen behind in sensor and image quality and Sony is gaining fast in ergonomics and speed of reliable operation.

The 5dIV and 5ds r are not far in price from the A9. You might want to hang out for a bit and see what new Sony bodies get announced in the next few months.

Edited on May 16, 2017 at 10:23 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2017 at 10:08 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

I strongly suggest to rent the 5D IV and see how it performs with your Canon lenses. I was in the store the other day and was testing out the 5D IV with the 85 Art and 135 Art since they did not have the 85/135 Art in Nikon mount. Personally I feel the 5D IV is a great balance of size/weight and performance and in particular if you are using Canon lenses. I still love a number of Canon lenses like the 50L and 85L II and I would "almost" pick one up for this reason alone

May 16, 2017 at 10:22 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

mb126 wrote:
Do you use MF glass or OCF a lot?

Do both, manual because it's on the Sony

May 16, 2017 at 10:36 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

charles.K wrote:
I strongly suggest to rent the 5D IV and see how it performs with your Canon lenses. I was in the store the other day and was testing out the 5D IV with the 85 Art and 135 Art since they did not have the 85/135 Art in Nikon mount. Personally I feel the 5D IV is a great balance of size/weight and performance and in particular if you are using Canon lenses. I still love a number of Canon lenses like the 50L and 85L II and I would "almost" pick one up for this reason alone

I think renting would be a wish way to go

May 16, 2017 at 10:38 PM
tylerdurden801
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

I don't think I'll ever have a main body without an EVF again, it's just too hard to do a critical focus check in an OVF and LV only works in certain light. On a FF body it's too easy to think you've nailed focus when you haven't. Zebras are pretty nice to have as well. I love a lot of Canon lenses (for the money I'd love to go back to Canon), and if they come out with a decent mirrorless option I'll consider it, but only if they close the sensor gap considerably. For all the things I don't like about shooting Sony, the results are still much more satisfying on my 7R than my 5D2. For the shooting I do the keeper rate is much higher as far as focus goes and it's nice having to bracket almost never.

May 16, 2017 at 10:44 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

chiron wrote:
I guess it depends a bit on what lenses you need.

Sony has a series of very high quality "most used" focal lengths that have all gotten really spectacular reviews--I am talking about the 28/2, the 35/2.8, the 55/1.8, the 85/1.8, and the 90 f/2.8 macro--and that sell for very moderate prices, especially given their superb performance. Again, see reviews of these lenses. I just bought a like-new 35 f/2.8 today for $500, and the lens is sharp across the frame right out of the box at 2.8.

In addition, you have the eight Batis and Loxia lenses from Zeiss, each
...Show more

I had the Sony 35mm 2.8 twice, great lens, Sony's long lenses are crazy expensive and some say the A9 is all Sony will introduce this year.
Some say the next A7r will be 70MG but seems Canon and Nikon and stepping back to lower MG
Well be watching, the Sony A7RII came out in Aug of 2015, so maybe this summer

I love the journey of this decision
Thanks

May 16, 2017 at 10:48 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

I'd wait for the A7RIII to be announced. There's no doubt it will a susbtantially better cmera than the A7RII with a lot of features from the A9. Sony takes at least 3 generation s to get it right. There's nothing compelling about the A7's at the moment, but the A9 has shown us the all electronic camera has come of age. 5D4 will have several huge advantages over A7RII such as ergonomics, battery life, AF, better range of lenses that are generally more affordable.

But I eagerly await A7RIII, A9R they may well be enough to entice me to swap my 5DsR (not my 5D4).

May 16, 2017 at 10:50 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Weight would be the only reason I consider Sony. Prefer OVF camera even it has its minus compare to EVF.

Ask yourself What is not like about canon? Sensor performance is overrated for most photography.

Having said that, I might get A7RII for traveling and as aback up camera for Leica or vise versa. 35&55 Zony are super light with great performance cover most important focal length to me.

But if I can only have one system, canon (or Nikon) for sure. As they are reaching the point almost perfect for anything save for bigger size and weight.

May 16, 2017 at 11:00 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

If buying today, ask yourself:

Does it move? -> Canon
Otherwise: Sony

If not buying today, wait for the A7 III's as Wayne mentioned above. Hopefully some of the ergonomic and UI advances in the A9 will trickle down. And if they don't? Buy Canon .

May 16, 2017 at 11:14 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

To me, it would be about wanting to actually use the camera. I like to shoot with the Canon, but don't like to carry it around. I don't like to shoot with the Sony, but love its resolution. I only use the Sony with small lenses, because otherwise the weight advantage disappears.

May 17, 2017 at 05:37 AM
scrappydog
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

I used to own the 5D3 and I currently own the A7R2. I have the Loxia 21, but other than that I only shoot adapted Canon, Zeiss, and Voigtlander glass on the Sony.

