FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Let's talk about your back end - File naming

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Let's talk about your back end - File naming

I've been really consistent for file naming for the last several years, but I'm wondering if others have a different/better way of handling. I keep standard camera file names in LR, and assign final names only to the output JPG files (Name Name - MMDDYYYY - 0001.jpg).

Does anyone do file renaming of RAW files before/during processing? Anything to gain from that?

Just a passing thought while editing away today.

May 16, 2017 at 01:59 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Let's talk about your back end - File naming

If I shot Jane & John Smith's wedding today ...

170516jjs-325.jpg

2017 (17)
May (05)
The 16th (16)
Jane & John Smith (jjs)
325th image in the series

Over 90,000 images a year, 12 years of files, I can find anything :-)

We do up to 4 events a day, so sometimes the last three initials are VERY important, lol.

PS - upon injest, I have LR do a timestamp and rename the file based on capture time. So if I search "170516" I would not only see the finished files but also the discards.

May 16, 2017 at 02:12 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Let's talk about your back end - File naming

I do almost exactly what Lee does. Except I do a cull of the absolute crap first .

Gordon

May 16, 2017 at 03:13 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Let's talk about your back end - File naming

I make a folder for the month , may17 and then one for the Job, fredmarywed and Drop the files in that. There may be sub folders for what is going in the album or slideshow or whatever.

Given the amount of hard drives I am accumulating I could use a master file of what is on what drive because finding the drive is much harder than finding what I want when I have the right one.

In the case of weddings, the files are backed up on at least 3 Drives on 2 computers and the cards are not erased until the job is delivered. I'll probably start backing them up onto a USB instead of tying up the cards as the clients get one anyway.

May 16, 2017 at 05:26 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Let's talk about your back end - File naming

Cull in PS, place selects in "Couple_Name_YearMonthDate" folder and bring that into Lightroom. After my final edits + selection, I rename all raw files to "Couple_Name_YearMonthDate_Number" and then export for clients.

If a client has an issue with a photo, they can just tell me "photo number XXX" or "Couple_Name_YearMonthDate_XXX" and it's easy for me to reference that in Lightroom, versus having to figure out which photos are renamed what.

May 16, 2017 at 05:49 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Let's talk about your back end - File naming

Main folders are broken down by year

Subfolders are [ShootType] + [ClientName]

These are then broken down into folders for rejects, picked RAWs, bloged images and delivered jpegs

Delivered files are [ClientName]+[ShootType]+[SequenceNumber]

May 16, 2017 at 06:14 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Let's talk about your back end - File naming

Pretty much identical to Zach. I just don't bother with the year categories. My final archive folders are simply the hiring client's full maiden name.

MarriedLastName_SessionType_FourDigitSequence

It's the last thing I do after the job is complete and ready to export. I just sort by shoot time until the end of processing.

May 16, 2017 at 07:51 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.