Bashful

Busy

Beauty

May 16, 2017 at 11:23 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bashful, Busy and Beauty

Nice idea but the images all look a bit soft to me.

Harold

May 16, 2017 at 12:17 PM
uniqperspectiv
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bashful, Busy and Beauty

Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell what I missed or how to tweak it better?

May 16, 2017 at 12:33 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bashful, Busy and Beauty

uniqperspectiv wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell what I missed or how to tweak it better?

With the bee, you missed the focus and anything I do to try to sharpen it makes things worse.

With the butterfly, the head is sharp but probably not much else. That may be what you intended. Again, trying to sharpen it makes it look awful.

The moth did take a bit of sharpening and I post the original, followed by a sharpened version, which some may not like but which is OK. I removed a small amount of noise.

Essentially, use a smaller aperture to get more DOF and improve your chances of sharp detail. Ideally, use DOF preview if you are framing and focusing at full aperture.

I hope this helps. I expect that you will get other opinions.

Harold

May 16, 2017 at 02:18 PM
uniqperspectiv
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bashful, Busy and Beauty

Yes! That is what I'm looking for in the moth. I was using Auto everything and need to hone in on manual settings.

Thanks again very much.

May 16, 2017 at 03:04 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bashful, Busy and Beauty

Good shots.
Brian V.

May 17, 2017 at 12:22 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bashful, Busy and Beauty

uniqperspectiv wrote:
Yes! That is what I'm looking for in the moth. I was using Auto everything and need to hone in on manual settings.

"Auto everything" can mean various things.

I use auto exposure of a kind, in that I meter off the subject, being careful that it is of representative brightness. I often us AF to get to the desired magnification but then usually switch to manual focus. For daylight exposures I use aperture priority but for flash (always full flash) I use manual mode. ISO is typically 400. Remember to set the camera light balance and watch out for changes (e.g. passing clouds) for daylight exposures.

So far as the subject will allow, take several images in each situation. Use in-camera review to delete bad images but don't trust it too much with what look like keepers. I have never counted but, on average, about 1 in 10 of mine are keepers, sometimes more, sometimes fewer, occasionally none.

Harold

May 17, 2017 at 02:11 AM
uniqperspectiv
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bashful, Busy and Beauty

LordV wrote:
Good shots.
Brian V.

That comment coming from you Brian, I feel encouraged. Thanks for taking time to comment. Your macro is what I aim to achieve.

May 17, 2017 at 10:23 AM
uniqperspectiv
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bashful, Busy and Beauty

e6filmuser wrote:
"Auto everything" can mean various things.

I use auto exposure of a kind, in that I meter off the subject, being careful that it is of representative brightness. I often us AF to get to the desired magnification but then usually switch to manual focus. For daylight exposures I use aperture priority but for flash (always full flash) I use manual mode. ISO is typically 400. Remember to set the camera light balance and watch out for changes (e.g. passing clouds) for daylight exposures.

So far as the subject will allow, take several images in each situation. Use in-camera review to
...Show more

Thank you Harold! Excellent process advice and I'll learn it and apply it.

May 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.