The IQ of the 5D3 does not remotely approach the IQ of the A7R2. Not even close. The sharpness, detail, and dynamic range of the A7R2 are so much better, even with the same lenses. To put this statement in perspective, if I shoot aperture or shutter priority in contrasty conditions on Canon with no negative exposure compensation, I will clip shots, guaranteed. The A7R2 never clips shots.

That said, there are weaknesses. The EVF blackout when firing rapid shots is a big weakness. The AF tracking of the A7R2 is not to the 5D3 (and I would imagine 5D4) standards, but when the A7R2 locks focus, it is definitely more accurate. The zone focus and accuracy of the A7R2 is better IMO to the 7D2, but not as good as the 5D3 (and presumably the 5D4).

There are a few benefits of the A7R2 beyond the IQ. The EVF is very good, with WYSIWYG exposure. The camera is smaller, lighter, and makes it easier to go small (e.g. for travel). You can charge the battery with a USB charger, including when you are shooting, so I only use one battery and never run out. IBIS gives you image stabilization on any glass (including the Canon 24-70/2.8 II), etc.

The A9 features (no EVF blackout, great AF tracking, two card slots, etc.) pretty much tackle most of the weaknesses of the previous Alpha bodies. I would imagine many of those features will work their way into the replacement to the A7R2. If you stick with Sony, you have that to look forward to. If you get the A7R2, it has weaknesses, but they aren't so substantial that I have felt that I was sacrificing. For me, the IQ gain alone more than makes up for it.

May 17, 2017 at 07:48 AM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

I'm biding my time waiting for Sigma's FE specific lenses. I loved my Sigma Art 35mm 1.4 on the D810. I'm hoping to a FE specific equivalent that manages to be smaller, somehow. I'd even accept F2 for smaller size lens.

May 17, 2017 at 08:26 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Some say the next A7r will be 70MG but seems Canon and Nikon and stepping back to lower MG
Well be watching, the Sony A7RII came out in Aug of 2015, so maybe this summer

If the A9 pricing is any indication, the A7R II replacement will probably hit the streets in the $6k to $7k price range, and still not have any telephoto lenses available.

May 17, 2017 at 09:00 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

But I think they have fallen behind in sensor and image quality

How exactly is this impacting your photography? I have to say I view this as something that is taken largely from photosites such as this, where quality is measured in DXO values. These have dubious connection with real world use. Personally I gave not one thought to sensor differences between Sony A7 series and Canon 5d IV. My considerations are what system I currently have, what lenses do I need and their price, secondhand market, battery life, ergonomics and AF system.

Since the OP already has Sony, if these things are OK for him: keep with Sony, if not then consider changing. I don't think I would change in his case as Sony seem to be getting their act together with respect to lenses - you would just be wasting a lot of money. In my opinion, Canon are also excellent and just because "mirrorless", "innovation", and (urgh) "game changer" are always being mentioned in the same breath as Sony, does not mean that Canon are somehow inferior.

May 17, 2017 at 10:33 AM
DesertFoxPhoto

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

I had the same dilemma a few months back and the main factors that convinced me to upgrade to the 5DMark IV involved the longer battery life, dual card slots, stronger native lens lineup, faster write speeds and not having to shell out $400 for a third party adapter that may or may not get the AF right in a pinch using Canon lenses. I shoot fast paced convention events in low light situations and usually only have one opportunity to nail focus, so I chose Canon glass on a Canon body.

While I missed out on 42MP and extra dynamic range, I'm fine with this since 30MP is enough for my needs and I can still crop and maintain enough resolution for my work if necessary. The dynamic range is roughly one stop of difference and its not a game changer, at least for my situation.

The specs of the Mark IV are good enough for me and I'm sure I'll be satisfied for the next four years of capturing photos with it. Best of luck on your decision and happy shooting!

- Matt H.

May 17, 2017 at 11:05 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

It depends:

1) Battery life favors canon
2) If you using canon lens - get the canon - fussing with adapters and multiple system - ugh
3) Taking pictures in really cold weather - get canon
4) Want mpx get the Sony or get the canon 5dsr
5) if you are familiar with Canon menu system get the canon
6) want a generic body to put all kinds of lens on - get the sony with IS

I tried the a7r (sony) for a year and move to 5dsr (canon) when it came out because I am a cold weather landscape photographer and the Sony does not have tilt shift, the battery life is poor, and it did not work well in cold weather and I did not want two systems (one for wildlife, and one for landscape).

But obviously a whole lot of people came to the conclusion that sony was better - so it depends on your pursuit and preferences (landscape vs other, cold vs warm weather, built in IS vs not, more dynamic range at iso100 vs not....).

I have the 5dsr and 5diii and have concluded that I will skip the 5div because I prefer mpx and 5dsr is adequate for still big wildlife. I am wating for the 5dsr2 to upgrade.

May 17, 2017 at 11:50 AM

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Get the Sony A7RII or Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

molson wrote:
and still not have any telephoto lenses available.

70-200 x2? 70-300? 100-400 anyone? These not telephoto enough for you?

May 17, 2017 at 12:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.