FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Web hosts?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Web hosts?

I'm thinking I'm done with godaddy. Their latest php support is 5.4-5.6 depending on which server I'm on, and php7 is out. I'm thinking that their lack of support of newer php is causing some new wordpress builders to not work (divi).

Anyone have another webhost they've had good luck with?

May 16, 2017 at 08:16 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Web hosts?

i use www.wpengine.com -- they are reliable and fast, but more expensive than most.

May 16, 2017 at 08:54 PM
Michael Beard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Web hosts?

We use DreamPress from Dreamhost. It's fully managed WordPress hosting that is a bit more expensive than typical hosting but the speed and reliability is definitely worth it in my opinion. We used Bluehost before and it was horrible.

May 16, 2017 at 09:07 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Web hosts?

Ugh, I had nightmares with Dreamhost when I hosted a forum on it. It was CONSTANT host-related issues.

I've never had an issue with GD, but I do agree they need to get consistent with their php. I think that's what they're actually trying to accomplish with this latest upgrade they're currently conducting. They actually called me last week about moving my site to the new servers, and the pricing is going down with the move. You should ask them about it, Joey. If it's what the guy told me, I'd just take that route. The move is free, but they just setup the new hosting agreement in place of any charge. (meaning, they move you and activate a new hosting sub, but they refund you any left on your current sub)

May 17, 2017 at 01:10 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Web hosts?

That's good to hear, actually when I talked to someone at GD today they said they have had some servers up that support php 5.6 (but not php7)...newer servers than what I'm currently on. They told me about migrating but php5.6 didn't seem that current compared to php7, and it feels like they're behind the times that way.

No matter what I end up doing, I'm currently in the process of archiving my entire website right now. With my bandwidth that will probably take a full day or two, in the meantime I am editing photos where the groom's face was in full sunlight and the bride was in full shadow, and it's making me remember why I switched to Nikon a few years ago.

May 17, 2017 at 01:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

InSanE
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Web hosts?

Web host is part of the seo game now, local is best.
I would look up what top ranked competition is using.
Always had a dislike for mass hosting like gd.

May 17, 2017 at 09:38 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Web hosts?

Got a report back from the divi (wordpress design/template I picked yesterday) people about why I couldn't get the main builder tool's visual mode to work. Guess why anyone? The php is too old and requires 5.6 or higher.

I don't think I could afford to keep migrating over and over to different hosts based on changing popularity. If I'm going to migrate, it's a big project no matter what. I have several gb of images that have to be re-uploaded and identified by wordpress, plus whatever other big things that have to happen.

May 17, 2017 at 01:52 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Web hosts?

I'm with inmotion, seemed best price bang for the buck.

May 18, 2017 at 03:00 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Web hosts?

I have been with Blue host 6+ years.
No issues that I am aware of.
I have always had good support.
I am on a shared portal.

Not enough traffic for a dedicated ISP.

-Mark

May 18, 2017 at 01:37 PM
Gary Harfield
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Web hosts?

stevez32 wrote:
I'm with inmotion, seemed best price bang for the buck.

Me too

May 19, 2017 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password